XP won't get past Splash

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ralph D., Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    WinXP (sp1 all updates until about 3 or 4 weeks ago) /98SE Dual boot

    ECS K7S5A v 3.1

    Last Sunday I installed Motherboard Monitor... this may be a red herring, as
    it ran OK until today, but that and a lost connection mssg with my HP
    Photosmart 1215 are the only things of any remarkable note.

    Today I rebooted XP and got as far as the splash screen where the green line
    runs across and then the screen went blank and stayed that way.

    Restarted to the Normal Start with same results.

    Start with Last Known Good Configuration did the same.

    Started Safe mode and removed MotherBoard Monitor with no joy.

    Started Safe mode and did a Restore Point to Saturday, when I restarted it
    got to the same spot and died... but when I went back to Safe Mode it said
    'Restore Successful', yet when I tried to restart I still only got to the
    same Splash with green bar and then black and let it wait it out for over 5
    minutes with not so much as a flicker out of the HD light.

    Device Manager shows nothing unusual.

    Win98SE boots and runs fine.

    ?????????What next?????????

    Thanks for any help!

    Ralph D., Jul 1, 2004

  2. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    "Ralph D." <> wrote in message
    > WinXP (sp1 all updates until about 3 or 4 weeks ago) /98SE Dual boot
    >
    > ECS K7S5A v 3.1
    >
    > Last Sunday I installed Motherboard Monitor... this may be a red herring,

    as
    > it ran OK until today, but that and a lost connection mssg with my HP
    > Photosmart 1215 are the only things of any remarkable note.
    >

    > Today I rebooted XP and got as far as the splash screen where the green

    line
    > runs across and then the screen went blank and stayed that way.
    >
    > Restarted to the Normal Start with same results.
    >
    > Start with Last Known Good Configuration did the same.
    >
    > Started Safe mode and removed MotherBoard Monitor with no joy.
    >
    > Started Safe mode and did a Restore Point to Saturday, when I restarted it
    > got to the same spot and died... but when I went back to Safe Mode it said
    > 'Restore Successful', yet when I tried to restart I still only got to the
    > same Splash with green bar and then black and let it wait it out for over

    5
    > minutes with not so much as a flicker out of the HD light.
    >
    > Device Manager shows nothing unusual.
    >
    > Win98SE boots and runs fine.
    >

    > ?????????What next?????????
    >

    > Thanks for any help!

    Just to be clear... I may be mis-phrasing when I call the black WinXP Home
    screen with the moving green bar a Splash screen... but the idea is that XP
    stops responding at this point in the boot process.

    Ralph D., Jul 1, 2004

  3. Ralph D.

    The Prophecy Guest

    Ralph D. wrote:
    > "Ralph D." <> wrote in message
    >> WinXP (sp1 all updates until about 3 or 4 weeks ago) /98SE Dual boot
    >>
    >> ECS K7S5A v 3.1
    >>
    >> Last Sunday I installed Motherboard Monitor... this may be a red
    >> herring, as it ran OK until today, but that and a lost connection
    >> mssg with my HP Photosmart 1215 are the only things of any
    >> remarkable note.
    >>

    >> Today I rebooted XP and got as far as the splash screen where the
    >> green line runs across and then the screen went blank and stayed
    >> that way.
    >>
    >> Restarted to the Normal Start with same results.
    >>
    >> Start with Last Known Good Configuration did the same.
    >>
    >> Started Safe mode and removed MotherBoard Monitor with no joy.
    >>
    >> Started Safe mode and did a Restore Point to Saturday, when I
    >> restarted it got to the same spot and died... but when I went back
    >> to Safe Mode it said 'Restore Successful', yet when I tried to
    >> restart I still only got to the same Splash with green bar and then
    >> black and let it wait it out for over 5 minutes with not so much as
    >> a flicker out of the HD light.
    >>
    >> Device Manager shows nothing unusual.
    >>
    >> Win98SE boots and runs fine.
    >>

    >> ?????????What next?????????
    >>

    >> Thanks for any help!
    >>

    > Just to be clear... I may be mis-phrasing when I call the black WinXP
    > Home screen with the moving green bar a Splash screen... but the idea
    > is that XP stops responding at this point in the boot process.

