xp won't let me install canon powershot s30 drivers.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mike, Jul 4, 2008.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
    MS updates. It works fine.

    MY new(used) computer has XPSP2 with zillions of MS updates.

    I can't install my glidepoint touchpad or Canon S30 camera drivers
    on this machine.

    After days of research, I stumbled across a footnote on a Cirque
    web page that says, "MS security updates now prevent our ability
    to write the registry. Apply this .reg file to make your touchpad work."
    Applied the .reg and my glidepoint touchpad now works.

    When I try to install the S30 wai driver, it gets all the way to
    the end, says it's updating the registry, then aborts.
    Could this be the same problem caused by the MS updates?
    And what do I do about it?

    The answer to your first question is, "Yes, I have a card reader
    and know how to use it."

    With that out of the way, we can address MY question. How do I get
    USB to work so I can access the advanced control features beyond just
    downloading jpg files.

    Thanks, mike

    Casual Observer, Jul 4, 2008

  3. mike

    Bob Williams Guest

    mike wrote:
    > I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
    > MS updates. It works fine.
    >
    > MY new(used) computer has XPSP2 with zillions of MS updates.
    >
    > I can't install my glidepoint touchpad or Canon S30 camera drivers
    > on this machine.
    >
    > After days of research, I stumbled across a footnote on a Cirque
    > web page that says, "MS security updates now prevent our ability
    > to write the registry. Apply this .reg file to make your touchpad work."
    > Applied the .reg and my glidepoint touchpad now works.
    >
    > When I try to install the S30 wai driver, it gets all the way to
    > the end, says it's updating the registry, then aborts.
    > Could this be the same problem caused by the MS updates?
    > And what do I do about it?
    >
    > The answer to your first question is, "Yes, I have a card reader
    > and know how to use it."
    >
    > With that out of the way, we can address MY question. How do I get
    > USB to work so I can access the advanced control features beyond just
    > downloading jpg files.
    >
    > Thanks, mike

    Perhaps the S30 driver came out before Win Xp.
    When Xp first came out there were a lot of hardware drivers that
    wouldn't work with it. I am told that the same thing is happening with
    Win Vista Home Ed.
    You could check with Canon to see if they updated the S30 driver to work
    with Xp, but I would guess they did not.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Jul 4, 2008
  4. On Jul 4, 12:10 am, mike <> wrote:
    > I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
    > MS updates. It works fine.

    Canon USA has a pub on this issue. http://tiny.cc/ERP28

    Bill
    BerkshireBill, Jul 4, 2008
  5. dwight wrote:
    []
    > By the way... I run XPSP2 and am fanatical about updates.

    []

    > dwight

    You should be running SP3, then! <G>

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 4, 2008
  6. mike

    mike Guest

    Casual Observer wrote:
    > Are you logged in as a user with administrator rights when you try to install the S30 software?

    YES

    mike, Jul 4, 2008
  7. mike

    mike Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > mike wrote:
    >> I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
    >> MS updates. It works fine.
    >>
    >> MY new(used) computer has XPSP2 with zillions of MS updates.
    >>
    >> I can't install my glidepoint touchpad or Canon S30 camera drivers
    >> on this machine.
    >>
    >> After days of research, I stumbled across a footnote on a Cirque
    >> web page that says, "MS security updates now prevent our ability
    >> to write the registry. Apply this .reg file to make your touchpad work."
    >> Applied the .reg and my glidepoint touchpad now works.
    >>
    >> When I try to install the S30 wai driver, it gets all the way to
    >> the end, says it's updating the registry, then aborts.
    >> Could this be the same problem caused by the MS updates?
    >> And what do I do about it?
    >>
    >> The answer to your first question is, "Yes, I have a card reader
    >> and know how to use it."
    >>
    >> With that out of the way, we can address MY question. How do I get
    >> USB to work so I can access the advanced control features beyond just
    >> downloading jpg files.
    >>
    >> Thanks, mike

    > Perhaps the S30 driver came out before Win Xp.
    > When Xp first came out there were a lot of hardware drivers that
    > wouldn't work with it. I am told that the same thing is happening with
    > Win Vista Home Ed.
    > You could check with Canon to see if they updated the S30 driver to work
    > with Xp, but I would guess they did not.
    > Bob Williams

    The S30 driver claims to be XP compatible and is working fin on my
    NON_UPDATED xp. This is the latest driver.
    mike, Jul 4, 2008
  8. mike

    mike Guest

    dwight wrote:

    > "mike" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> When I try to install the S30 wai driver, it gets all the way to
    >> the end, says it's updating the registry, then aborts.
    >> Could this be the same problem caused by the MS updates?
    >> And what do I do about it?

    > Are you using the new WAI driver released this past May 26th? (ver. 3.9.0)

    yes
    and it works fine on my non-updated xpsp2

    mike, Jul 4, 2008
  9. mike

    mike Guest

    BerkshireBill wrote:
    > On Jul 4, 12:10 am, mike <> wrote:
    >> I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
    >> MS updates. It works fine.
    >>

    > Canon USA has a pub on this issue. http://tiny.cc/ERP28
    >
    > Bill

    Read that. It appears to relate to programs that USE
    the canon driver.
    I'm still trying to INSTALL the canon driver.

