    install a new VGA video driver. The video is onboard. What's going on?
    The present video driver is working fine. What's the best way to get the
    prompt to go away?

    mcp6453, Jan 7, 2005

  2. mcp6453

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > New computer with an Intel 865 motherboard and Windows XP SP2 is working
    > just fine. Until today. When the computer is rebooted, XP wants to install
    > a new VGA video driver. The video is onboard. What's going on? The present
    > video driver is working fine. What's the best way to get the prompt to go
    > away?

    As I recall, you'd need to locate the .inf file associated with the current
    video driver and delete so that Windows doesn't keep bugging you about this.
    Or sent it to a temp folder if you decide not to delete.

    Is that right, Thor?

    Mark Mandell, Jan 7, 2005

  3. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in message

    > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    >> New computer with an Intel 865 motherboard and Windows XP SP2 is working
    >> just fine. Until today. When the computer is rebooted, XP wants to
    >> install a new VGA video driver. The video is onboard. What's going on?
    >> The present video driver is working fine. What's the best way to get the
    >> prompt to go away?

    > As I recall, you'd need to locate the .inf file associated with the
    > current video driver and delete so that Windows doesn't keep bugging you
    > about this. Or sent it to a temp folder if you decide not to delete.
    >
    > Is that right, Thor?

    that's if Windows is trying to auto-install a different driver that you DO
    NOT wish to use. In his case, it may well be that the driver being chosen is
    correct, and the correct one is already installed but something has gone
    awry if windows is attempting to install it again and again and again.
    Removing the inf file for the driver will force windows to request one from
    the user once the device is deleted from the device manager, but it may end
    up in the same loop afterward. If he hasn't already gone ahead and allowed
    windows to install the driver as it wants to, he should try that first. It
    may decide to behave after that. I don't get the impression that he has
    tried that yet.

    Thor, Jan 7, 2005