    saying that it is "not accessible. You might not have permissions...".

    Why in the world would other folders be accessible but the one that's
    supposed to be automatic not be accessible over wireless?
    David Teich, Dec 26, 2007

  2. David Teich

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:54:00 -0800, David Teich
    <> wrote:

    >I've just replace my router with one that has wireless and connected my
    >laptop through wireless. I can see shared folders on my desktop expect for
    >the one I thought was automatic: Shareddocs. The network gives me an error
    >saying that it is "not accessible. You might not have permissions...".
    >
    >Why in the world would other folders be accessible but the one that's
    >supposed to be automatic not be accessible over wireless?

    David,

    When you involve WiFi networking, and the NT browser (the ability to "see" and
    access other computers), you have possible problems unless you configure it
    properly.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html

    You could look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
    server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the
    problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
    precisely (download browstat!):
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    Chuck [MVP], Dec 26, 2007

  3. David Teich

    David Teich Guest

    That gave me some places to look, but one key element was missing. The links
    told me all sorts of ways to check the NT browsers and resolve a number of
    difficulties, but I couldn't find a link showing one simple thing: How to
    start a browser.

    I have a network of three computers. You can get a sense of me by the names:
    - Groucho: my main desktop
    - Harpo: my laptop
    - Chico: my old desktop that's now a print, file and backup server

    when I run browstat on both Groucho and Harpo, it shows Chico is both master
    and backup browser and that there are no others. That tells me two things:
    1) Supposedly Groucho & Harpo both rely on it, but they don't see the same
    things on the network
    2) There aren't browsers running on the other two

    Both are problems and I can't find solutions. Any more pointers?

    thanx

    David Teich, Dec 27, 2007
  4. David Teich

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 02:14:00 -0800, David Teich
    <> wrote:

    >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:54:00 -0800, David Teich
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've just replace my router with one that has wireless and connected my
    >> >laptop through wireless. I can see shared folders on my desktop expect for
    >> >the one I thought was automatic: Shareddocs. The network gives me an error
    >> >saying that it is "not accessible. You might not have permissions...".
    >> >
    >> >Why in the world would other folders be accessible but the one that's
    >> >supposed to be automatic not be accessible over wireless?

    >> David,
    >>
    >> When you involve WiFi networking, and the NT browser (the ability to "see" and
    >> access other computers), you have possible problems unless you configure it
    >> properly.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html
    >>
    >> You could look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
    >> server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the
    >> problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
    >> precisely (download browstat!):
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    >That gave me some places to look, but one key element was missing. The links
    >told me all sorts of ways to check the NT browsers and resolve a number of
    >difficulties, but I couldn't find a link showing one simple thing: How to
    >start a browser.
    >
    >I have a network of three computers. You can get a sense of me by the names:
    >- Groucho: my main desktop
    >- Harpo: my laptop
    >- Chico: my old desktop that's now a print, file and backup server
    >
    >when I run browstat on both Groucho and Harpo, it shows Chico is both master
    >and backup browser and that there are no others. That tells me two things:
    >1) Supposedly Groucho & Harpo both rely on it, but they don't see the same
    >things on the network
    >2) There aren't browsers running on the other two

    What you're seeing in browstat sounds about right. If Chico is a file server,
    you're going to keep it online as much as possible. So it's the proper choice
    as the browser.

    The old "... access denied ..." error has many possible causes, besides a master
    browser conflict.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html

    When you got a new router, what subnet is the LAN on now? You may have a new
    subnet, and one or more personal firewalls may need updating, to reflect that.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>

    Chuck [MVP], Dec 28, 2007
  5. David Teich

    David Teich Guest

    Well, the access problem ended up being so simple that I'd overlooked it.
    I've never seem permissions die on a shared folder, so I hadn't looked. I
    checked the directory and, somehow (I certainly hadn't touched it), share
    permission had been ended. Oy vey! I added it back and, surprise, surprise,
    access succeeded. Who knows what the OS did.

    However, one thing's still missing: how to really manage the browser? I
    can't find on that site anything about how to manage them, only how to run
    browstat. Chico isn't really a formal Filer Server, just the old computer to
    where I do backups and on which I have the printer connected. I'd like to
    ensure that the main desktop, Groucho, has an alternate browser running just
    in case something happens to Chico (as I mentioned, it's old, even on it's
    second CPU, bios and hard disk...).

    Do you have a link to anything about how to configure and start a browser on
    and XP SP2 machine?

    thanx!

    David Teich, Dec 29, 2007
  6. David Teich

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 04:21:00 -0800, David Teich
    <> wrote:

    >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >> What you're seeing in browstat sounds about right. If Chico is a file server,
    >> you're going to keep it online as much as possible. So it's the proper choice
    >> as the browser.
    >>
    >> The old "... access denied ..." error has many possible causes, besides a master
    >> browser conflict.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html
    >>
    >> When you got a new router, what subnet is the LAN on now? You may have a new
    >> subnet, and one or more personal firewalls may need updating, to reflect that.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html

    >Well, the access problem ended up being so simple that I'd overlooked it.
    >I've never seem permissions die on a shared folder, so I hadn't looked. I
    >checked the directory and, somehow (I certainly hadn't touched it), share
    >permission had been ended. Oy vey! I added it back and, surprise, surprise,
    >access succeeded. Who knows what the OS did.
    >
    >However, one thing's still missing: how to really manage the browser? I
    >can't find on that site anything about how to manage them, only how to run
    >browstat. Chico isn't really a formal Filer Server, just the old computer to
    >where I do backups and on which I have the printer connected. I'd like to
    >ensure that the main desktop, Groucho, has an alternate browser running just
    >in case something happens to Chico (as I mentioned, it's old, even on it's
    >second CPU, bios and hard disk...).
    >
    >Do you have a link to anything about how to configure and start a browser on
    >and XP SP2 machine?
    >
    >thanx!

