    Since I havent begun installing everything else, and copying data back to my
    drive, maybe I shud stick to xp with sp1?

    thanx

    AFK, Dec 7, 2004

  2. "AFK" <> wrote in message
    news:q_gtd.123863$...
    > Had xp with sp1, it worked fine, until last week, when it begun to act
    > strangely, mind u, i've been meaning to format, reinstall and image the
    > drive, which I have now with below specs.
    > So this week, I installed xp, sp2 and the drivers.
    > I begun to install other applications like firefox 1, ad-aware, spybot, ms
    > office (upgraded sp1) etc, every now and then, any application that I
    > attempt to run will give me the program cud not be started error.
    > Adobe reader 6.01 does not start at all. reading the mozilla forum, it
    > seems firefox has something to do with it, even though I didnt attempt to
    > run the pdf's via firefox, instead, i tried opening it on its own, it
    > woulnd't start up.
    >
    > Can this be because of SP2, or something else.
    > Since I havent begun installing everything else, and copying data back to
    > my drive, maybe I shud stick to xp with sp1?
    >
    > thanx

    I had XP Home SP1 and i upped to SP2 and have not had one single problem.
    Mine came on a disk from one of the mags
    I also have installed all the apps you mention and they all run fine.

    For what its worth do your first plan, a clean re-install of XP and put on
    SP2 before any apps and see how it pans out.
    Make a restore point as you install each app. and that way at least if it
    does go tits up you can get things working ok without too much hassle and
    pin down the app. that might be causing the problem.
    I installed SP2 on two family members PCs and there were no problems on
    either.

    I cant believe i was lucky three times with it, i would bet that most of the
    SP2 probs are on machines where the Op.Sys is already farged up to some
    degree for whatever reason, and its SP2 thats bringing these lurking
    problems out.into the daylight

    Dr Hackenbush, Dec 7, 2004

  3. AFK

    ImhoTech Guest

    "Dr Hackenbush" <_INVALID> wrote in
    message news:08jtd.36$...

    > "AFK" <> wrote in message
    >> Had xp with sp1, it worked fine, until last week, when it begun to act
    >> strangely, mind u, i've been meaning to format, reinstall and image the
    >> drive, which I have now with below specs.
    >> So this week, I installed xp, sp2 and the drivers.
    >> I begun to install other applications like firefox 1, ad-aware, spybot,
    >> ms office (upgraded sp1) etc, every now and then, any application that I
    >> attempt to run will give me the program cud not be started error.
    >> Adobe reader 6.01 does not start at all. reading the mozilla forum, it
    >> seems firefox has something to do with it, even though I didnt attempt to
    >> run the pdf's via firefox, instead, i tried opening it on its own, it
    >> woulnd't start up.
    >>
    >> Can this be because of SP2, or something else.
    >> Since I havent begun installing everything else, and copying data back to
    >> my drive, maybe I shud stick to xp with sp1?
    >>
    >> thanx

    > I had XP Home SP1 and i upped to SP2 and have not had one single problem.
    > Mine came on a disk from one of the mags
    > I also have installed all the apps you mention and they all run fine.
    >
    > For what its worth do your first plan, a clean re-install of XP and put on
    > SP2 before any apps and see how it pans out.
    > Make a restore point as you install each app. and that way at least if it
    > does go tits up you can get things working ok without too much hassle and
    > pin down the app. that might be causing the problem.
    > I installed SP2 on two family members PCs and there were no problems on
    > either.
    >
    > I cant believe i was lucky three times with it, i would bet that most of
    > the SP2 probs are on machines where the Op.Sys is already farged up to
    > some degree for whatever reason, and its SP2 thats bringing these lurking
    > problems out.into the daylight

    Boy you'll get somebodies panties all binched up trying to imply that SP2 is
    not the buggiest nasty update ever!

    But seriously, although there are known issues, I've done about 40 systems
    now, only two that had issues, and both of those were related to the Macafee
    Privacy Center, which actually, wasn't a bit surprising.

    ImhoTech, Dec 7, 2004
  4. AFK

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Dec 7, 2004
  5. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:30:20 GMT, in
    > <08jtd.36$>
    > Dr Hackenbush scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>I had XP Home SP1 and i upped to SP2 and have not had one single problem.
    >>Mine came on a disk from one of the mags

    > Hehehe! That's funny, that is.
    >
    > Full thread:
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?J307156F9
    >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Look fuckwit, you really are beginning to piss me off, like i said laudable
    but laughable.

    If you had said get theSP2 CD from a mag but meanwhile until you do turn on
    XP Firewall that you already have... at least you will have some protection
    until then...

    better to leave him/her with no protection at all i suppose !!

    Dr Hackenbush, Dec 7, 2004
  6. AFK

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:20:53 GMT, in
    <pTjtd.39$>
    Dr Hackenbush scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:30:20 GMT, in
    >> <08jtd.36$>
    >> Dr Hackenbush scrawled:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>I had XP Home SP1 and i upped to SP2 and have not had one single problem.
    >>>Mine came on a disk from one of the mags

    >> Hehehe! That's funny, that is.
    >>
    >> Full thread:
    >> http://makeashorterlink.com/?J307156F9
    >>

    >Look fuckwit, you really are beginning to piss me off,

    Oh dear, loosing it already?

