    If anyone has any ideas as to why it would behave this way, please let me
    know, it's fairly frustrating and can't find anything quite exactly like it
    so far googling..thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGJhcnRsZXk=?=, Sep 14, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZGJhcnRsZXk=?=

    PJB Guest

    I have the same Tyan board and experience no problems. I used a SATA drive
    and only 2Gb Ram at first. But I did buy registered memory. If you haven't
    that could be a problem. The other issue could be P/Supply, you need a 650w
    P/S and plenty of cooling.

    What processor/s are you using?
    What version of 64 bit windows are you installing? If it is the demo from MS
    I hear all sorts of problems with it but non like yours. I bought XP x64 and
    everything installed without any hassles except the audio drivers. I
    downloaded them from nVidia.
    Hope this helps.

    --
    Peter Banks
    Wellington, NZ

    PJB, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

    Using 2 Opteron 275s, all stock/auto timings.

    The ram is ECC registered, it is fully populated though, 8 1GB sticks
    instead of 4 2GB, but that shouldn't in theory make a difference either. I've
    got a big P/S and enough fans to do a scene from Twister, as far as I know
    it's all OK otherwise. I guess I could start over with less ram and see if it
    finds its mojo.

    One further mystery now is that on a whim just now I decided to try an XP 32
    cd from another machine on it to see if it would get further, and it seemed
    quite happy to continue on past the point that x64 stops, so now I really
    have no idea. If it wasn't for the fact the other XP was in use, I'd go all
    the way through and investigate further, but still, should work likewise with
    x64. All else fails I'll get another XP and try a dual boot, but it's still
    rather strange.

    I can't get a version number off the x64 disc, but it's a full release
    version, ie not the trial download, bought it last week so it should be
    pretty current I'd hope.

    Anyway thanks again, will keep poking at it.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGJhcnRsZXk=?=, Sep 14, 2005
  4. First of all 'firsts' is, make sure you have the very latest 64bit drivers
    for everything. If anything is older than three - four months you must have
    so called 'decorated drivers' - which is basically only a couple extra tags
    in the *.INF file - but it must be there. If you cannot get them it can be
    done manualy, and even if they are newer, they may be lacking in this
    requirement. Let's assume for now that it is not your RAM, though.

    Greetings, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Ah yes I have the latest drivers for everything on a disc ready to go, but
    this is way way before any of that comes into play..it literally does not get
    past that initial blue setup screen, you know right after "Setup is
    inspecting your configuration.." and then it loads all the basic setup files,
    and the next step should be disk setup, etc. etc. it dies there.

    Thanks for the heads up though, if it ever reaches that point I've got 'em
    all ready.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGJhcnRsZXk=?=, Sep 14, 2005
  6. In that case, I would clean the disc; clean the drive; examin the disc in
    front of a good light source - they can have little holes(very small);
    re-burn the disc - if you didn't buy it; anything of that sort. The only
    other thing that I could suggest is if you have fresh SATA drives
    connected - my present desktop would not do anything with that attached
    before I installed the Motherboard supported 32bit drivers - I was already
    dual-booting but hadn't used the SATA stuff before winx64.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 14, 2005
  7. Hello,

    Any progress with your problem?

    I have a similar one - setup would freeze on loading windows. Accidentaly I
    discover that if I wait 10-15 minutes it suddenly wakes up and proceeds. I
    was able to install xp64 and everything seem to work !except! it takes 15
    minutes to load windows - the same issue it gets stuch somewhere at the very
    begining and sits there for 10-15 minutes then wakes up and boots properly

    I have Tyan k8we with 4G ram and 1 AMD 280 dualcore processor. Video is
    NVIDIA Quattro FX1300, and SCSI LSI22320-R

    Any help is greatly appreciated

    Thank you

    Alex

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxleCBSb3l0bWFu?=, Dec 2, 2005
  8. If you are having both IDE and SATA drives present during installation, you
    would probably have that sort of problem. Don't know about SCSI, though.
    With some systems you have to order the way the drives are numbered in BIOS,
    since IDE drives always are counted first, and some systems will not boot if
    you install to anything that isn't the 'first' drive. This is so, even when
    the drives are visible and identified by the BIOS.

    And do note that the drive enumeration is not affected by the Boot Sequence,
    those are different concepts. If your BIOS supports editing the drive
    numbers, set the drive you are installing to as number one, and set the Boot
    Sequence accordingly.

    If your BIOS does not support this, pull the DATA cable off the drives you
    are not installing to.

    And have 64bit drivers ready for all your hardware (and BIOS) as you
    install.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 2, 2005
  9. The system is timing out trying to enumerate something. Inspect
    %windir%\setupapi.log for clues as to where the problem is. And go to the
    Tyan site and download the latest drivers for your chipset, processor, BIOS,
    Network card(s), etc.

    Also, try booting with NO USB devices inserted and see if it's any
    different.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64