XP x6

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. I’m having a problem get XP x64 to complete its installation.

    When the install program restart the second time with Windows XP x64 Pro
    logo screen showing, system halts and goes to the Diagnostic Startup Screen,
    same screen you get when you hit F8 during normal Windows startup. If you
    select Safe Mode, system displays list of files being loaded as usual, but
    halts and does a hardware reboot. Any attempt to start windows after that
    takes you directly to Diagnostic Startup Screen.

    It’s a new system and I installed Windows XP Pro 32 Bit Edition, before
    trying to install XP x64, and all hardware test Ok.

    I’m using version 6.66 nForce4 SATA Drivers download for nVIDIA’s Web Site
    for the RAID Installation floppy. RAID Driver floppy created by the CD that
    came with ASUS A8N-E motherboard caused the XP x64 Install to crash right
    after it read the drivers supplied on the ASUS CD.

    My system is includes the following hardware.

    (1) Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000 Series case.
    (2) Thermaltake Purge Power TWV500W W0057 Power supply.
    (3) AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
    (4) ASUS A8N-E Motherboard with BIOS Version 1005.
    (5) ASUS Video Graphics card EAX800XL/2DTV/256M/A
    (6) 2 MB DDR PC3200 Memory, Corsair TWINX2048-3200PRO, configured as Dual
    Channel.
    (7) 2 Western Digital 160GB SATA Hard Drive Configured as RAID 0, Drive WD
    SATA2 P/N WD1600JS
    (8) CD\DVD Drive, Plextor SATA P/N: PX-716SA/SW.

    It looks to me like there is a driver problem, but I don’t know how to tell
    which driver and if I knew the only drivers I have that I can change are the
    ones on the RAID Drive floppy. All the rest come form the Windows XP x64
    installation CD. One other thing I don’t understand is what drivers are
    required in Safe Mode that are not required when the installation is in GUI
    Display Mode.

    Any pointers on how to fined the problem or as to what I’m doing wrong would
    be greatly appreciated.
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 19, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Assuming that you have used both drivers required for the RAID setup, I
    would try disconnecting the Plextor SATA drive. There are a number of
    people with problems when the drive is connected.

    John Barnes, Jul 19, 2005

  3. Yes I input both drives and I have also tryed using a PATA Sony CD/DVD drive.
    Got the same results.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 20, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    John Barnes Guest

    see
    Windows XP x64 crashing after install from 7/10/2005

    John Barnes, Jul 20, 2005
  5. John,

    I don't get the Blue Screen of Death. Not same problem as 0710/05.

    Installion runs until second restart and installation goes to Widows startup
    screen, halts, does hardware reset directly, then goes to the F8 diagnostic
    screen after reboot.

    I have redone the installation 4 times now and the results is always the same.

    I have also used a second XP x64 installation disk so I know the
    installation disk is not the problem.

    I have redownloaded the nVIDA nForce4 6.66 drivers and recreated the RAID
    Driver floppy disk.

    Again always with the same result, but not BSOD, just hardware reset when
    Starting form the installation program or from the F8 Diagnostic startup
    screen in any of the mode available from that screen.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 20, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    John Barnes Guest

    One person below reported problems with 6.66 for his NIC card and went back
    to the 6.39 which worked. Don't know if RAID drivers are a problem. One
    thing you show both a SATA I and a SATA II drive and numerous people have
    reported problems with Nforce4 and SATA II. I can't get my system to
    install on a SATA II or if copied from a SATA I drive with ghost by copy or
    restore, it will not boot. X86 boots fine. I hope someone else can be more
    helpful.

    John Barnes, Jul 20, 2005
  7. John,

    Thanks for your time and input.

    I've been thinking that the RAID Drives maybe the problem, but don't know why.

    Remember I had the Windows XP Pro 32 Bit Edition up and running fine to test
    the hardware before trying to install XP x64.

    I've seen many listings where people have XP x64 up and running on my
    hardware. But I don't think they are using the Dual-Core Process at I have
    not been able to get anyone to respond on any forums saying they do.

    Think I will try the ASUS Beta BIOS for The A8N-E motherboard tommrow and
    see if that will clear up the problem. Also have and other computer with two
    SATA I drives I could install in this after mirroring then, but that computer
    is my home automatic system controller and it would be a pain. House is so
    automated that I would have to move out until I got it backup.

    Thanks again.

    Roger

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 20, 2005
  8. Dual core should have nothing to do with it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 20, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    John Barnes Guest

    What home automation programs are you using? None of mine will work on x64.

    John Barnes, Jul 20, 2005
  10. There's no 64 bit Home Automation software, that I know of, though I have not
    been looking for it.
    My Home Automation system is a 64 Bit system, but right now its running 32
    Bit software. I',m using Homeseer with custom extentions I have written.
    One of the reason I'm working with this XP 64 system is to get to know the 64
    Bits OS's so that I can upgrade my Automation System to 64 Bit.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 20, 2005
  11. I’m just grasping at straws, running out of ideas, thanks for the input I
    won’t spend as much time checking out the Dual-Core possibility.
    Thanks for the input every little bit helps.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Jul 20, 2005