    Thank you for all constructive responses,
    Cheers
    Buck

    stj-m, Mar 10, 2008

  2. stj-m

    HLS Guest

    "stj-m" <> wrote in message news:1205139068.911227@ftpsrv1...
    > Hi all, I'm going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here and ask what
    > the relative advantages vs. disadvantages of BOTH Operating Systems XP and
    > Linux are, and why?
    >
    > Also, please give me a reason why I, as a home user with a single computer
    > (Intel 2.66GHz Dual Core CPU, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD) would want to change
    > from XP Home (as I have now) to Linux (as many seem to be frothing at the
    > bung over)?
    >
    > Thank you for all constructive responses,
    > Cheers
    > Buck

    I just bought an ASUS eee 8, which comes with Linux installed. In this
    embodiment,
    it boots very fast indeed (less than 15 seconds), is very intuitive, can
    create and work
    with files that are compatible with Microsoft Word, Excel, and others. I use
    this unit
    for business work, email, etc etc because it is small, very portable, and
    reliable.

    I wanted it to be free of Microsoft's controlling and manipulating systems.
    {I bought a
    new desktop that came with Vista (and cannot be downgraded). Many of my
    peripherals
    such as digital camera, printer, scanner, etc no longer worked under Vista,
    since no
    updated drivers were available (planful obsolescence, huh?)}

    Linux offers me a very stable and workable operating system, good
    compatibility, and
    relatively little virus susceptibility, and gives me all the software I need
    for business
    purposes.

    Clearly, games designed for Microsoft platforms will not work on Linux.

    You can, however, have dual boot systems and exploit the advantages of both.
    I have
    Ubontu Linux for this desk machine, and may eventually go over to it, since
    I am not
    a gamer.

    I have used Vista now for a number of months and still dont really like it,
    but it hasnt
    crashed for a while so the incentive to change is not as hot as before.

    HLS, Mar 10, 2008

  3. stj-m

    Baron Guest

    HLS wrote:

    > "stj-m" <> wrote in message news:1205139068.911227@ftpsrv1...
    >> Hi all, I'm going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here and ask
    >> what the relative advantages vs. disadvantages of BOTH Operating
    >> Systems XP and Linux are, and why?
    >>
    >> Also, please give me a reason why I, as a home user with a single
    >> computer (Intel 2.66GHz Dual Core CPU, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD) would want
    >> to change from XP Home (as I have now) to Linux (as many seem to be
    >> frothing at the bung over)?
    >>
    >> Thank you for all constructive responses,
    >> Cheers
    >> Buck

    I am and have been a Linux (Currently Open SuSE 10.2) user for about ten
    years. I have found nothing that I need Wins for at all ( I am not a
    Gamer) At the moment games are about the only thing that would need
    Wins.

    If you like mallware of all kinds and you are happy to be spied on, risk
    having your identity, bank accounts etc compromised then stick with
    Wins.

    At the end of the day, its down to you, your choice ! Thats what Linux
    and open source is about, your freedom to choose.

    > I just bought an ASUS eee 8, which comes with Linux installed. In
    > this embodiment,
    > it boots very fast indeed (less than 15 seconds), is very intuitive,
    > can create and work
    > with files that are compatible with Microsoft Word, Excel, and others.
    > I use this unit
    > for business work, email, etc etc because it is small, very portable,
    > and reliable.
    >
    > I wanted it to be free of Microsoft's controlling and manipulating
    > systems.
    > {I bought a
    > new desktop that came with Vista (and cannot be downgraded). Many of
    > my peripherals
    > such as digital camera, printer, scanner, etc no longer worked under
    > Vista, since no
    > updated drivers were available (planful obsolescence, huh?)}
    >
    > Linux offers me a very stable and workable operating system, good
    > compatibility, and
    > relatively little virus susceptibility, and gives me all the software
    > I need for business
    > purposes.
    >
    > Clearly, games designed for Microsoft platforms will not work on
    > Linux.
    >
    > You can, however, have dual boot systems and exploit the advantages of
    > both. I have
    > Ubontu Linux for this desk machine, and may eventually go over to it,
    > since I am not
    > a gamer.
    >
    > I have used Vista now for a number of months and still dont really
    > like it, but it hasnt
    > crashed for a while so the incentive to change is not as hot as
    > before.

