XP/W2K Prom Peer to Peer Network Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Apr 22, 2006.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi, I'm having problems setting up a W2K Pro/XP Pro P2P network.

    Configuration: comcast broadband, linksys wrt54g wireless router. xp pro pc
    (A) rj45 connected to router,
    xp pro pc (B) wireless connection to router & dell c400 notebook (C) w2k pro
    wireless connection to router.
    All three computers are connecting to internet w/o difficulty.
    Task: c400 notebook (C) needs to print to printers connected to PC (A) and
    share files with PC (A).
    file sharing is enabled on PCs (A) & (C) and both of these PCs were added to
    workgroup using network
    wizard on XP Pro PC & manually configured on w2k pro notebook (C). Windows
    firewall disabled on xp pro pc and w2k pro notebook. However, xp pc has
    mcafee internet security suite enabled I forgot to check subnet mask on PCs
    (A) & (B). the xp pro pc (A) can see the w2k pro notebook (C) and access
    files on it but the w2k pro notebook (C) cannot see PC (A). Both can still
    access trhe internet. I set up identical user account on both pcs, but
    cannot access the p2p network from the w2k notebook unless administrator
    is logged on. The other accts are admin level but network services are
    disabled. on the xp pro PC user accts are admin level, but I can't locate
    the administrator acct to change password to the same as the w2k notebook.

    The user of PC (B) does not wantto be part of the workgroup or use the
    printers connected to PC (A).

    How can I systematically diagnose the problem and/or fix the problem? Do I
    need to do anything to the router's configuration?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike, Apr 22, 2006

  2. Mike

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Hi, I'm having problems setting up a W2K Pro/XP Pro P2P network.
    >
    > Configuration: comcast broadband, linksys wrt54g wireless router. xp pro pc
    > (A) rj45 connected to router,
    > xp pro pc (B) wireless connection to router & dell c400 notebook (C) w2k pro
    > wireless connection to router.
    > All three computers are connecting to internet w/o difficulty.
    > Task: c400 notebook (C) needs to print to printers connected to PC (A) and
    > share files with PC (A).
    > file sharing is enabled on PCs (A) & (C) and both of these PCs were added to
    > workgroup using network
    > wizard on XP Pro PC

    That was your first mistake was to use that wizard, which you should
    have done manually just like you did with the Win 2k pro machine.

    & manually configured on w2k pro notebook (C). Windows
    > firewall disabled on xp pro pc and w2k pro notebook.

    Win 2k doesn't have a FW unless you're talking about some 3rd party PFW.

    However, xp pc has
    > mcafee internet security suite enabled I forgot to check subnet mask on PCs
    > (A) & (B). the xp pro pc (A) can see the w2k pro notebook (C) and access
    > files on it but the w2k pro notebook (C) cannot see PC (A).

    Well you should disable MCafee and everything else until such time you
    have networking working.

    >Both can still
    > access trhe internet. I set up identical user account on both pcs, but
    > cannot access the p2p network from the w2k notebook unless administrator
    > is logged on.

    I don't know what the problem is there. What are you talking about? Is
    it that the Win 2K machine cannot access the XP pro machine?

    > The other accts are admin level but network services are
    > disabled.

    What are you talking about that the network services are disabled? The
    network services and client software are not based on a user account, as
    all user accounts can use the network services and client if they are
    installed on the NIC.

    > on the xp pro PC user accts are admin level, but I can't locate
    > the administrator acct to change password to the same as the w2k notebook.

    It's by user account that you make them the same on each the machine so
    they can access each other by user-account and you don't have to give
    the password. It has nothing to do with the machine's Admin account.

    > The user of PC (B) does not wantto be part of the workgroup or use the
    > printers connected to PC (A).

    It could be due to Win 2k has Netbeui on the NIC that is not a
    routerable protocol and may cause problems in a wireless to wireless or
    wireless to wire machine networking situation. You should remove Netbeui
    off the NIC on the Win 2k machine and match the protocols that are on
    the Win XP machine's NIC.

