XP won't boot "about to enter sleep mode"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Raúl Muñiz, Dec 22, 2007.

  1. Raúl Muñiz

    Raúl Muñiz Guest

    First an apology. I googled this extensively before posting
    here, but could not find a solution.

    I had a call from a friend today concerned because her XP Home won't
    boot up properly. After having been turned off by her literally
    pulling the plug last night, now she gets a message that Windows
    wouldn't start properly and offering her several options, Safe Mode,
    Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last known
    good configuration and Start Windows normally. None work . That is to
    say they all start, the Windows XP splash screen comes up, then
    "warning: about to enter sleep mode", and the system reboots. Is there
    a way to fix this?

    --
    What can Windows software offer that Linux doesn't yet?
    Speech recognition.

    Raúl Muñiz, Dec 22, 2007

  2. Raúl Muñiz

    Try again Guest

    "Raúl Muñiz" <> wrote in message
    > First an apology. I googled this extensively before posting
    > here, but could not find a solution.
    >
    > I had a call from a friend today concerned because her XP Home won't
    > boot up properly. After having been turned off by her literally
    > pulling the plug last night, now she gets a message that Windows
    > wouldn't start properly and offering her several options, Safe Mode,
    > Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last known
    > good configuration and Start Windows normally. None work . That is to
    > say they all start, the Windows XP splash screen comes up, then
    > "warning: about to enter sleep mode", and the system reboots. Is there
    > a way to fix this?

    Change the keyboard the sleep button maybe stuck.
    Disconnect the printer.
    Google again but this time do seperate searches for each of following
    boot.ini
    Boot from XP installation disk
    Bootdisk
    Repair install XP
    XP Recovery Console

    Try again, Dec 23, 2007

  3. Raúl Muñiz

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 01:22:07 +0000, Try again wrote:

    > Change the keyboard the sleep button maybe stuck.

    You fucking what??????????????

    Aardvark, Dec 23, 2007
  4. Raúl Muñiz

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:54:25 +1300, Raúl Muñiz wrote:

    >Is there a way to fix this?

    Nope. Her PC is fucked

    > --
    > What can Windows software offer that Linux doesn't yet? Speech
    > recognition.

    Fix your sig delimiter.

    Aardvark, Dec 23, 2007
  5. Raúl Muñiz wrote:

    > First an apology. I googled this extensively before posting
    > here, but could not find a solution.
    >
    > I had a call from a friend today concerned because her XP Home won't
    > boot up properly. After having been turned off by her literally
    > pulling the plug last night, now she gets a message that Windows
    > wouldn't start properly and offering her several options, Safe Mode,
    > Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last known
    > good configuration and Start Windows normally. None work . That is to
    > say they all start, the Windows XP splash screen comes up, then
    > "warning: about to enter sleep mode", and the system reboots. Is there
    > a way to fix this?

    The "sleep mode" warning comes from the monitor, not windows.
    Looks like some important system file is hosed or inaccessible.
    Running repair console from the bootable XP cd and chkdsk may or may not
    help, otherwise a repair install is in order.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 24, 2007
  6. Aardvark wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:54:25 +1300, Raúl Muñiz wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a way to fix this?
    >>

    > Nope. Her PC is fucked

    Maybe a chkdsk from repair console could fix that.

    >> --
    >> What can Windows software offer that Linux doesn't yet? Speech
    >> recognition.

    > Fix your sig delimiter.

    My knode does fine with that. Maybe the two delimiters fool your PAN, it may
    take only the last one (which doesn't contain the whitespace) inserted by
    some crappy "free" news server.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 24, 2007
  7. Raúl Muñiz

    Art Guest

    Raúl Muñiz wrote:
    > I had a call from a friend today concerned because her XP Home won't
    > boot up properly. After having been turned off by her literally
    > pulling the plug last night, now she gets a message that Windows
    > wouldn't start properly and offering her several options, Safe Mode,
    > Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last known
    > good configuration and Start Windows normally. None work . That is to
    > say they all start, the Windows XP splash screen comes up, then
    > "warning: about to enter sleep mode", and the system reboots. Is there
    > a way to fix this?

    Why did she yank the plug? Obviously there was some other problem going
    on first that she is neglecting to tell you about and expecting you/us
    to magically deduce. Tell her when she does stupid shit like that it's
    her problem.

    --
    Art

    Art, Dec 24, 2007
  8. Raúl Muñiz

    catchme Guest

    Raúl Muñiz wrote:
    > First an apology. I googled this extensively before posting
    > here, but could not find a solution.
    >
    > I had a call from a friend today concerned because her XP Home won't
    > boot up properly. After having been turned off by her literally
    > pulling the plug last night, now she gets a message that Windows
    > wouldn't start properly and offering her several options, Safe Mode,
    > Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last known
    > good configuration and Start Windows normally. None work . That is to
    > say they all start, the Windows XP splash screen comes up, then
    > "warning: about to enter sleep mode", and the system reboots. Is there
    > a way to fix this?

    likely she somehow *unknowingly* set the computer to go into sleep mode
    when "idle" for a ridiculously short time(a few seconds even)
    try alternately pushing a key that won't have any purpose, while moving
    the mouse during startup (anything to convince the system that the
    computer is not idle) , and then continually move the mouse while
    waiting to access the power options settings, while praying that you can
    access and reset before the next reboot.

    catchme, Jan 12, 2008