    'failed updates x64' and 'Error Code: 0x80070080' got me searching for a
    windows update catalog for x64 but I haven't found anything helpful.
    Any assistance would be very much appreciated. :)

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9ja2U=?=, Sep 11, 2005

  2. Locke wrote:
    > I posted this in the windows update section also, if two posts on one topic
    > is a faux pas, I sincerely apologize.
    > I got xp x64 installed and went to update. There were 11
    > updates available, but after the installation process they all claim to have
    > failed and I can't locate a way to reinstall them. An hour of googling
    > 'failed updates x64' and 'Error Code: 0x80070080' got me searching for a
    > windows update catalog for x64 but I haven't found anything helpful.
    > Any assistance would be very much appreciated. :)

    Have you looked in the Control Panel's Add/Remove Problems Applet (with
    the "Show Updates" option checked) to see if the updates are truly not
    listed as installed? Have you gone to the Microsoft Update site to
    either rescan and see if any updates still await installation or to
    check your Update installation history?

    I ask these questions because I think that the Update process for
    WinXPx64 is still "flawed." Almost every update I've tried to install
    from Microsoft Update has reported failure, but, upon rescan, I'm never
    offered an opportunity to re-install any of them. Also, every purported
    failed update appears as having been successfully installed under the
    Control Panel's Add/Remove program applet. Further, a search of my hard
    drive indicates that I have the newer versions of systems files
    distributed and installed by the purportedly failed updates.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 11, 2005

  3. On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:48:43 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    <3t> wrote:

    >Locke wrote:
    >> I posted this in the windows update section also, if two posts on one topic
    >> is a faux pas, I sincerely apologize.
    >> I got xp x64 installed and went to update. There were 11
    >> updates available, but after the installation process they all claim to have
    >> failed and I can't locate a way to reinstall them. An hour of googling
    >> 'failed updates x64' and 'Error Code: 0x80070080' got me searching for a
    >> windows update catalog for x64 but I haven't found anything helpful.
    >> Any assistance would be very much appreciated. :)
    >>

    > Have you looked in the Control Panel's Add/Remove Problems Applet (with
    >the "Show Updates" option checked) to see if the updates are truly not
    >listed as installed? Have you gone to the Microsoft Update site to
    >either rescan and see if any updates still await installation or to
    >check your Update installation history?
    >
    > I ask these questions because I think that the Update process for
    >WinXPx64 is still "flawed." Almost every update I've tried to install
    >from Microsoft Update has reported failure, but, upon rescan, I'm never
    >offered an opportunity to re-install any of them. Also, every purported
    >failed update appears as having been successfully installed under the
    >Control Panel's Add/Remove program applet. Further, a search of my hard
    >drive indicates that I have the newer versions of systems files
    >distributed and installed by the purportedly failed updates.

    I can confirm Bruce's analysis. My update situation is the same on
    this system:

    MS Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    Service Pack 1

    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    1 GB Corsair DDR400 512MB X2 RAM
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Motherboard
    ANTEC NEOPOWER 480 PSU
    Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM 8MB 200GB Hard Disk
    Sony DRU710A Double Layer DVD+/-RW 16X
    Asus/Nvidia N6200 Graphics Card

    J. Eric Durbin, Sep 11, 2005
  4. Are you doing this on IE 32-Bit or 64-Bit? I would recommend you set your
    default browser to 32 bit IE and have automatic updates turned on, which is
    probably the most reliable way to acquire the updates. Open Control Panel >
    System > Automatic Updates (tab), select "Automatic (recommended)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 11, 2005
  5. On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:42:02 -0700, "Andre Da Costa"
    <> wrote:

    >Are you doing this on IE 32-Bit or 64-Bit? I would recommend you set your
    >default browser to 32 bit IE and have automatic updates turned on, which is
    >probably the most reliable way to acquire the updates. Open Control Panel >
    >System > Automatic Updates (tab), select "Automatic (recommended)

    In my case, the updates are done using *IE 32bit*.

    The results are as described: uodates show as "Failed" on the MS
    Update site, show as installed in the Installed Programs and
    Components list locally.

    I don't believe the browser used is the problem.

    J. Eric Durbin, Sep 11, 2005
  6. Thank you, I hadn't checked the 'show updates' box in add/remove programs,
    and doing so shows that my update situation mirrors the one you described.
    I'm glad to know that they are actually getting installed, even if the
    process is flawed.

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9ja2U=?=, Sep 12, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TG9ja2U=?=

    PJB Guest

    I get this with XP Pro 32 bit and I reboot and away it downloads. I think
    the windows update is flawed. But I haven't had any problems with XP pro
    x64. YET.

    PJB, Sep 12, 2005
  8. Locke wrote:
    > Thank you, I hadn't checked the 'show updates' box in add/remove programs,
    > and doing so shows that my update situation mirrors the one you described.
    > I'm glad to know that they are actually getting installed, even if the
    > process is flawed.

    You're welcome.

    --

    Bruce Chambers