    > How can I systematically diagnose the problem and/or fix the problem? Do I
    > need to do anything to the router's configuration?

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Your other option is to install MS NWlink on the NIC's which will allow
    the machine to network when all else fails on the networking. If you
    choose to use NWlink, then make sure you uninstall Netbuei first off the
    NIC before installing NWlink on the Win 2K machine as you'll hose the
    the TCP/IP Stack without doing the uninstall before installing MS NWlink.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm

    You should try to secure the Win XP and Win 2k machines as much as
    possible in a wireless networking situation and sharing of resources as
    someone can hack and join your wireless network and be all over the top
    of your machines wired or wireless on the LAN.

    Take note of the Authenticated User Group on shares, which can be
    applied in a P2P situation.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    There is a link for Win 2K too.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 22, 2006

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
    message news:Wxl2g.11230$> That was your first mistake was to use that
    wizard, which you should
    > have done manually just like you did with the Win 2k pro machine.

    I know, I had a brain fart and couldn't remember how to access workgroup
    configuration in xp pro.
    Also, I raqd a couple of different times that using the wizard was
    desirable.

    > & manually configured on w2k pro notebook (C). Windows
    >> firewall disabled on xp pro pc and w2k pro notebook.

    > Win 2k doesn't have a FW unless you're talking about some 3rd party PFW.
    >
    > However, xp pc has
    >> mcafee internet security suite enabled I forgot to check subnet mask on
    >> PCs (A) & (B). the xp pro pc (A) can see the w2k pro notebook (C) and
    >> access files on it but the w2k pro notebook (C) cannot see PC (A).

    > Well you should disable MCafee and everything else until such time you
    > have networking working.

    Will do.

    >>Both can still access trhe internet. I set up identical user account on
    >>both pcs, but cannot access the p2p network from the w2k notebook unless
    >>administrator
    >> is logged on.

    > I don't know what the problem is there. What are you talking about? Is it
    > that the Win 2K machine cannot access the XP pro machine?

    I created log on accts for both pcs. When I logged onto the W2k notebook
    using one of the newly created admin accts network services are not
    accessible.
    Can only access network services when logged on as ADMIN. no kidding.
    >> The other accts are admin level but network services are disabled.

    > What are you talking about that the network services are disabled? The
    > network services and client software are not based on a user account, as
    > all user accounts can use the network services and client if they are
    > installed on the NIC.

    I agree, this is the first time I've seen it.

    >> on the xp pro PC user accts are admin level, but I can't locate the
    >> administrator acct to change password to the same as the w2k notebook.

    > It's by user account that you make them the same on each the machine so
    > they can access each other by user-account and you don't have to give the
    > password. It has nothing to do with the machine's Admin account.

    Noo password is needed? This is good news.

    >> The user of PC (B) does not wantto be part of the workgroup or use the
    >> printers connected to PC (A).

    > It could be due to Win 2k has Netbeui on the NIC that is not a routerable
    > protocol and may cause problems in a wireless to wireless or wireless to
    > wire machine networking situation. You should remove Netbeui off the NIC
    > on the Win 2k machine and match the protocols that are on the Win XP
    > machine's NIC.

    Good point. I didn't look for neteui. Will check.

    >> How can I systematically diagnose the problem and/or fix the problem? Do
    >> I need to do anything to the router's configuration?

    > http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
    >
    > Your other option is to install MS NWlink on the NIC's which will allow
    > the machine to network when all else fails on the networking. If you
    > choose to use NWlink, then make sure you uninstall Netbuei first off the
    > NIC before installing NWlink on the Win 2K machine as you'll hose the the
    > TCP/IP Stack without doing the uninstall before installing MS NWlink.
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm
    >
    > You should try to secure the Win XP and Win 2k machines as much as
    > possible in a wireless networking situation and sharing of resources as
    > someone can hack and join your wireless network and be all over the top of
    > your machines wired or wireless on the LAN.
    >
    > Take note of the Authenticated User Group on shares, which can be applied
    > in a P2P situation.
    >
    > http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
    >
    > There is a link for Win 2K too.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Duane, much thanks for taking the time to share your expertise via your
    thoughtful response.
    I haVen't had to set up p2p networking for > the a couple of years and just
    forgot certain steps.
    Will report back to group when I go out there to reconfigure the p2p
    network. I'm doing this for an
    employee who is temorarily disaaBLED.

