    What am i doing wrong?? How can i stop these messenger pop up spamming??
    at my last nerve...

    thanks in anticipation.

    The niner nation, Jul 14, 2003

  2. The niner nation

    Simeon Guest

    "The niner nation" <> wrote in
    message news:betqe3$thp$...
    > Hi..I have upgraded from win98 to xP and although i like Xp, it is now
    > really getting on my nerves.
    > I asked in a thread earlier how to totally REMOVE windows messenger from

    Xp,
    > and am not sure if I have successfully managed to do this..I have no idea

    if
    > it is still running in the background, and I am also getting tons of pop

    up
    > ads ( sourced by messenger) on my desktop.
    > What am i doing wrong?? How can i stop these messenger pop up spamming??
    > at my last nerve...
    >
    > thanks in anticipation.

    Click on Start, Run, type services.msc and click OK. Find messenger and
    disable it, then restart.

    --
    Simeon

    Simeon, Jul 14, 2003

  3. The niner nation

    Darthux Guest

    good response, i disabled my messanger service and i no longer recieve the
    popups that look like net send commands. however for web based popups, you
    will more than likely need a 3rd party program

    -Darthux

    Darthux, Jul 14, 2003
  4. The niner nation

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:42:43 +0100, The niner nation wrote:

    >Hi..I have upgraded from win98 to xP and although i like Xp, it is now
    >really getting on my nerves.
    >I asked in a thread earlier how to totally REMOVE windows messenger from Xp,
    >and am not sure if I have successfully managed to do this..I have no idea if
    >it is still running in the background, and I am also getting tons of pop up
    >ads ( sourced by messenger) on my desktop.
    >What am i doing wrong?? How can i stop these messenger pop up spamming??
    >at my last nerve...
    >
    >thanks in anticipation.

    http://www.its.caltech.edu/its/security/users/windows_messenger.shtml

    Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -
    massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
    source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
    it. --spaf (1992)

    Mara, Jul 14, 2003
  5. The niner nation

    Rick Guest

    Go to control panel, administrative tools, services, scroll down to
    messenger. Right click on it, properties, stop it then disable it. It wont
    bother you again.

    Rick, Jul 15, 2003
  6. The niner nation

    MrToad Guest

    rifleman wrote:
    > In article <qvGQa.827$2.webusenet.com>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Go to control panel, administrative tools, services, scroll down to
    >>messenger. Right click on it, properties, stop it then disable it. It wont
    >>bother you again.
    >>

    > This only removes the SYMPTOMS - it doesn't remove the CAUSE - ie
    > NETBIOS ports wide open. Use a firewall.

    No, actually this WILL stop the cause of NetSend messages, [disabling
    the messenger service], open ports are different matter altogether.
    But I agree, use a firewall.

    MrToad

    MrToad, Jul 15, 2003
  7. The niner nation

    rifleman Guest

    In article <>, nospam@nospam says...
    > rifleman wrote:
    > > In article <qvGQa.827$2.webusenet.com>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > >>Go to control panel, administrative tools, services, scroll down to
    > >>messenger. Right click on it, properties, stop it then disable it. It wont
    > >>bother you again.
    > >>

    > > This only removes the SYMPTOMS - it doesn't remove the CAUSE - ie
    > > NETBIOS ports wide open. Use a firewall.

    > No, actually this WILL stop the cause of NetSend messages, [disabling
    > the messenger service], open ports are different matter altogether.
    > But I agree, use a firewall.
    >
    > MrToad

    Ahh, No, disabling messenger does NOT stop the cause of messenger pop-
    ups. Messenger spam is allowed into the machine via open NETBIOS ports.
    the ONLY cure for this is a firewall. The pop-ups may disappear if
    messenger is disabled, but the ports are still vulnerable.
    --
    (I may be wrong...I usually am....)
    Google is your Friend

    rifleman, Jul 15, 2003
  8. The niner nation

    MrToad Guest

    rifleman wrote:
    > In article <>, nospam@nospam says...
    >
    >>rifleman wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <qvGQa.827$2.webusenet.com>,
    >>> says...

    >>>This only removes the SYMPTOMS - it doesn't remove the CAUSE - ie
    >>>NETBIOS ports wide open. Use a firewall.

    >>No, actually this WILL stop the cause of NetSend messages, [disabling
    >>the messenger service], open ports are different matter altogether.
    >>But I agree, use a firewall.
    >>
    >>MrToad
    >>

    > Ahh, No, disabling messenger does NOT stop the cause of messenger pop-
    > ups. Messenger spam is allowed into the machine via open NETBIOS ports.
    > the ONLY cure for this is a firewall. The pop-ups may disappear if
    > messenger is disabled, but the ports are still vulnerable.

    Apples=Oranges

    MrToad

    MrToad, Jul 15, 2003