Xp won't connect to other members of workgroup but can ping?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by wrreisen2@yahoo.com, Aug 4, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    Have just installed xp on a machine. From this machine I can access the
    internet through ethernet cable through router switch. I can ping other
    members of the WORKGROUP from this machine and can ping this machine
    from anther member of the Workgroup. When I try to map a network drive
    on this problematic machine it comes back:

    The mapped network drive could not be reached because the following
    error has occurred:
    The network location cannot be reached. For informatio about network
    troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

    I have made the drive I was trying to map shared on the network.

    When I make a drive on the problematic machine sharable with the
    network. Other machines on the network can't map it and comes back with
    the error message:

    The network path \\joy2\c could not be found.

    The LAN TCPIP is set to get IP and DNS automatically on all the
    machines.

    Thanks for any advice

    , Aug 4, 2006

  2. What's the system error? if it is system error 5, this is permission issue. this troubleshooting may help,

    troubleshooting is not accessible error "System Error 5 has occurred" · "System Error 51 has occurred" · "System Error 53 has occurred". Troubleshooting step by step: ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/Troubleshooting/notaccessibale0.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

    Robert L [MS-MVP], Aug 4, 2006

  3. RobMarsh Guest

    This could be a permissions problem. with XP if your file system is
    NTFS there are two sets of permissions that are taken into account. The
    first is Shared permissions and the second is NTFS permissions. What I
    always to to ensure proper permissions is to give the everyone group
    full access in the shared permissions and then setup NTFS permissions
    for the users/groups who need access.

    I noticed you are also trying to access the c drive. (\\joy2\c) by
    default XP shares the C drive, the share name is C$, the $ denotes that
    it is a hidden share. By default only members of the administrators
    group can access this share.

    RobMarsh, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Did you check the

    Use simple file sharing on the view tab of folder options, if it is checked,
    uncheck and try.

    get back if the issue persists.
    --
    All is well when u''''r mind is well

    =?Utf-8?B?S2lyYW4gS3VtYXI=?=, Aug 5, 2006
  5. Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for all your replies.

    How do I find out the system error please. On the error messages
    themselves there didn't appear to be one mentioned on there.

    I tried unchecking the simple file sharing this made no difference. I
    rebooted, just the same.

    I try mapping one of the problematic computer's own shared folders it
    comes back with:

    The mapped network drive could not be created because of the following
    error has occurred: The network location cannot be reached.

    I tried mapping to c or c$ same error messages come.

    I've had a look in the event log there are two errors:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NetBT
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4311
    Date: 05/08/2006
    Time: 07:27:22
    User: N/A
    Computer: JOY2
    Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 58 00 ......X.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 d7 10 00 c0 ....×..À
    0010: 13 01 00 00 3b 00 00 c0 ....;..À
    0018: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

    and

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ACPI
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4
    Date: 05/08/2006
    Time: 07:23:59
    User: N/A
    Computer: JOY2
    AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address
    (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This
    could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for
    technical assistance.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 52 00 ......R.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 05 c0 .......À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

    The Windows firewall wasn't working until I went through the procedure
    mentioned here:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mi...9877b?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#650de40e0ae9877b

    Registering the following DLLs might help.

    From Start/Run, run the following commands:

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll

    then

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll

    Then do a reboot.

    Do you think some of the dll s to do with networking with the Workgroup
    may need registering in the same way?

    Thanks for any advice.

    , Aug 5, 2006
  6. Chuck Guest

    On 4 Aug 2006 12:03:32 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Have just installed xp on a machine. From this machine I can access the
    >internet through ethernet cable through router switch. I can ping other
    >members of the WORKGROUP from this machine and can ping this machine
    >from anther member of the Workgroup. When I try to map a network drive
    >on this problematic machine it comes back:
    >
    >The mapped network drive could not be reached because the following
    >error has occurred:
    >The network location cannot be reached. For informatio about network
    >troubleshooting, see Windows Help.
    >
    >I have made the drive I was trying to map shared on the network.
    >
    >When I make a drive on the problematic machine sharable with the
    >network. Other machines on the network can't map it and comes back with
    >the error message:
    >
    >The network path \\joy2\c could not be found.
    >

    >The LAN TCPIP is set to get IP and DNS automatically on all the
    >machines.
    >
    >Thanks for any advice

    One of the most common causes of this problem would be a misconfigured or
    overlooked personal firewall, or other security component. There are several
    other possibilities too.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html

    Also check the NetBT setting for each computer - is it consistent?
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/04/netbios-over-tcpip.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/04/netbios-over-tcpip.html

    Finally, look at "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and
    "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the problem. Read
    this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
    browstat!):
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    Chuck, Aug 5, 2006
  7. Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 5, 2006
  8. One thing that you might want to check is to make sure that you have selected
    "Enable NetBIOS over TCPIP" under Advanced TCP/IP Settings > WINS for your
    Local Areas Connection TCPIP properties.

    Also, you might need to check to make sure tha the "Computer Browser"
    service is running under your Services.

    =?Utf-8?B?VmlydHVhbHBhbA==?=, Sep 7, 2006
  9. bhuwan

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    one system can ping with other system but does not show workgroup computers

    one system can ping with other systems and also other system can ping with this system but the system not show workgroup computers but other system shows and a message comes that the network can not reach the destination or the network path was not found. the o/s is xp sp2.

    i have allready done much more things.

    i'm very hopeless.pls sombedy give me solution. i'll be very thankful to him.

    thanks

    bhuwan, Dec 8, 2009