    Mike

    Mike, Apr 22, 2006
  4. Mike

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
    > message news:Wxl2g.11230$> That was your first mistake was to use that
    > wizard, which you should
    >
    >>have done manually just like you did with the Win 2k pro machine.

    > I know, I had a brain fart and couldn't remember how to access workgroup
    > configuration in xp pro.
    > Also, I raqd a couple of different times that using the wizard was
    > desirable.

    On XP you use Start Button and select the My Computer line right-click
    it Properties/Name Tab and select the Change button, which will allow
    you to select Domain or Workgroup and give a name the machine is to join.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 22, 2006
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks

    "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
    message news:dQq2g.11272$...

    Mike, Apr 23, 2006
  6. Mike

    Plato Guest

  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
    > message news:Wxl2g.11230$> That was your first mistake was to use that
    > wizard, which you should
    >> have done manually just like you did with the Win 2k pro machine.

    > I know, I had a brain fart and couldn't remember how to access workgroup
    > configuration in xp pro.
    > Also, I raqd a couple of different times that using the wizard was
    > desirable.
    >

    >> & manually configured on w2k pro notebook (C). Windows
    >>> firewall disabled on xp pro pc and w2k pro notebook.

    I've got the same configuration at home - xp pro & w2k pro wireless notebook
    broadband
    connection via DSL router. Bothj PCs have file print sharing enabled, both
    belong to the dsame workgroup,
    both getting TCP IP addresses via DHCP from the router. Both PCs have a
    directory shared.

    >> Win 2k doesn't have a FW unless you're talking about some 3rd party PFW.
    >>
    >> However, xp pc has
    >>> mcafee internet security suite enabled I forgot to check subnet mask on
    >>> PCs (A) & (B). the xp pro pc (A) can see the w2k pro notebook (C) and
    >>> access files on it but the w2k pro notebook (C) cannot see PC (A).

    >> Well you should disable MCafee and everything else until such time you
    >> have networking working.

    Disabled third party firewall on the w2k pc and xp pc. This makes me
    nervous.
    Can I disable the broadband connection - get off the internet and still
    configure the
    network?

    Can ping the other PC from either PC.

    > Will do.
    >>
    >>>Both can still access trhe internet. I set up identical user account on
    >>>both pcs, but cannot access the p2p network from the w2k notebook unless
    >>>administrator
    >>> is logged on.

    >> I don't know what the problem is there. What are you talking about? Is it
    >> that the Win 2K machine cannot access the XP pro machine?

    > I created log on accts for both pcs. When I logged onto the W2k notebook
    > using one of the newly created admin accts network services are not
    > accessible.
    > Can only access network services when logged on as ADMIN. no kidding.
    >>> The other accts are admin level but network services are disabled.

    >> What are you talking about that the network services are disabled? The
    >> network services and client software are not based on a user account, as
    >> all user accounts can use the network services and client if they are
    >> installed on the NIC.

    > I agree, this is the first time I've seen it.
    >>
    >>> on the xp pro PC user accts are admin level, but I can't locate the
    >>> administrator acct to change password to the same as the w2k notebook.

    >> It's by user account that you make them the same on each the machine so
    >> they can access each other by user-account and you don't have to give the
    >> password. It has nothing to do with the machine's Admin account.

    Logged onto to both PCs using the same password and ADMIN level user name.

    > Noo password is needed? This is good news.
    >>

    >>> The user of PC (B) does not wantto be part of the workgroup or use the
    >>> printers connected to PC (A).

