    up choices.It seems as though its getting messed up when it finds all the
    new MB devices. Never had this problem with 98 or even Me. What do I do
    now???

    DeSoto Driver, Mar 2, 2005

  2. DeSoto Driver

    doS Guest

    You reinstall windows, bet you used the same hdd you used with the old mobo.

    "DeSoto Driver" <> wrote in message
    > Just upgraded my main system with a new MB and I'm running XP Home. When

    it
    > starts up it gives message about hardware change or power outage/improper
    > shutdown & gives choices of starting in safe / normal / last working
    > setting. Whichever I chose, system will boot up only so far then a quick
    > flash of blue screen, it then restarts itself & I'm back to the same

    start

    doS, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Yes I did use the same hdd its a 120 Gig. I really dont want to reinstall
    windows unless it's absolutely the only way as I have a huge amount of data
    on it movies /music/programs, and would be a huge amount of time to
    reinstall the orig MB so I could transfer all of that onto something else
    then reinstall the new MB and start all over. Any other thoughts?

    DeSoto Driver, Mar 2, 2005
  4. DeSoto Driver

    Lookout Guest

    I just went through the same thing only I asked questions in here
    first and did all my back ups. Then I wiped out XP and did a clean
    install with the new mobo.

    Lookout, Mar 2, 2005
  5. DeSoto Driver

    Pikan Guest

    Windows XP is tied to the MBD - if you swap motherboads you basically
    cant use the same installation of XP.

    It is possible to make it work again but it takes some very advanced
    knowledge (and I would spend all day typing to give instructions -
    which I cant do - simply dont have time)

    Added to that the fact it would without a doubt be quicker for you to
    reinstall than repair, regardless of how much data you have.

    When going through the windows installation it actually gives you the
    option of leaving the current file system in tact. Doing this would
    mean that your files would still be there but the operating system
    would get replaced. You will still need to reinstall all your programs
    though as all their registry settings will get deleted/overwritten.

    If your copy of Win XP is one that needs activation this will also need
    to be done again. You will need to justify to microsoft why you are
    putting the operating system on a "different" PC - as I said previously
    - xp is tied to the motherboard. Microsoft have not been particularly
    kind with regards to mainboard upgrades.

    If you explain that you have replaced you motherboard they should let
    you do it though (be wise to tell them the old one failed and had to be
    replace - less chance they will decide it is a different PC then)

    Pikan, Mar 2, 2005
  6. DeSoto Driver

    Lookout Guest

    There was a follow up to my post that said you could wipe out the
    drivers in SafeMode, shut down, install the new MOBO and let Windows
    do a repair. However you would still have some stuff laying around
    that COULD cause conflicts. I decided to reinstall the old MOBO and
    take care of it that way. Besides...I have several physical HDs with
    partitions on each one so wiping out Windows is no big deal. I lose
    nothing but time.

    Lookout, Mar 2, 2005
  7. DeSoto Driver

    livewirez Guest

    Lookout wrote:
    > There was a follow up to my post that said you could wipe out the
    > drivers in SafeMode, shut down, install the new MOBO and let Windows
    > do a repair. However you would still have some stuff laying around
    > that COULD cause conflicts. I decided to reinstall the old MOBO and
    > take care of it that way. Besides...I have several physical HDs with
    > partitions on each one so wiping out Windows is no big deal. I lose
    > nothing but time.
    >
    > On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 20:57:22 -0500, "DeSoto Driver"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Yes I did use the same hdd its a 120 Gig. I really dont want to reinstall
    >>windows unless it's absolutely the only way as I have a huge amount of data
    >>on it movies /music/programs, and would be a huge amount of time to
    >>reinstall the orig MB so I could transfer all of that onto something else
    >>then reinstall the new MB and start all over. Any other thoughts?
    >>"doS" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>You reinstall windows, bet you used the same hdd you used with the old

    >>mobo.
    >>
    >>>"DeSoto Driver" <> wrote in message

    >>>it

    >>outage/improper

    >>quick

    >>>start

    >>the

    You need to do a overlay install. Get your XP Home disk and boot from
    it install again but do not wipe the HDD or make any changes.

    livewirez, Mar 2, 2005