XP user accounts

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kevin welsh, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. kevin welsh

    kevin welsh Guest

    Hi,

    I have two limited user accounts & my own admistrator account on my PC,
    now the limited account can't use the internet I haven't changed anything,
    the only thing which has happened is the system crashed & I had to use
    system restore to get it back on, the net works fine on my account but not
    on the two kids.

    I'm using Xp with service pack 2, Norton internet security & NTL 300k
    broadband , I have checked Norton everything seems fine there, its got me
    foxed !!.

    Can you help !.

    Thanks in advanced

    Kev

    kevin welsh, Feb 16, 2005

  2. kevin welsh

    Liz Guest

    "kevin welsh" wrote:

    > I have two limited user accounts & my own admistrator account on my PC,
    > now the limited account can't use the internet I haven't changed anything,
    > the only thing which has happened is the system crashed & I had to use
    > system restore to get it back on, the net works fine on my account but not
    > on the two kids.

    How to Keep RAS Connections Active After Logging Off
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=158909

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/tips/theriot1.mspx

    Liz, Feb 17, 2005

  3. kevin welsh

    Barry Guest

    I don't think anything is wrong with your computer, when I switched my kids
    account to limited they couldn't use the internet either, my account was a
    administrator account, I had know problems, I switched my kids back to
    administrator account they could get connected to the internet again, If you
    ever fine out how to solve that problem please post it,,

    Barry, Feb 17, 2005
  4. kevin welsh

    Terry Hollis Guest

    I had the same problem and it was fixed when I activated the guest account,
    never had the problem since.

    --
    Regards - Terry Hollis, Auckland, New Zealand

    replace "nospam" with "terry.hollis" to reply

    Terry Hollis, Feb 17, 2005
  5. kevin welsh

    tutsi Guest

    Check this as some times things get over write for no known reason.
    When you click on your... ISP icon on the desktop a box should
    pop up ....in that box there is an option to connect to the internet
    the box options are anyone who use this comp OR me only......I think
    on the limited accounts the ME ONLY box is highglited. This has
    happen on my machine more than once. Good luck.

    tutsi, Feb 17, 2005
  6. kevin welsh

    JIM Guest

    > I have two limited user accounts & my own admistrator account on my PC,
    > now the limited account can't use the internet I haven't changed
    > anything,

    I think that the easiest solution is to delete the misbehaving account from
    Administrator, then open it anew.

    Jim

    JIM, Feb 17, 2005
  7. kevin welsh

    atmtsu

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    what i did

    I have windows media center edition 2005 service pack 2 with several admin. accts & 2 limited user accts....all i did was share my printer on the LAN network and for some reason only ONE of the limited accts stop having internet access (only thru Internet explorer though...opera, firefox, yahoo messenger, netscape-- they all connected to the internet). All I did was open IE, go to tools-->internet options-->connections-->lan settings-->and I checked the box to automatically detect settings under automatic configuration and it worked fine...for whatever reason, "use a proxy server for your LAN" was selected...hope this helps...

    atmtsu, Jul 30, 2006