    >> It could be due to Win 2k has Netbeui on the NIC that is not a routerable
    >> protocol and may cause problems in a wireless to wireless or wireless to
    >> wire machine networking situation. You should remove Netbeui off the NIC
    >> on the Win 2k machine and match the protocols that are on the Win XP
    >> machine's NIC.

    > Good point. I didn't look for neteui. Will check.

    netbeui not enabled on either PC. This is very frustrating as I had these
    two PCs networked
    in the past.

    Mike, Apr 27, 2006
  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >>> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
    >>>
    >>> Your other option is to install MS NWlink on the NIC's which will allow
    >>> the machine to network when all else fails on the networking. If you
    >>> choose to use NWlink, then make sure you uninstall Netbuei first off the
    >>> NIC before installing NWlink on the Win 2K machine as you'll hose the
    >>> the
    >>> TCP/IP Stack without doing the uninstall before installing MS NWlink.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm
    >>>
    >>> You should try to secure the Win XP and Win 2k machines as much as
    >>> possible in a wireless networking situation and sharing of resources as
    >>> someone can hack and join your wireless network and be all over the top
    >>> of
    >>> your machines wired or wireless on the LAN.
    >>>
    >>> Take note of the Authenticated User Group on shares, which can be

    Enabled simple file sharing on the XP Pro PC SP2, enabled print & file
    sharing, setup a shared directory on both PCs,
    disabled firewalls on both PCs (third party firewall on W2K Pro SP4 PC),
    both PCs and router have unique IP addresses,
    Can ping either PC from the other PC. PCs are getting IP addresses from DHCP
    on DSL router.
    Any suggestions what else I can do to share files and printers on these PCs?

    Mike

    Mike, Apr 27, 2006
  10. Contrary to previous poster, I often find it necessary to install
    Netbeui on my network, wireless or wired, to enable file sharing. Try it.

    Airman Thunderbird, Apr 28, 2006
  11. Mike

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:29:43 -0500, Airman Thunderbird <>
    wrote:

    >Contrary to previous poster, I often find it necessary to install
    >Netbeui on my network, wireless or wired, to enable file sharing. Try it.

    Then you're doing something wrong. I have both Win2k SP 4 and XP Pro SP 2
    machines on my network, both wireless and wired - and no netbeui anywhere.

    --
    The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in
    the lie. One word of truth outweighs the world.

    Mara, Apr 28, 2006
  12. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Airman Thunderbird" <> wrote in message
    > Contrary to previous poster, I often find it necessary to install Netbeui
    > on my network, wireless or wired, to enable file sharing. Try it.
    >

    >> Enabled simple file sharing on the XP Pro PC SP2, enabled print & file
    >> sharing, setup a shared directory on both PCs,
    >> disabled firewalls on both PCs (third party firewall on W2K Pro SP4 PC),
    >> both PCs and router have unique IP addresses,
    >> Can ping either PC from the other PC. PCs are getting IP addresses from
    >> DHCP on DSL router.
    >> Any suggestions what else I can do to share files and printers on these
    >> PCs?
    >>
    >> Mike

    Is netbeui routable?

    Mike
    '

    Mike, Apr 28, 2006
  13. Mike

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > "Airman Thunderbird" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Contrary to previous poster, I often find it necessary to install Netbeui
    >>on my network, wireless or wired, to enable file sharing. Try it.
    >>

    >>>Enabled simple file sharing on the XP Pro PC SP2, enabled print & file
    >>>sharing, setup a shared directory on both PCs,
    >>>disabled firewalls on both PCs (third party firewall on W2K Pro SP4 PC),
    >>>both PCs and router have unique IP addresses,
    >>>Can ping either PC from the other PC. PCs are getting IP addresses from
    >>>DHCP on DSL router.
    >>>Any suggestions what else I can do to share files and printers on these
    >>>PCs?
    >>>
    >>>Mike
    >>>

    > Is netbeui routable?

