xp wont install properly!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by mel, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. mel

    mel Guest

    I have been trying to install Windows XP Professional as my operating system
    for some time now, & seem to be going round in circles.

    Originally I decided upon a clean install & upgrade, so I purchased a new
    AS Rock P4VT8+ motherboard & a new Pentium Celeron 2.40Ghz processor, I
    fitted these in my old midi tower case. Because it was a Pentium processor
    then I needed to update my power supply to one with the extra plug fitted.
    So I purchased a new 350Watt power supply, which was then fitted in the
    case. I now needed a new graphics card & memory because my old computer
    system was incompatible with the new setup, so I purchased a new Asus V9400
    Magic MX4000 & new 256MB, pc2100 DDR memory.

    I initially used my old Floppy drive & 40Gig hard drive & my old CD-RW
    16.10.40x Drive. I used a CD with windows XP Professional ( no service pk 1
    or 2 on it) that had been used a few times to install XP on to my old
    system, & had never experienced any problems, doing so.

    When I started my first install onto my new setup, I checked that I had the
    latest Bios installed & changed the settings so that the CD was first to
    boot.

    My problem is that.. I sometimes get various errors reported when I try to
    install the operating system, but not always the same problems. Sometimes it
    will just hang at various stages of setup ..Other times it will report that
    files are not found or copied correctly, but rarely the same as previous
    ones. Sometimes it will not format correctly ( I have tried all methods of
    formatting & both types i.e., FAT & NTFS). Sometimes it will install further
    than the previous time, but there is no pattern that is recognisable with
    the faults. It has on rare occasions loaded everything properly & setup
    correctly only to either hang or crash in a very random manner minutes,
    hours, or a few days later, it will sometimes crash for no reason at all!

    I have tried the following to try & cure this.. I have replaced the
    motherboard & processor with others, namely a new PC Chips FSB 400
    motherboard & new AMD Athlon XP 2.7Ghz processor. I have replaced the
    memory with a new 256MB, pc3200 DDR. & tried my old power supply with it.

    I have tried in total & all combinations the following, with both
    motherboard setups... 2 Different CD_RW Drives, 3 Different CD Drives, 5
    different hard drives ( various sizes one of which was brand new), 7. CDs
    with different operating systems ( 4 XP professional 1xp home 1 ME .& 1 win
    98, & had problems with all of them in one way & another but again no fault
    pattern common to them all, and they have been ok setting up other
    computers.) I have tried a different new graphics card ( Xabre 200 AG200
    64Mb) & different monitor, & still I have installation problems, & am fast
    running out of ideas what to try next! ( I have also tried upgrading from a
    previous operating system (ME & Win 98 with the same results),

    Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be, & how to cure it
    please?

    ( apart from the obvious one that involves using a big hammer!)

    mel, Jan 6, 2005

  2. mel

    Wizard Guest

    Try a store bought XP CD.

    Wizard, Jan 6, 2005

  3. mel

    Guest

    mel wrote:
> [...]

    > with different operating systems ( 4 XP professional 1xp home 1 ME .&

    1 win
    > 98, & had problems with all of them in one way & another but again no

    fault
    > pattern common to them all, and they have been ok setting up other
    > computers.) I have tried a different new graphics card ( Xabre 200

    AG200
    > 64Mb) & different monitor, & still I have installation problems, &

    am fast
    > running out of ideas what to try next! ( I have also tried upgrading

    from a
    > previous operating system (ME & Win 98 with the same results),
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be, & how to

    cure it
    > please?
    >

    > ( apart from the obvious one that involves using a big hammer!)

    copy the contents of the Cd onto HDD, then try to run setup from HDD.

    It could be an IDE connector where the CD drive is plugged into, it
    could be the cd drive, it could be the cd.

    Whenever I do a copy from DOS, it always stops on a file. Fortunately,
    I have 2 Cd dsrives in my computer and 2 identical Win XP installation
    CDs. When it halts on a file, I either switch to the other Cd, or
    switch to the other cd drive, then it halts again, and I repeat.
    I might have the same problem as you. I have also had Win XP
    installtion halt on a file, but then had no problems when I put the CD
    in my other CD drive.

    CD drives are EXTREMELY RANDOM, I don't care what anybody says, they
    are a shit technology. The only reason why I have a stable reliably
    system while using CD drives is because I have 2 drives. And I have
    another computer that I switch to, that also has 2 cd drives!! I also
    ave a load of different media. One of my reliable drives is unable to
    write to 800MB CDs. Yet the less reliable drive that tends to halt
    during XP installations, can write to 800MB discs. They all halt during
    DOS Copys.

    It took me a long time to even get CD drives that worked. New drives
    didn't seem to be supported, and I had to download firmware to get them
    supported. I went through loasd of shit. After wasting loads of money,
    I just bought about 3 Cd-r drives off of ebay, and they all worked.
    Still, the only one that writes to 800MB discs is a DVD RW that wasn't
    from ebay, and it seems that I need an 800MB CD to take a slipstreamed
    Win XP sp2.

    If after you sdwap the CD drom one drive to another during the
    installation, it still fails, then your problem is different to mine.
    Probably simple. Probably just a bad CD. But there's a good chance
    that if you swap the CD from one drive to another, or make a duplicate
    of the CD and keep swapping one Cd for the other one, then it will
    work. It is random, you're right, and therefore each time you swap
    (either Cd in other drive, or other cd in drive, it halts at a
    different file. Thus, you can get setup completed!!)

    , Jan 6, 2005