    on the drive and can't find anything wrong. The computer always runs fine
    and hasn't had any problems. Does anyone know what may be the trouble?
    Thanks.

    j, Jun 24, 2008

  2. j

    Ofnuts Guest

    j wrote:
    > I have a computer with Windows 98. I cannot install Windows XP onto it. When
    > I begin the XP installation, it flashes up a message that says the hard
    > drive is corrupted and then it aborts the installation. I've done a scandisk
    > on the drive and can't find anything wrong. The computer always runs fine
    > and hasn't had any problems. Does anyone know what may be the trouble?
    > Thanks.

    XP Version (Home, Pro, with SP1/SP2/SP3)? Disk make/model? Motherboard
    make/model? Other drives connected?

    Ofnuts, Jun 28, 2008

  3. j

    Baron Guest

    Ofnuts wrote:

    > j wrote:
    >> I have a computer with Windows 98. I cannot install Windows XP onto
    >> it. When I begin the XP installation, it flashes up a message that
    >> says the hard drive is corrupted and then it aborts the installation.
    >> I've done a scandisk on the drive and can't find anything wrong. The
    >> computer always runs fine and hasn't had any problems. Does anyone
    >> know what may be the trouble? Thanks.

    > XP Version (Home, Pro, with SP1/SP2/SP3)? Disk make/model? Motherboard
    > make/model? Other drives connected?

    Don't forget the amount of RAM and CPU !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Jun 28, 2008
  4. j

    Hp Guest

    Baron wrote:

    > Ofnuts wrote:
    >
    > > j wrote:
    > >> I have a computer with Windows 98. I cannot install Windows XP onto
    > >> it. When I begin the XP installation, it flashes up a message that
    > >> says the hard drive is corrupted and then it aborts the installation.
    > >> I've done a scandisk on the drive and can't find anything wrong. The
    > >> computer always runs fine and hasn't had any problems. Does anyone
    > >> know what may be the trouble? Thanks.

    > > XP Version (Home, Pro, with SP1/SP2/SP3)? Disk make/model? Motherboard
    > > make/model? Other drives connected?

    > Don't forget the amount of RAM and CPU !
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards:
    > Baron.

    There used to be a test program that would ccheck the machine to see if XP
    could even run on older machines. Me thins you might have to locate the
    critter and run it. XP might be too demanding to run on your box if it's an
    older one that came with winderze 95 or 98.

    Hp, Jun 28, 2008
  5. j

    Guest

    On Jun 28, 12:51 pm, Ofnuts <> wrote:
    > j wrote:
    > > I have a computer with Windows 98. I cannot install Windows XP onto it. When
    > > I begin the XP installation, it flashes up a message that says the hard
    > > drive is corrupted and then it aborts the installation. I've done a scandisk
    > > on the drive and can't find anything wrong. The computer always runs fine
    > > and hasn't had any problems. Does anyone know what may be the trouble?
    > > Thanks.

    > XP Version (Home, Pro, with SP1/SP2/SP3)?

    aren't the system requirements identical?

    > Disk make/model? Motherboard
    > make/model?

    what disks or motherboards would not allow windows to be installed?

    > Other drives connected?

    I guess if a drive is connected to USB it could cause a computer to
    not get past the BIOS stage.

    , Jun 29, 2008
  6. j

    Guest

    On Jun 24, 4:18 am, "j" <> wrote:
    > I have a computer with Windows 98. I cannot install Windows XP onto it. When
    > I begin the XP installation, it flashes up a message that says the hard
    > drive is corrupted and then it aborts the installation. I've done a scandisk
    > on the drive and can't find anything wrong. The computer always runs fine
    > and hasn't had any problems. Does anyone know what may be the trouble?
    > Thanks.

    pretty obvious, but I would try a different hard disk.

    the word is troubleshooting. The concept is natural to some, but seems
    to elude others.

    , Jun 29, 2008
  7. j

    Guest

    On Jun 30, 4:07 am, "JANA" <> wrote:
    > If the computer's mother board and or CPU is too old, and if there is
    > not enough RAM, XP will not install or operate properly.
    >
    > --
    >
    > JANA

    can you think of any situation where the motherboard is "too old", and
    the cpu and ram are fine(young fit and healthy, whatever), and the
    computer fails?

    or to put it another way. (since there are a few joke answers one
    could give)

    what situations did you have in mind - if any ?

    , Jun 30, 2008
  8. j

    Guest

    On Jun 30, 8:44 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Jun 30, 4:07 am, "JANA" <> wrote:
    >
    > > If the computer's mother board and or CPU is too old, and if there is
    > > not enough RAM, XP will not install or operate properly.

    > > --

    > > JANA

    > can you think of any situation where the motherboard is "too old", and
    > the cpu and ram are fine(young fit and healthy, whatever), and the
    > computer fails?

    Correction, I meant, the computer works, but the windows xp
    installation fails, because of the motherboard being "too old".