    >like i said laudable but laughable.

    There is nothing laughable about it, except your response.

    >If you had said get theSP2 CD from a mag but meanwhile
    >until you do turn on XP Firewall that you already have... at
    >least you will have some protection until then...
    >
    >better to leave him/her with no protection at all i suppose !!

    You don't read very well, do you? The problem was
    from the OP's friend, who didn't live near.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 7, 2004
  7. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:20:53 GMT, in
    > <pTjtd.39$>
    > Dr Hackenbush scrawled:
    >

    >>"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:30:20 GMT, in
    >>> <08jtd.36$>
    >>> Dr Hackenbush scrawled:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> Hehehe! That's funny, that is.
    >>>
    >>> Full thread:
    >>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?J307156F9
    >>>

    >>Look fuckwit, you really are beginning to piss me off,

    > Oh dear, loosing it already?

    >>like i said laudable but laughable.

    > There is nothing laughable about it, except your response.
    >
    >>If you had said get theSP2 CD from a mag but meanwhile
    >>until you do turn on XP Firewall that you already have... at
    >>least you will have some protection until then...
    >>
    >>better to leave him/her with no protection at all i suppose !!

    > You don't read very well, do you? The problem was
    > from the OP's friend, who didn't live near.

    What ? are you fucking stupid or something, dont they have telephones ,
    email and other modern technologies where ever they are. ? Are they using
    tin cans on string or something.

    They both have PC's, if his friend doesnt have an Internet connection why
    does he need a firewall?
    If he has an internet connection its a pretty fair and safe assumption that
    he also has email of some sort

    As to reading, like i said you should take a dose of your own medicine.

    I have shown the OP to three other people at work and they all agree, you
    really have missed the point

    And believe me i certainly dont "lose it" over insignificant twats like
    yourself. Piss me off yeh lose it no, !

    Dr Hackenbush, Dec 7, 2004
  8. AFK

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Dr Hackenbush vaguely muttered something like ...

    > I cant believe i was lucky three times with it, i would bet that most of
    > the SP2 probs are on machines where the Op.Sys is already farged up to
    > some degree for whatever reason, and its SP2 thats bringing these lurking
    > problems out.into the daylight

    Totally agree.

    --
    Paul ...
    http://dogpoopblog.blogspot.com/

    Paul - xxx, Dec 7, 2004
  9. AFK

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:18:03 GMT, in
    <%Iktd.581$>
    Dr Hackenbush scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:20:53 GMT, in
    >> <pTjtd.39$>
    >> Dr Hackenbush scrawled:
    >>

    >>>"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >>>Look fuckwit, you really are beginning to piss me off,

    >> Oh dear, loosing it already?

    >>>like i said laudable but laughable.

    >> There is nothing laughable about it, except your response.
    >>
    >>>If you had said get theSP2 CD from a mag but meanwhile
    >>>until you do turn on XP Firewall that you already have... at
    >>>least you will have some protection until then...
    >>>
    >>>better to leave him/her with no protection at all i suppose !!

    >> You don't read very well, do you? The problem was
    >> from the OP's friend, who didn't live near.
    >>

    >What ? are you fucking stupid or something,

    "or something".

    >dont they have telephones , email and other modern technologies
    >where ever they are. ? Are they using tin cans on string or something.

    What does that unintelligible babbling mean?

    >They both have PC's, if his friend doesnt have an Internet connection

    Who said he didn't?

    >why does he need a firewall?
    >
    >If he has an internet connection its a pretty fair and safe assumption that
    >he also has email of some sort

    Yes, and?

    >As to reading, like i said you should take a dose of your own medicine.

    You really are not making a whole lot of sense...again.

    >I have shown the OP to three other people at work

    So, you don't have any faith in your own inane babblings, then?

    >and they all agree,

    Good grief! Where on earth do your work, for pity's sake?

    > you really have missed the point

    Not in the slightest; on the contrary, you missed it by a mile.
    Here, let me refresh your memory (if you can concentrate
    hard enough to actually read this):

    "...apparentl;y the Help and Support menu on mine (which
    has a Firewall link in "Protecting Your PC; Security basics")
    is not in their older (about 4 yrs old, I think) XP version on
    this particular menu."

    "What's the (very) easiest way, therefore, for them to get to
    some screen to ENABLE their XP Firewall ?"

    >And believe me i certainly dont "lose it" over insignificant twats like
    >yourself. Piss me off yeh lose it no, !

    Oh, come now, you're losing it again.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 7, 2004
  10. AFK

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Dr Hackenbush" <_INVALID> wrote:

    <snip>

    >I cant believe i was lucky three times with it, i would bet that most of the
    >SP2 probs are on machines where the Op.Sys is already farged up to some
    >degree for whatever reason, and its SP2 thats bringing these lurking
    >problems out.into the daylight

    Yup.

    Service Pack 2 install preparation:

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada