    Is it possible, or are there issues with using the 32bit version of
    Vista Business to upgrade from the 64bit version of XP Pro?

    Thanks in advance.

    Kayne, Jul 2, 2007

  2. Kayne

    Theo Guest

    There is no upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit.

    There is no upgrade path from 64-bit to 32-bit.

    Either option requires a completely clean install of the OS.
    There are structural differences in the two versions that
    make them totally incompatible for upgrading.

    Theo, Jul 2, 2007

  3. Kayne

    Jane C Guest

    Hi Kayne,

    To further qualify what Theo said, you are entitled to purchase an upgrade
    edition, but you will have to do a clean install.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Shell/User

    Jane C, Jul 2, 2007
  4. Kayne

    Kayne Guest

    On Jul 2, 5:51 pm, "Jane C" <> wrote:
    > Hi Kayne,
    >
    > To further qualify what Theo said, you are entitled to purchase an upgrade
    > edition, but you will have to do a clean install.
    >
    > --
    > Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    > MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "Kayne" <> wrote in message

    > > Is it possible, or are there issues with using the 32bit version of
    > > Vista Business to upgrade from the 64bit version of XP Pro?

    > > Thanks in advance.- Hide quoted text -

    So, if I have XP Pro 64bit, I can purchase a 32bit Vista upgrade
    edition and do a clean installation from the upgrade edition? What
    will it do; verify my 64bit XP pro using the product key? How will
    the installation procedure play out?

    Kayne, Jul 3, 2007
  5. Kayne

    Jane C Guest

    Hi Kayne,

    An upgrade must be started from the desktop of the existing install. In
    this case, it will verify that you are entitled to upgrade, but the upgrade
    option will be greyed out. You will have the option to 'Custom Install'.
    Your old OS will be rolled up into a folder called windows.old, and a fresh
    image of Vista will be laid down. The windows.old folder can later be
    deleted via disk cleanup.

    Vista installs in a completely different way to previous versions of
    Windows - it lays down a complete image, as opposed to a bit-by-bit install.

    Make sure you have backed up any data - personal documents etc - onto
    removable media or an external USB drive. I find it easier to backup things
    manually, via good old copy/paste, rather than using a proprietary backup
    application - even the ones in Windows. That way there is no
    incompatibility when it comes time to bring your documents etc back into the
    new OS.

    There is a method of doing a complete clean install with an upgrade edition,
    incuding a complete format of the hard drive/partition, which involves a
    'double install' of Vista. A Google search will help there.

    Jane C, Jul 3, 2007
  6. Kayne

    Peter Lawton Guest

    There's also no upgrade path from 64bit to 64bit either

    Almost as if MS didn't really want people to upgrade from XP to Vista (can't
    say I disagree with them there ;-)

    Peter lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jul 3, 2007
  7. Kayne

    Theo Guest

    I don't think you can start the 32-bit install from a 64-bit
    desktop. I may be wrong, but as far as I know it would have
    to be by booting from the CD and it would have to verify the
    current 64-bit installation as being the qualifier. The
    32-bit Vista would not be saving anything from the Win x64
    installation. The current partition with Win x64 would have
    to be deleted and a new partition with Vista x86 initiated.

    You basically would not be able to run the Vista x86 setup
    from the Win x64 environment.

    Theo, Jul 3, 2007
  8. Kayne

    Jane C Guest

    I've lost count of the installs of x86 that I've done from an x64 desktop
    ;-) I've installed x86 Vista from the x64 XP desktop many a time to
    preserve drive letter enumeration. Of course, now I've got fussy, and only
    install x86 in VMs :)

    What you can't do is an install of x64 from the desktop of x86.

    Jane C, Jul 3, 2007