XP wireless woes

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by gohabsgoogle, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. gohabsgoogle

    gohabsgoogle Guest

    Hi all,

    I hope someone here can help. I just upgraded my router to a linksys
    N router and while all my machines can get to the internet, I can not
    get my home network working (I had it working before, I swear).

    My main desktop(not a Dell) is visible from a laptop (Dell) and
    another desktop(Dell) but my main desktop can not see the other two.
    I can not even ping by IP address. I have checked firewall settings
    and file and printer sharing is enabled and permitted.

    I have checked a number of other sites and check lists to no avail.
    When I click on view workgroup computers, I see the dells, but can not
    connect to them (network path was not found).

    Any ideas? Main desktop is XP PRO and other two are XP Home. All are
    at SP2

    Thanks for any suggestions,

    Larry

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Aug 8, 2007

  3. gohabsgoogle

    gohabsgoogle Guest

    On Aug 7, 11:59 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]"
    <> wrote:
    > if turn off the firewall, can you ping by IP?

    With the firewalls disabled I can ping from the dell to the nondell
    desktop by IP but not the other way around. Interesting note, I tried
    entering the hostname of the dell, ie \\Delaine into explorer and up
    pops the shared drives! However, I can not see the computer in
    workgroups or network places. Any ideas why?

    gohabsgoogle, Aug 8, 2007
  4. If you can access remote computer using \\hostname but not from the network places, this could be the computer browser issue. Use browstat to troubleshooting. This link may help,

    Computer BrowserThe computer browser is to display a directory of all known computers or domains that the computer can reach. The purpose of the browser service is to ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Aug 9, 2007
  5. gohabsgoogle

    gohabsgoogle Guest

    On Aug 8, 9:35 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <>
    wrote:
    > If you can access remote computer using \\hostname but not from the network places, this could be the computer browser issue. Use browstat to troubleshooting. This link may help,
    >
    > Computer BrowserThe computer browser is to display a directory of all known computers or domains that the computer can reach. The purpose of the browser service is to ...
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm
    >
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "gohabsgoogle" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    > On Aug 7, 11:59 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <> wrote:
    >
    > > if turn off the firewall, can you ping by IP?

    > With the firewalls disabled I can ping from the dell to the nondell
    > desktop by IP but not the other way around. Interesting note, I tried
    > entering the hostname of the dell, ie \\Delaine into explorer and up
    > pops the shared drives! However, I can not see the computer in
    > workgroups or network places. Any ideas why?

    I reconfigured McAfee firewall to trust LAN members and that fixed the
    problem. Thanks for all the suggestions.

    gohabsgoogle, Aug 9, 2007
  6. Thank you for the update.

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Aug 10, 2007