    Here's what I know about the browser, including how to diagnose and manage it.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html

    If you feel that you must have a backup, make it Groucho. If you use a laptop
    with WiFi, and involve it in your browser infrastructure, you'll become familiar
    with Browstat.exe.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck [MVP], Dec 29, 2007
  7. David Teich

    David Teich Guest

    Again, sorry, but, no, the url you gave does not help. It was in your
    original response, i looked at it then and just rechecked it. It tells how to
    analyze problems with EXISTING browsers. It doesn't give instructions on how
    to start a browser on a computer where it's not running. I even have followed
    the two MS links given in the "how can I prevent..." section. They just give
    descriptions or again talk about looking at existing browsers with browstat.

    David Teich, Dec 30, 2007
  8. David Teich

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 02:40:00 -0800, David Teich
    <> wrote:

    >Again, sorry, but, no, the url you gave does not help. It was in your
    >original response, i looked at it then and just rechecked it. It tells how to
    >analyze problems with EXISTING browsers. It doesn't give instructions on how
    >to start a browser on a computer where it's not running. I even have followed
    >the two MS links given in the "how can I prevent..." section. They just give
    >descriptions or again talk about looking at existing browsers with browstat.

    David,

    The browser is just a service. You start the service, or stop it, using service
    manager. Read the linked articles in my document, under "How Can I Prevent
    Browser Problems?".

    To stop the Browser on a Windows NT/2000/XP system, Stop then Disable the
    Computer Browser service, using the Services Wizard, or the Services Controller
    CLI.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck [MVP], Dec 30, 2007
  9. David Teich

    David Teich Guest

    Chuck:

    Dyslexia strikes again. I didn't even notice that you had "Computer Browser"
    capitalized the first time I read it, so I was thinking "so what's the name
    of the computer browser service?" Noticing the caps this time, I went to the
    service manager and easily found it. It's running just find on Groucho.

    I stopped and restarted it, so we're back to the original problem: Why is
    Chico the only one showing a server running when I run browstat on Groucho?
    If running the service is supposed to create a server, why doesn't it?

    Also, am I correctly reading your pages in that I should shut down the
    service on my laptop? That it will still see the other computers because
    Chico will be telling it the info rather than it collecting the information
    on its own server?

    thanx again for all the help.

    David

    David Teich, Dec 31, 2007
  10. David Teich

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 04:19:00 -0800, David Teich
    <> wrote:

    >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 02:40:00 -0800, David Teich
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Again, sorry, but, no, the url you gave does not help. It was in your
    >> >original response, i looked at it then and just rechecked it. It tells how to
    >> >analyze problems with EXISTING browsers. It doesn't give instructions on how
    >> >to start a browser on a computer where it's not running. I even have followed
    >> >the two MS links given in the "how can I prevent..." section. They just give
    >> >descriptions or again talk about looking at existing browsers with browstat.

    >> David,
    >>
    >> The browser is just a service. You start the service, or stop it, using service
    >> manager. Read the linked articles in my document, under "How Can I Prevent
    >> Browser Problems?".
    >>
    >> To stop the Browser on a Windows NT/2000/XP system, Stop then Disable the
    >> Computer Browser service, using the Services Wizard, or the Services Controller
    >> CLI.

    >Chuck:
    >
    >Dyslexia strikes again. I didn't even notice that you had "Computer Browser"
    >capitalized the first time I read it, so I was thinking "so what's the name
    >of the computer browser service?" Noticing the caps this time, I went to the
    >service manager and easily found it. It's running just find on Groucho.
    >
    >I stopped and restarted it, so we're back to the original problem: Why is
    >Chico the only one showing a server running when I run browstat on Groucho?
    >If running the service is supposed to create a server, why doesn't it?
    >
    >Also, am I correctly reading your pages in that I should shut down the
    >service on my laptop? That it will still see the other computers because
    >Chico will be telling it the info rather than it collecting the information
    >on its own server?
    >
    >thanx again for all the help.
    >
    >David

    David,

    Dyslexia is a constant problem - with helpers and helpees alike. I type
    "broswer" more than you would believe, I just hav a gud spel cheker. LOL.

    Having enough browsers is a tuning issue, when you have more than 2 servers.
    One of the reasons why the browser infrastructure in a commercial environment is
    less of a problem is that only servers run as servers, and only servers run the
    browser.

    If only Groucho is running the browser, and if Groucho is online whenever either
    Chico or Harpo is online, you're good to go. If you ever need to have Groucho
    offline and Chico and Harpo online, though, you will have to make Chico a
    browser too. If you do make both Chico and Groucho browsers, and the 2 are ever
    online but unable to contact each other, you could end up with both electing
    themselves master browsers. That's where the problems usually start.

    I don't know why you would have any browstat logs reporting "0 domains" or "0
    servers" though. This needs to be worked on. Browstat looks for SMBs, it's not
    magical. Something is blocking SMBs, and you need to fix that.
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck [MVP], Dec 31, 2007