    Thanks!
    --
    Andy Barnett
    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=, Nov 14, 2007

  2. This is not a 64bit specific issue - the troubleshooting and resolution is
    going to be pretty much the same as any other XP system. There are some
    places to start.

    1.) Open task manager and see if there are any processes that seem out of
    whack. Too much RAM, or too much CPU, or something you can't identify. Once
    you've done that, GIYF. (Google is your friend.)

    2.) Free space on the system drive? If less than 30%, start looking for ways
    to clean it up. If less than 10%, start seriously looking for ways to either
    expand that partition, move to a larger hard disk, or seriously clean stuff
    off it.

    3.) Disk fragmentation. I'd look at one of the third party de-fraggers out
    there. I like PerfectDisk, but there are others that work well with XP x64.

    4.) Networking issues? Easily overlooked, but little things like an iffy
    network cable, or a flaky switch or network card can have a huge impact.

    5.) a failing HD or memory. If your HD takes two or three tries to write a
    sector, but finally gets it, you may not see an error message (though you
    should be checking the Event log for any interesting things). But it can
    easily have a huge impact on performance.

    6.) Malware of some sort.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64