    I cloned my hard drive and uninstalled zonealarm, mcafee virus scanner,
    spybot search and destroy. Still won't install the driver. I don't have
    any problem editing the registry. Other programs have installed fine,
    except for that instance with the glidepoint touchpad. I'm a member of
    the administrators group, but even tried logging in as administrator...no
    help.

    The program files get copied and I can see them in the destination
    directory while the error message is up. When I cancel the error
    box, the files disappear.

    This appears to be a 16-bit driver with a thunk problem.
    The Cirque page alludes to the fact that MS did something to close
    a security hole to "legacy" programs. Their solution was not to fix the
    installer, but to create a .reg file.
    I have no idea how to approach the problem for the Canon driver.
    mike, Jul 4, 2008
  10. Can you post the exact error message you receive?

    Casual Observer, Jul 4, 2008
  11. mike

    mike Guest

    Casual Observer wrote:
    > Can you post the exact error message you receive?

    Yes, I can.

    "An error occurred during file transfer.
    Digital Camera USB WIA Driver installation has failed."

    Happens at the very end when it's claiming to be editing the registry.

    I've got three different archives of this same 3.9.0 driver. All behave
    the same.
    Just downloaded it again from Canon website. Same behavior.

    I predict this ain't a Canon problem. Sounds like a Windows problem,
    that Canon has decided not to address.
    Remember, this driver works fine on an un-updated winxpsp2.

    I was hoping someone else had experienced the problem and figgered out
    how to work around it.

    mike

    mike, Jul 4, 2008
  12. http://kbalertz.com/810609/Windows-Recognize-Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera.aspx

    This is for a different Canon camera, but perhaps the same methodology would work in your case. It's worth a try at least.

    Casual Observer, Jul 5, 2008
  13. mike

    mike Guest

    Casual Observer wrote:
    > http://kbalertz.com/810609/Windows-Recognize-Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera.aspx
    >
    > This is for a different Canon camera, but perhaps the same methodology would work in your case. It's worth a try at least.

    Thanks,
    Yep, found several pages like that one for different cameras.
    I've gone as far as hacking everything Canon out of the registry.
    I think I need to disable MS security completely while I install the
    driver. Have no idea how to do that.

    I'm givin' up. Already reallocated the scratch drive I've been using
    for experiments. I'll probably never get around to writing any camera
    software anyway.

    Thanks, mike

    mike, Jul 5, 2008
  14. mike

    BF Guest

    mike wrote:
    > I have an old computer with XPSP2 and no, none, not any
    > MS updates. It works fine.
    >
    > MY new(used) computer has XPSP2 with zillions of MS updates.
    >
    > I can't install my glidepoint touchpad or Canon S30 camera drivers
    > on this machine.
    >
    > After days of research, I stumbled across a footnote on a Cirque
    > web page that says, "MS security updates now prevent our ability
    > to write the registry. Apply this .reg file to make your touchpad work."
    > Applied the .reg and my glidepoint touchpad now works.
    >
    > When I try to install the S30 wai driver, it gets all the way to
    > the end, says it's updating the registry, then aborts.
    > Could this be the same problem caused by the MS updates?
    > And what do I do about it?
    >
    > The answer to your first question is, "Yes, I have a card reader
    > and know how to use it."
    >
    > With that out of the way, we can address MY question. How do I get
    > USB to work so I can access the advanced control features beyond just
    > downloading jpg files.
    >
    > Thanks, mike

    Could it be your anti-virus? Just a thought. Try turning it off.
    BF, Jul 5, 2008
  15. mike

    Vagabond Guest

    mike wrote:
    > Casual Observer wrote:
    >> Can you post the exact error message you receive?

    > Yes, I can.
    >
    > "An error occurred during file transfer.
    > Digital Camera USB WIA Driver installation has failed."
    >
    > Happens at the very end when it's claiming to be editing the registry.
    >
    > I've got three different archives of this same 3.9.0 driver. All behave
    > the same.
    > Just downloaded it again from Canon website. Same behavior.
    >
    > I predict this ain't a Canon problem. Sounds like a Windows problem,
    > that Canon has decided not to address.
    > Remember, this driver works fine on an un-updated winxpsp2.
    >
    > I was hoping someone else had experienced the problem and figgered out
    > how to work around it.

    If the error is concerned with the file transfer, not the file installation
    you could have a read problem on the computer you are trying to use, it may
    not be an OS problem at all. A slight misalignment of a head etc., can
    cause one to read and another to fail on just one borderline disk. I had
    something similar a few weeks ago with another type of hardware interface
    that would install on one computer but not another. I solved it by using
    the first computer to copy the files from the CD onto a thumb drive and
    running the install on the second computer from that. It might be worth
    trying in this case.

    Regards

    Tony
    Vagabond, Jul 5, 2008