XP & VISTA Printer problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by PAR, Jan 17, 2009.

  1. PAR

    PAR Guest

    I have 2 laptops. One running XP & one running vista. I have a cannon mp
    500 printer. Both laptops can print to the printer if they are directly
    connected to the printer. The CD which came with the printer was used to
    install the printer on the XP machine, The VISTA machine would not load the
    printer driver from the CD. The error was something about 32 bit and 64 bit.
    But was able to load it from the find hardware wizard.

    I think this has something to do with the problem sharing the printer. The
    VISTA machine is "Anchored" at a work station and has the printer attached.
    When I try to add the printer to the XP laptop, I get the error message:

    The server for the 'Canon Inkjet MP500 Series' printer does not have the
    correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper
    driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network
    administrator or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer
    driver.

    So I click ok and have searched just about every folder to find th correct
    ..inf file, but I always get a message saying the correct driver is not in the
    folder.

    Do I need to put the Vista Driver on the XP machine, or the XP driver on the
    Vista machine?

    I found a spot on the Vista machine to add drivers for other versions of
    windows, but can't find drivers when asked to browse.
    PAR, Jan 17, 2009

  2. PAR

    Alister Guest

    On Jan 17, 9:35 pm, PAR <> wrote:
    > I have 2 laptops.  One running XP & one running vista.  I have a cannon mp
    > 500 printer.  Both laptops can print to the printer if they are directly
    > connected to the printer.  The CD which came with the printer was used to
    > install the printer on the XP machine,  The VISTA machine would not load the
    > printer driver from the CD.  The error was something about 32 bit and 64 bit.
    >  But was able to load it from the find hardware wizard.
    >
    > I think this has something to do with the problem sharing the printer.  The
    > VISTA machine is "Anchored" at a work station and has the printer attached.
    > When I try to add the printer to the XP laptop, I get the error message:
    >
    > The server for the 'Canon Inkjet MP500 Series' printer does not have the
    > correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper
    > driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network
    > administrator or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer
    > driver.
    >
    > So I click ok and have searched just about  every folder to find th correct
    > .inf file, but I always get a message saying the correct driver is not in the
    > folder.
    >
    > Do I need to put the Vista Driver on the XP machine, or the XP driver on the
    > Vista machine?
    >
    > I found a spot on the Vista machine to add drivers for other versions of
    > windows, but can't find drivers when asked to browse.

    Yep, you need to install the XP driver on the Vista machine in the
    place that you found for other versions of windows. Use the CD you
    installed the XP drivers from.

    Alister
    Alister, Jan 17, 2009