    Good comments! Its a pity that you didn't use Linux to send this post.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 10, 2008
  4. stj-m

    roadriderob Guest

    On Mar 10, 4:21 pm, Baron <>
    wrote:
> [...]

    > > Linux offers me a very stable and workable operating system, good
    > > compatibility, and
    > > relatively little virus susceptibility, and gives me all the software
    > > I need for business
    > > purposes.

    > > Clearly, games designed for Microsoft platforms will not work on
    > > Linux.

    > > You can, however, have dual boot systems and exploit the advantages of
    > > both. I have
    > > Ubontu Linux for this desk machine, and may eventually go over to it,
    > > since I am not
    > > a gamer.

    > > I have used Vista now for a number of months and still dont really
    > > like it, but it hasnt
    > > crashed for a while so the incentive to change is not as hot as
    > > before.

    > Good comments! Its a pity that you didn't use Linux to send this post.

    I agree with the above pro Linux posts, I use Ubuntu Linux and its
    great, (fast, malware free, lots of add on software if and when needed
    etc.) can't believe I used to pay for Windows !

    roadriderob, Mar 10, 2008
  5. stj-m

    Brett Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:58:05 +1300, "stj-m" <> wrote:

    >Hi all, I'm going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here and ask what the relative advantages vs. disadvantages of BOTH
    >Operating Systems XP and Linux are, and why?

    I'm currently running WinXP Pro solely on two computers but from time to
    time I install the Linux Ubuntu as a dual boot with XP which then at
    startup gives me a choice of booting either Ubuntu or XP.

    I don't run Microsofts' Internet Explorer, Outlook Express nor do I use
    their so called firewall or other security features.
    I use Opera as my browser which is available for Windows or Linux and
    Eudora for email and Forte Agent for newsgroups with both programs able to
    be run under Linux. But I've uninstalled Ubuntu for now because I felt too
    restricted running the current Ubuntu version compared to XP Pro.

    >Also, please give me a reason why I, as a home user with a single computer (Intel 2.66GHz Dual Core CPU, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD) would
    >want to change from XP Home (as I have now) to Linux (as many seem to be frothing at the bung over)?

    A lot will depend on what Windows programs you currently run, if that
    program will run under Linux or whether you can find a comparable program
    to run under Linux.

    I suggest you start reading some of the Linux newsgroups particularly some
    that discuss Ubuntu. You can purchase a Ubuntu CD online for a couple of $$
    and the CD can create Linux partitions and install a Ubuntu/XP Home dual
    boot.
    --

    Brett Greene.

    Brett, Mar 11, 2008
  6. stj-m

    Paul Guest

    stj-m wrote:
    > Hi all, I'm going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here and ask what the relative advantages vs. disadvantages of BOTH
    > Operating Systems XP and Linux are, and why?
    >
    > Also, please give me a reason why I, as a home user with a single computer (Intel 2.66GHz Dual Core CPU, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD) would
    > want to change from XP Home (as I have now) to Linux (as many seem to be frothing at the bung over)?
    >
    > Thank you for all constructive responses,
    > Cheers
    > Buck

    I think you're missing the point.

    No matter what the pros and cons of Linux are, you can play with
    it for free. And make up your own mind. All it'll cost you,
    is a blank CD, and some download time.

    If you download a Knoppix or Ubuntu Linux LiveCD, those don't even
    need to be installed to the hard drive. You can boot the CD
    directly, and have an instant desktop experience. A click of a
    button, and you can be playing with OpenOffice, or surfing
    with a (not the latest release) of Firefox.

    So you can have both OSes, Windows on your hard drive, and
    Linux on a CD, for those occasions when you want to see what
    all the fuss is about.

