XP Vs. Vista....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2009.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    From:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10159333-17.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
    ----------------------------------
    "In an interview with Computerworld UK, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had some
    interesting things to say about the enterprise and its desire to keep
    Windows XP instead of switching to Vista.

    "If you deploy a 4- or 5-year-old operating system today, most people will
    ask their boss why the heck they don't have the stuff they have at home,"
    Ballmer told the publication.

    Ballmer went on to say that it's incumbent upon the business world to make
    employees happy and comfortable and the best way to do that is to deploy
    Vista as soon as possible."
    ------------------------------------

    Wow! If that's the best reason MS can come up with when trying to get
    companies to upgrade to Vista you gotta wonder. Just because Joe Worker was
    forced to buy Vista with his home machine companies should deploy Vista as
    soon as possible? I'm sure Mr. Worker had XP for far longer and is quite
    comfortable with it, thanks Mr. Ballmer.

    -------------------------------------
    "According to market research firm Forrester, Windows Vista can be found on
    less than 10 percent of all the computers companies in North America and
    Europe are running (sic). Windows XP can be found on over 71 percent of
    enterprise computers. Ballmer wants that to change."
    -------------------------------------

    Of course Ballmer wants that to change. He wants to make more money and
    there are all those hardware companies he promised would make a killing from
    selling the higher-specced components needed to run Vista.

    It seems that Microsoft have made the same mistake that Intel made with the
    Pentium 4. People are no longer impressed by 'more' (be it GHz or
    eye-candy). They are increasingly informed and, especially in hard economic
    times, less likely to swallow what the marketers are spinning without doing
    a bit of research. Less is the new more in computing (witness the uptake of
    netbooks). The PC buying public are no longer the uninformed trend-following
    drones they once were. So MS try to rope them in by refusing to sell XP. If
    it wasn't so pathetic it'd be funny.

    So many companies with so few clues these days. The times they are
    a'changing and it's a grass-roots change. It seems the big corps are the
    last to 'get it'. Witness the xxIA's frantic efforts to cling to outdated
    business models. One has to wonder who's running these outfits and why they
    haven't been replaced with forward-thinkers.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2009

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    [snip]

    Sorry about the double post, Motz was playing up, said there was an error
    the first time I posted.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2009

  3. ~misfit~

    Guest

    On Feb 10, 11:39 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > From:http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10159333-17.html?part=rss&subj=news...
    > ----------------------------------
    > "In an interview with Computerworld UK, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had some
    > interesting things to say about the enterprise and its desire to keep
    > Windows XP instead of switching to Vista.
    >
    > "If you deploy a 4- or 5-year-old operating system today, most people will
    > ask their boss why the heck they don't have the stuff they have at home,"
    > Ballmer told the publication.

    and the boss should say, show me the business benefit.

    > Ballmer went on to say that it's incumbent upon the business world to make
    > employees happy and comfortable and the best way to do that is to deploy
    > Vista as soon as possible."

    A year ago I had a departmental IT manager insist we rollout Vista
    ASAPP because the customers expect it....what's holding that up right
    now is that the manager's own applications wont run on Vista so that
    department wont support Vista....so we cant rollout....

    Happy to go to Vista? he's joking considering the nightmare or re-
    learning how the new Office 2007 applications for one does things is a
    nightmare....

    > ------------------------------------
    >
    > Wow! If that's the best reason MS can come up with when trying to get
    > companies to upgrade to Vista you gotta wonder. Just because Joe Worker was
    > forced to buy Vista with his home machine companies should deploy Vista as
    > soon as possible? I'm sure Mr. Worker had XP for far longer and is quite
    > comfortable with it, thanks Mr. Ballmer.

    I virtualised my XP...I had to 3 apps didnt work on Vista.....

    > -------------------------------------
    > "According to market research firm Forrester, Windows Vista can be found on
    > less than 10 percent of all the computers companies in North America and
    > Europe are running (sic). Windows XP can be found on over 71 percent of
    > enterprise computers. Ballmer wants that to change."
    > -------------------------------------

    I bet its income for him....however even now its no where as solid as
    XP.

    > Of course Ballmer wants that to change. He wants to make more money and
    > there are all those hardware companies he promised would make a killing from
    > selling the higher-specced components needed to run Vista.
    >
    > It seems that Microsoft have made the same mistake that Intel made with the
    > Pentium 4. People are no longer impressed by 'more' (be it GHz or
    > eye-candy).

    The upgrade from Office 2003 to 2007 is driving me crazy...our limited
    (numbewrs) of tutors have only been trained/experienced on
    2003.....they have not been near 2007 and wont as the courses cost too
    much....

    They are increasingly informed and, especially in hard economic
    > times, less likely to swallow what the marketers are spinning without doing
    > a bit of research.

    Its not just Balmer/MS many 3rd partys are seeing the Vista upgrade as
    a reason to greatly hike their maintenance support agreements....some
    by 50% some by 100%....

    Less is the new more in computing (witness the uptake of
    > netbooks). The PC buying public are no longer the uninformed trend-following
    > drones they once were. So MS try to rope them in by refusing to sell XP. If
    > it wasn't so pathetic it'd be funny.
    >
    > So many companies with so few clues these days. The times they are
    > a'changing and it's a grass-roots change. It seems the big corps are the
    > last to 'get it'. Witness the xxIA's frantic efforts to cling to outdated
    > business models. One has to wonder who's running these outfits and why they
    > haven't been replaced with forward-thinkers.

    because its only profit today that matters....the entire share market
    is corrupt, it does not care about long term viability of a company
    its only the share price gain today so they can sell it now that
    matters....

    > Shaun.
    >
    > "Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
    > he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo.

    regards

    thing

    , Feb 10, 2009
  4. ~misfit~

    Guest

    On Feb 10, 3:24 pm, wrote:
    > > "If you deploy a 4- or 5-year-old operating system today, most people will
    > > ask their boss why the heck they don't have the stuff they have at home,"
    > > Ballmer told the publication.

    > and the boss should say, show me the business benefit.
    >
    > > Ballmer went on to say that it's incumbent upon the business world to make
    > > employees happy and comfortable and the best way to do that is to deploy
    > > Vista as soon as possible."

    > A year ago I had a departmental IT manager insist we rollout Vista
    > ASAPP because the customers expect it....what's holding that up right
    > now is that the manager's own applications wont run on Vista so that
    > department wont support Vista....so we cant rollout....
    >
    > Happy to go to Vista?  he's joking considering the nightmare or re-
    > learning how the new Office 2007 applications for one does things is a
    > nightmare....

    , Feb 10, 2009
  5. ~misfit~

    Squiggle Guest

    threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > because its only profit today that matters....the entire share market
    > is corrupt, it does not care about long term viability of a company
    > its only the share price gain today so they can sell it now that
    > matters....

    A share market is a reflection of those that invest in it. Get plenty of
    greenies to invest in a company then you have the power to make do
    whatever you wish. And avoid its products/services if you don't like it,
    they can't generally force you to hand over your money unless you chose
    to do business with them.

    Squigs (who is really posting just to see how borked the xnet news
    server really is)

    Squiggle, Feb 10, 2009