    I encountered this problem before. This explanation may not work for you but
    it is a good starting point.

    A friends computer was freezing at the splash screen just as you have
    described. I figured it was due to an old driver from an ATI video card that
    was not properly uninstalled. When the new driver was installed for the new
    card, my friend noticed this problem and called me.

    Have you made any recent hardware changes to your computer?

    The Prophecy, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    > Ralph D. wrote:
    > > "Ralph D." <> wrote in message
    > >> WinXP (sp1 all updates until about 3 or 4 weeks ago) /98SE Dual boot
    > >>
    > >> ECS K7S5A v 3.1
    > >>
    > >> Last Sunday I installed Motherboard Monitor... this may be a red
    > >> herring, as it ran OK until today, but that and a lost connection
    > >> mssg with my HP Photosmart 1215 are the only things of any
    > >> remarkable note.
    > >>

    > >> Today I rebooted XP and got as far as the splash screen where the
    > >> green line runs across and then the screen went blank and stayed
    > >> that way.
    > >>
    > >> Restarted to the Normal Start with same results.
    > >>
    > >> Start with Last Known Good Configuration did the same.
    > >>
    > >> Started Safe mode and removed MotherBoard Monitor with no joy.
    > >>
    > >> Started Safe mode and did a Restore Point to Saturday, when I
    > >> restarted it got to the same spot and died... but when I went back
    > >> to Safe Mode it said 'Restore Successful', yet when I tried to
    > >> restart I still only got to the same Splash with green bar and then
    > >> black and let it wait it out for over 5 minutes with not so much as
    > >> a flicker out of the HD light.
    > >>
    > >> Device Manager shows nothing unusual.
    > >>
    > >> Win98SE boots and runs fine.
    > >>

    > >> ?????????What next?????????
    > >>

    > >> Thanks for any help!
    > >>

    > > Just to be clear... I may be mis-phrasing when I call the black WinXP
    > > Home screen with the moving green bar a Splash screen... but the idea
    > > is that XP stops responding at this point in the boot process.

    > I encountered this problem before. This explanation may not work for you

    but
    > it is a good starting point.
    >
    > A friends computer was freezing at the splash screen just as you have
    > described. I figured it was due to an old driver from an ATI video card

    that
    > was not properly uninstalled. When the new driver was installed for the

    new
    > card, my friend noticed this problem and called me.
    >
    > Have you made any recent hardware changes to your computer?

    No changes since my video went dead about 2 1/2 months or more back.
    Replaced it with an old NVIDIA GeForce MX440 64Meg card I had, but the
    installation and drivers went fine and has run fine since. When I look at
    Device Mgr in Safe Mode I do not see any issues.

    Thanks for responding

    Ralph D., Jul 1, 2004
  5. Ralph D.

    The Prophecy Guest

    Ralph D. wrote:
    > "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    >> Ralph D. wrote:
    >>> "Ralph D." <> wrote in message

    >>> Just to be clear... I may be mis-phrasing when I call the black
    >>> WinXP Home screen with the moving green bar a Splash screen... but
    >>> the idea is that XP stops responding at this point in the boot
    >>> process.

    >> I encountered this problem before. This explanation may not work for
    >> you but it is a good starting point.
    >>
    >> A friends computer was freezing at the splash screen just as you have
    >> described. I figured it was due to an old driver from an ATI video
    >> card that was not properly uninstalled. When the new driver was
    >> installed for the new card, my friend noticed this problem and
    >> called me.
    >>
    >> Have you made any recent hardware changes to your computer?
    >>

    > No changes since my video went dead about 2 1/2 months or more back.
    > Replaced it with an old NVIDIA GeForce MX440 64Meg card I had, but the
    > installation and drivers went fine and has run fine since. When I
    > look at Device Mgr in Safe Mode I do not see any issues.
    >
    > Thanks for responding

    Do you have the latest video driver? The latest one for the Geforce Cards
    should be 5.6.7.2

    Here is the link if your driver is out of date:

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.72

    The Prophecy, Jul 1, 2004