    Sorry, I have been out of town on some business the last couple of days.

    http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/networking/guide/netnetbeui.html

    No, netbeui is not routable like I explained before, which will give you
    some problems in using wireless.

    All you need on the NIC's is TCP/IP, Client for MS Networks, and MS File
    and Print Sharing normally, which works 9 of 10 times works. But some
    times it doesn't.

    I saw your other post about disabling the personal FW(s) on the machines
    that you can do to get things to work. Because the machines are behind a
    NAT router, the router is protecting the machines from the Internet.

    Again, I'll point you to MS Nwlink that will make those machines network
    wire or wireless when all else fails in making them network. If you use
    it, then remove Netbeui of the Win 2k NIC.

    Duane Arnold, Apr 29, 2006
  14. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Any disadvatages to using netbeui?

    Mike, May 1, 2006
  15. None I'm aware of. Plus it's non-routable, thus invisible to the
    Internet. It's not the newest and coolest, but it works.

    Airman Thunderbird, May 1, 2006
  16. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in message news:g_O4g.14206$...
    > Mike wrote:
    >> "Airman Thunderbird" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Contrary to previous poster, I often find it necessary to install Netbeui
    >>>on my network, wireless or wired, to enable file sharing. Try it.
    >>>XP Pro

    >> Is netbeui routable?

    > Sorry, I have been out of town on some business the last couple of days.
    >
    > http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/networking/guide/netnetbeui.html
    >
    > No, netbeui is not routable like I explained before, which will give you
    > some problems in using wireless.
    >
    > All you need on the NIC's is TCP/IP, Client for MS Networks, and MS File
    > and Print Sharing normally, which works 9 of 10 times works. But some
    > times it doesn't.
    >
    > I saw your other post about disabling the personal FW(s) on the machines
    > that you can do to get things to work. Because the machines are behind a
    > NAT router, the router is protecting the machines from the Internet.
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >
    > Again, I'll point you to MS Nwlink that will make those machines network
    > wire or wireless when all else fails in making them network. If you use
    > it, then remove Netbeui of the Win 2k NIC.
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm
    >
    > Duane :)

    Good to see y ou're back.
    The broadband conection is Verizon DSL. XP Pro SP2 PC hardwired to router.
    NIC is configured with client for microsoft networks,
    deterministic netowrk enhancer (believe this is verizon),
    file & printer sharing,
    QoS packet scheduler,
    internet protocol TCP/IP,
    I disabled TCP/IP verison 6.
    Network neighborhood show nothing.

    Wireless notebook:
    client for microsoft networkd
    Deterministic network enhancer
    file and printer sharing for microsoft networks
    AEGIS Protocol [IEEE 802.1x1 v3.20.3]
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Network neighborhood shows only this computer,
    but I can map a folder from the other computer and transfer files back and forth.
    Cannot map any network service on the other computer.

    I hear you re: NWLink but I'd like to diagnose the problem then fix it.
    otoh, it's not working as it is.

    Mike

    Mike, May 1, 2006
  17. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Last night, before turning off the computers I ran the XP network wizard w/o changing any settings.
    The XP PC immediately recognized the W2K notebook. Network Neighborhood on both computers
    shows the other computer. File and printer sharing works. I'd really like to know what changed.

    Mike

    Mike, May 1, 2006
  18. Mike

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Last night, before turning off the computers I ran the XP network wizard
    > w/o changing any settings.
    > The XP PC immediately recognized the W2K notebook. Network
    > Neighborhood on both computers
    > shows the other computer. File and printer sharing works. I'd really
    > like to know what changed.

    The wizard is trash it's plain and simple. I never use it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 1, 2006
  19. Mike

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Any disadvatages to using netbeui?

    Well, put it back on the Win 2K machine's NIC and see if the Win 2K and
    XP machines will share resources with wireless involved.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 1, 2006
  20. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I've never liked it and this is the first time I seriuosly used it.
    Used out of desperation. It worked. . . .

    Mike

    "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
    message news:shv5g.2386$...

    Mike, May 1, 2006