    For example, I see 4 cpu windows on the task manager performance tab, system
    information pulls up 4 xeons instead of two.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBFbnRodXNpYXN0?=, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Dell Enthusiast got up from the bar and shouted: :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Dell poweredge 2800 with two xeon 3 Ghz processors and I loaded up
    > the trial version of xp professional x64 on the machine. The OS is detecting
    > 4 cpus instead of the two I have (Why is it doing that?), and I do not know
    > how to change the settings.
    >
    > For example, I see 4 cpu windows on the task manager performance tab, system
    > information pulls up 4 xeons instead of two.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Are they Hyperthreading enabled??

    Mark Gillespie, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Mark,

    Are you asking about the CPUs themselves or some setting on the OS?

    The CPUs are hyperthreading capable, if that is what you mean.

    Thanks

    Ram

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBFbnRodXNpYXN0?=, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Dell Enthusiast got up from the bar and shouted: :
    > Mark,
    >
    > Are you asking about the CPUs themselves or some setting on the OS?
    >
    > The CPUs are hyperthreading capable, if that is what you mean.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ram
    >
    > "Mark Gillespie" wrote:
    >
    >> Dell Enthusiast got up from the bar and shouted: :
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have a Dell poweredge 2800 with two xeon 3 Ghz processors and I loaded up
    >>> the trial version of xp professional x64 on the machine. The OS is detecting
    >>> 4 cpus instead of the two I have (Why is it doing that?), and I do not know
    >>> how to change the settings.
    >>>
    >>> For example, I see 4 cpu windows on the task manager performance tab, system
    >>> information pulls up 4 xeons instead of two.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>

    >> Are they Hyperthreading enabled??

    So you have 2 physical CPU's both of which are Hyper threading enabled,
    you will get 4 CPU's reported in Task Manager...

    Mark Gillespie, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Dell Enthusiast wrote:

    > For example, I see 4 cpu windows on the task manager performance
    > tab, system information pulls up 4 xeons instead of two.

    That's normal when you have a dual Xeon system with HT enabled.
    If you disable HT in BIOS, Windows will only see two processors
    when you restart.

    It's not only a Win XP x64 thing though. The same will happen
    in WinXP Pro.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 25, 2005
  6. "Thomas G. Madsen" wrote:

    > Dell Enthusiast wrote:
    >
    > > For example, I see 4 cpu windows on the task manager performance
    > > tab, system information pulls up 4 xeons instead of two.

    > That's normal when you have a dual Xeon system with HT enabled.
    > If you disable HT in BIOS, Windows will only see two processors
    > when you restart.
    >
    > It's not only a Win XP x64 thing though. The same will happen
    > in WinXP Pro.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Madsen

    As discussed previously, taskmgr could show 8 CPUs in a machine with 2 dual
    core hyperthreading-enabled processors.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 25, 2005
  7. Well, that explains it.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBFbnRodXNpYXN0?=, Jun 25, 2005
  8. Chris wrote:

    > As discussed previously, taskmgr could show 8 CPUs in a machine
    > with 2 dual core hyperthreading-enabled processors.

    Also in WinXP Pro x32 or only in WinXP Pro x64 ?

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 25, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBFbnRodXNpYXN0?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Yes. Aren't we all glad MS is counting sockets instead of cores?

    M. Murcek, Jun 25, 2005
  10. "Thomas G. Madsen" <> wrote in message
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> As discussed previously, taskmgr could show 8 CPUs in a machine
    >> with 2 dual core hyperthreading-enabled processors.

    > Also in WinXP Pro x32 or only in WinXP Pro x64 ?

    Yes, it is the same in x86 as it is in x64.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 25, 2005
  11. "M. Murcek" wrote:

    > Yes. Aren't we all glad MS is counting sockets instead of cores?
    >
    > "Chris" <> wrote in message

    > >> That's normal when you have a dual Xeon system with HT enabled.
    > >> If you disable HT in BIOS, Windows will only see two processors
    > >> when you restart.
    > >>
    > >> It's not only a Win XP x64 thing though. The same will happen
    > >> in WinXP Pro.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards
    > >> Madsen

    > > As discussed previously, taskmgr could show 8 CPUs in a machine with 2
    > > dual
    > > core hyperthreading-enabled processors.

    Very glad ; also that they did not do like major Linux vendors to opt for
    DMA IOMMU bypass >4GB to accommodate Intel instead of AMD.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 25, 2005
  12. Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:

    > Yes, it is the same in x86 as it is in x64.

    Okay.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 25, 2005
  13. Microsoft only distributes XP Professional 32-bit with 2 processor support
    through OEM and volume license, right?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 26, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBFbnRodXNpYXN0?=

    Rick Guest

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > Microsoft only distributes XP Professional 32-bit with 2 processor support
    > through OEM and volume license, right?

    I think it's also Retail. My nephew bought the Retail Upgrade and
    supposedly it supported 2 CPUs. We never had a computer to verify this,
    but that what the label said.

    Rick, Jun 26, 2005
  15. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > Microsoft only distributes XP Professional 32-bit with 2 processor support
    > through OEM and volume license, right?
    > --

    The Windows XP Professional 32 (x86) or 64bit (x64) is licensed for 2 CPU
    sockets.
    So you can see up to 8 CPUs in the tools if you have 2 dual cored
    hyperthreading CPUs.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    > Microsoft only distributes XP Professional 32-bit with 2 processor support
    > through OEM and volume license, right?
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >
    > "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    >> "Thomas G. Madsen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Also in WinXP Pro x32 or only in WinXP Pro x64 ?
    >>>

    >> Yes, it is the same in x86 as it is in x64.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Mike
    >> --
    >> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    >> rights
    >>
    >> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
    >> newsgroups
    >>
    >> "Thomas G. Madsen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Also in WinXP Pro x32 or only in WinXP Pro x64 ?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards
    >>> Madsen

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 26, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBFbnRodXNpYXN0?=

    Frank Guest

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:

    >>Microsoft only distributes XP Professional 32-bit with 2 processor support
    >>through OEM and volume license, right?
    >>--

    > The Windows XP Professional 32 (x86) or 64bit (x64) is licensed for 2 CPU
    > sockets.
    > So you can see up to 8 CPUs in the tools if you have 2 dual cored
    > hyperthreading CPUs.

    Oh geeze...is there going to be math quiz later? :)
    Frank

    Frank, Jun 27, 2005