    A couple of the design decisions in Linux, mean I cannot
    take it seriously as an OS. But that should not stop you
    or a lot of people, from using it.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 11, 2008
  7. stj-m

    dullpain Guest

    If you are a propeller head who enjoys endless tinkering with a command line
    OS, have limited text based uses for your computer, in particular very
    limited imaging/video/audio processing needs then Linux is for you.
    If you need to use your computer for most businesses, if you pursue any kind
    of serious image processing (Gimp does not count as "serious" program),
    video or audio editing, hence if you need real world productivity Linux is
    not for you.
    It is very easy to set up Linux in a dual or multi boot system if you feel
    the need to tinker. Ubuntu and other distros install easily. Figuring out
    how to install drivers, programs and do anything other than surf the web is
    the real problem most users have with Linux. I cannot count the number of
    times I have installed and deleted versions of Linux because it is utterly
    useless to me for actual work.

    dullpain, Mar 11, 2008
  8. stj-m

    Guest

    On 10 Mar, 08:58, "stj-m" <> wrote:
    > Hi all, I'm going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here and ask what the relative advantages vs. disadvantages of BOTH
    > Operating Systems XP and Linux are, and why?
    >
    > Also, please give me a reason why I, as a home user with a single computer (Intel 2.66GHz Dual Core CPU, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD) would
    > want to change from XP Home (as I have now) to Linux (as many seem to be frothing at the bung over)?
    >
    > Thank you for all constructive responses,
    > Cheers
    > Buck

    If you're able to use it at least as efficiently as you use
    windows(and if it can be used as efficiently), then I would say that
    it is better to use something that is free, than to acquire something
    that is not.

    I am defining efficient subjectively. You know what efficient use is.

    You may still need to know windows though.. You could have a few
    computers with different OSs. Or one with a few.

    , Mar 11, 2008
  9. stj-m

    Baron Guest

    dullpain wrote:

    > If you are a propeller head who enjoys endless tinkering with a
    > command line OS, have limited text based uses for your computer, in
    > particular very limited imaging/video/audio processing needs then
    > Linux is for you.

    Its command line only if that is the way you want to use Linux ! There
    are lots of wonderful graphical interfaces you can use. The most
    popular being KDE and Gnome !

    > If you need to use your computer for most
    > businesses, if you pursue any kind of serious image processing (Gimp
    > does not count as "serious" program), video or audio editing, hence if
    > you need real world productivity Linux is not for you.

    As far as real world productivity is concerned you are still in the dark
    ages. Where I come from around 70% of businesses don't use Wins for
    anything. However the reverse is true for domestic users.

    > It is very easy to set up Linux in a dual or multi boot system if you
    > feel the need to tinker. Ubuntu and other distros install easily.

    I agree they do ! Certainly with less hassle than other more common
    operating systems.

    > Figuring out how to install drivers, programs and do anything other
    > than surf the web is the real problem most users have with Linux. I
    > cannot count the number of times I have installed and deleted versions
    > of Linux because it is utterly useless to me for actual work.

    I am sorry to hear that you are unable to use Linux ! It is easier to
    stick with what you know. Thats why Billy is so rich.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 11, 2008
  10. stj-m

    HLS Guest

    <> wrote in message news:2e636333-a4e2-4749-ad98-
    > If you're able to use it at least as efficiently as you use
    > windows(and if it can be used as efficiently), then I would say that
    > it is better to use something that is free, than to acquire something
    > that is not.
    >
    > I am defining efficient subjectively. You know what efficient use is.

    Well, efficient is when the computer does what you want it to do and does
    it quickly. All other numbers and indices are BS.

    For me, Linux does everything I could possibly want.

    MS based games are not included. If you are a gamer, then you should
    probably find something else to play with.

    HLS, Mar 12, 2008
  11. stj-m

    Guest

    On 12 Mar, 00:23, "HLS" <> wrote:
    <snip>
    > MS based games are not included.  If you are a gamer, then you should
    > probably find something else to play with.

    LMAO. Nice one. True on both levels.

    , Mar 12, 2008