XP x64 System Filenames in Windows Folder

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?RXJpY2VwcA==?=, Sep 29, 2007.

  1. I have the following files in my Windows Directory:

    1 1,571,924 KB System File
    3 651,148 KB System File
    5 558,788 KB System File
    S 1,571,924 KB System File
    Y 1,571,924 KB System File

    They are taking up an inordinate amount of space on my system drive, and I
    would like to clean this up. What issues will I encounter if any or all of
    these are removed?

    I thought they were redundant swap files at first, but I have moved my
    "Pagefile" to the second partition on this drive which has plenty of room.

    I use this machine as a server, and didn't plan to have a lot of programs
    installed, so I only made the system partition 10GB. Because of these
    bloated files, I have only 220MB of space left. I could resize the partition
    if necessary, but would rather not -for obvious reasons.

    I would appreciate some assistance from anyone who might know exactly what
    these files are, and how I may safely dispense of this issue.
    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpY2VwcA==?=, Sep 29, 2007

  2. While I don't know what these files are doing, you might use SFC.EXE (System
    File Checker - (Command-Line)); it is mentioned on this here page:

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/wfp.mspx

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 30, 2007

  3. Thanks Tony,

    I was beginning to wonder if I would get a response from anyone. I will run
    the checker, but the real issue for me is this:

    I am actually quite familiar with windows systems, and I have seen files of
    this type before, just not so large, and having repeating values as well. I
    am tempted to just delete them, and see what happen. This is a fairly new
    install with minimal software in accompaniment. If you know of a reason why
    I shouldn't delete them, or know someone who is a higher authority on this
    subject, please reply.

    Thanks again,

    Eric

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpY2VwcA==?=, Oct 1, 2007
  4. Hello Eric,
    If you attempt to open the files in notepad do they give an indication as
    to what they are?
    Do you have filever available from the support.cab from Windows Server 2003
    or Windows XP CD?
    Run filever <filename> /v on each. What is the output?
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 1, 2007
  5. The file checker didn't show me any results (that I know of) when it
    dinished, unless it stored them away somewhere for "Bill's eyes only."

    Anyway:

    Do you think it is normal for people to attempt to open a 1.5 GB file in
    Notepad? Nevertheless, here are the Filever results:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>filever c:\windows\5 /v
    --ahs - - - - - 572,198,912 09-28-2007 5

    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>filever c:\windows\3 /v
    --ahs - - - - - 666,775,552 09-28-2007 3

    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>filever c:\windows\1 /v
    --ahs - - - - - 1,609,650,176 09-28-2007 1

    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>filever c:\windows\s /v
    --ahs - - - - - 1,609,650,176 09-28-2007 s

    I guess the ahs is supposed to tell us something. I believe I will google
    that.

    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks a million,

    Eric

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpY2VwcA==?=, Oct 1, 2007
  6. By doing a little Googling, I found out that the AHS will show up every time
    in filever, and the version info should follow immediately after. I am going
    to run Defender, and Avast on there and see what happens.

    Thanks again,

    Eric

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpY2VwcA==?=, Oct 1, 2007
  7. Hello Eric,
    The AHS is Archive, Hidden, and System attributes.
    Nothing strange there, the attributes are dependant of the file thems
    So the files do not contain any version information nor do they contain
    header infomation.
    They don't tell us anything informative.

    for example when I run filever /v against explorer.exe on a Windows Vista
    machine: this is the output.
    --a-- W32i APP ENU 6.0.6001.16659 shp 2,921,472 09-16-2007 explorer.exe
    Language 0x0409 (English (United States))
    CharSet 0x04b0 Unicode
    OleSelfRegister Disabled
    CompanyName Microsoft Corporation
    FileDescription Windows Explorer
    InternalName explorer
    OriginalFilename EXPLORER.EXE
    ProductName Microsoft« Windows« Operating System
    ProductVersion 6.0.6001.16659
    FileVersion 6.0.6001.16659 (longhorn_rc0.070916-1443)
    LegalCopyright ¬ Microsoft Corporation. All rights
    reserved.

    VS_FIXEDFILEINFO:
    Signature: feef04bd
    Struc Ver: 00010000
    FileVer: 00060000:17714113 (6.0:6001.16659)
    ProdVer: 00060000:17714113 (6.0:6001.16659)
    FlagMask: 0000003f
    Flags: 00000000
    OS: 00040004 NT Win32
    FileType: 00000001 App
    SubType: 00000000
    FileDate: 00000000:00000000

    I was hoping for more information from filever so it could help identify
    the file or at least the company that generated the file.

    As for opening a 1.5 gig file, I read your first post as 1.5 meg files,
    rather than gig.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 2, 2007
  8. Eric,

    checking for Vira and Malware first, is a wise move I think. One way then
    to maybe learn something about this that I might try in your situation would
    be to rename those files one-by-one, I often add a new extension ( like:
    *.ORG, for original!) so I don't forget how to rename them back again if
    necessary, and see what process complains - if any at all?

    I suspect these files are some form of junk, but you are right - it would be
    nice to know more before going into action.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 4, 2007
  9. Tony,

    Thanks for the follow up. I will keep your suggestion in mind in the
    future. After exhausting all efforts, I moved the files to a remote location
    to see what happens. There were no extensions for these files. I was able
    to get wordpad to open one that was approximately 560 MBs. The result was
    cryptic beyond comprehension. I have a feeling I won't see anything balk
    over their relocation, but you never know. I have seen files with these
    types of names in the distant past, but I don't have any knowledge of their
    purpose, or application. Maybe someone will stumble upon this thread that
    has some knowledge that is helpful to solve the mystery. The mystery is the
    main reason I came here anyway. I haven't had any issues related to the
    files as of yet. Thanks again for your help.

    Regards,

    Eric

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpY2VwcA==?=, Oct 4, 2007
  10. Yes, moving them out of the way will do the same.

    Whatever you find, do post the cryptics here - Darrell is the most expert
    resource on almost anything you care to think about, that you are ever
    likely to find!!! (Computer related, anyway)

    I am running several dual-booting machines and they all have the same number
    of these files on them, but they are all zero-bytes, all except the
    pagefile.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 5, 2007