    unfortunately will take a lot of time for all applications and
    settings, but at that point I think I will go for 32 bit, to avoid
    this pain in the future :-(

    Mike De Petris, Aug 14, 2008

  2. Mike De Petris

    Carl Guest

    You should take off, and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. I
    would boot from CD, select the options to do a clean install, it will search
    for earlier versions of XP64, when it finds it, select to repair that
    install.

    Carl, Aug 14, 2008

  3. On Aug 14, 12:16 pm, "Carl" <> wrote:
    > You should take off, and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.. I
    > would boot from CD, select the options to do a clean install, it will search
    > for earlier versions of XP64, when it finds it, select to repair that
    > install.

    will I lose any settings?
    reinstalling drivers would be no problem, but all application settings
    would be a nightmare expecially for email

    Mike De Petris, Aug 14, 2008
  4. Mike De Petris

    Carlos Guest

    Mike:
    You won't lose your settings.

    The only problem I see is that, most likely, you XP x64 CD is at SP1 level
    and you may have updated to SP2.
    You have to make sure that your installation has the same SP level that you
    are running now.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 14, 2008
  5. On Aug 14, 1:32 pm, Carlos <> wrote:
    > You won't lose your settings.

    pheuw!

    > The only problem I see is that, most likely, you XP x64 CD is at SP1 level
    > and you may have updated to SP2.
    > You have to make sure that your installation has the same SP level that you
    > are running now.

    ouch, can't I use the sp1 cd and then apply sp2 again?
    should I look for an sp2 cd?

    btw thanks

    Mike De Petris, Aug 14, 2008
  6. Mike De Petris

    Carlos Guest

    Yes, you do need an SP2 level CD, and you can build it by "slipstreaming" SP2
    onto SP1.
    There are several tutorials descrbing the process of slipstreaming that you
    can google for.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 14, 2008
  7. On Aug 14, 2:07 pm, Carlos <> wrote:
    > Yes, you do need an SP2 level CD, and you can build it by "slipstreaming" SP2
    > onto SP1.
    > There are several tutorials descrbing the process of  slipstreaming that you
    > can google for.

    ok I'm downloading xp pro x64 sp2 VM from my msdn account, will see
    how it goes
    thank you

    Mike De Petris, Aug 14, 2008
  8. On Aug 14, 3:20 pm, Mike De Petris <> wrote:
    > > Yes, you do need an SP2 level CD, and you can build it by "slipstreaming" SP2

    > ok I'm downloading xp pro x64 sp2 VM from my msdn account, will see
    > how it goes

    It took VERY long but it's done in the end, repairing from CD did it.
    I had a bit of more time wasted on BSOD at boot, then I found I had to
    the disable a service from the recovery console, maybe that service
    was what was giving BSOD in safe mode in first place. The service is
    sptd.sys part of vmware workstation if I recall well.

    Thanks Carl, I've a working system now, even if I lost almost all my
    weekend + friday holyday :-/

    Mike De Petris, Aug 18, 2008
  9. Mike De Petris

    Carlos Guest

    Glad you got it working, Mike.
    I'm back of my weekend + Monday holiday in Argentina.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 19, 2008