XP x64 - starved for RAM when handling large files?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Homer J. Simpson, Mar 1, 2008.

  1. Hi all,

    For the past couple of months, my XP x64 system (Athlon X2 4800 w/2GB RAM)
    has been getting awfully slow when processing large files. For example,
    burning multi-GB files (I alternate between Nero and ImgBurn), copying large
    files across my LAN, extracting files with WinRAR or running a repair job
    with QuickPar. The 'Available Physical Memory' figure under the Performance
    tab in Task Manager can drop to 20MB or so (20,000--the value is expressed
    in KB), and as soon as these operations stop, it'll jump right back up to
    maybe 1.2GB, where it more typically hovers in day-to-day operations. The
    pagefile usage graph typically stays at around maybe 1.2-1.6GB (even when it
    gets bogged down like I've described), depending on what I'm doing.

    It's only when I do these operations with large files that the available
    physical memory figure drops down to nothing and then the hard drive starts
    going nuts. I've seen it take upwards of 12-15 minutes (hard drive light
    stays on solid) to extracting a 4GB RAR file--something that used to barely
    take 2-3 minutes on that same machine, if that much.

    The hardware configuration hasn't changed in a *very* long time. It's
    difficult for me to blame the hardware, as this system used to fly and I
    used to be able to multitask (doing these same tasks in the background while
    I'm doing something else) without any problem. Nowadays when I burn a DVD
    or extract a large RAR file, my system's completely unusable--a problem I
    haven't seen on a system since the early Pentium days...

    The pagefile and OS are on separate physical SATA drives, and even though
    there's plenty of well known techniques to help alleviate bottlenecks, this
    is the same configuration I've been using since long before this particular
    problem has started appearing, so again, it's not like all of a sudden my
    system is poorly configured.

    I'm beginning to wonder if MS has changed the way file caching works in some
    relatively recent hotfix. Am I the only one seeing this issue lately on XP
    x64?

    Homer J. Simpson, Mar 1, 2008

  2. XP Pro x64 SP2 still flies right along for me.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 1, 2008

  3. Just as a follow-up, something that I should probably have mentioned in my
    first post: It doesn't happen all the time.

    Yesterday I burned a DVD and, as I've come to expect, couldn't use my system
    a few minutes into it as the physical memory available dropped down to
    nothing. This morning, I burned another (same program and everything), and
    everything was fine--with available physical memory remaining steady
    throughout at around 660MB.

    Homer J. Simpson, Mar 7, 2008