    Also, I have seen mentioned somewhere here, for XP, a programme for
    backing up drivers. Anyone know what it is? I suspect he may be
    better to load fresh drivers in the long run.
    GraB, Oct 10, 2005

  2. GraB

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:50:38 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >A friend of mine, who has no end of trouble with his XP box, at my
    >suggestion reinstalled his XP from a newer SP2 version disc, replacing
    >a pre-SP1 disc, but unfortunately, I just found out, just installed
    >over the top, so is still riddled with spyware and everything else.
    >
    >I am trying to coax him into doing a fresh install but he is concerned
    >at having to get all the updates again. I understand there are a few
    >sites that do a "all-rolled-into-one" updater file. Any
    >recommendations?
    >
    >Also, I have seen mentioned somewhere here, for XP, a programme for
    >backing up drivers. Anyone know what it is? I suspect he may be
    >better to load fresh drivers in the long run.

    You do NOT BACK UP DRIVERS this I a Big NO as they can be infected and also
    Old..
    XP, Oct 10, 2005

  3. On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:50:38 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >Also, I have seen mentioned somewhere here, for XP, a programme for
    >backing up drivers. Anyone know what it is? I suspect he may be
    >better to load fresh drivers in the long run.

    It backs up your personal settings & restores your machine as-was
    brace yourself for a roger attack...
    John in Surrey, Oct 10, 2005
  4. GraB

    KiwiBrian Guest

    Autopatcher

    KiwiBrian, Oct 10, 2005
  5. GraB

    mario Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > A friend of mine, who has no end of trouble with his XP box, at my
    > suggestion reinstalled his XP from a newer SP2 version disc, replacing
    > a pre-SP1 disc, but unfortunately, I just found out, just installed
    > over the top, so is still riddled with spyware and everything else.
    >
    > I am trying to coax him into doing a fresh install but he is concerned
    > at having to get all the updates again. I understand there are a few
    > sites that do a "all-rolled-into-one" updater file. Any
    > recommendations?
    >
    > Also, I have seen mentioned somewhere here, for XP, a programme for
    > backing up drivers. Anyone know what it is? I suspect he may be
    > better to load fresh drivers in the long run.

    Autopatcher XP (about 155MB) works a charm
    (http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=334257).
    I use the above and it has always worked very well for me.

    This is what I would do.
    Save Autopatcher and all the drivers I need on to a rewritable cd. This
    way new versions of XP and drivers can be keep.
    This way each time you need to do a reinstall, everything you need is handy.

    Of course doing an image of your Windows partition (after a clean
    install with an update) is much better and quicker.

    mario
    mario, Oct 10, 2005
  6. GraB

    bambam Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > Also, I have seen mentioned somewhere here, for XP, a programme for
    > backing up drivers. Anyone know what it is? I suspect he may be
    > better to load fresh drivers in the long run.

    WinDriversBackup Personal Edition
    Company: Jermar Software Corp Author: --
    (Freeware) (free for personal use/non-commercial use) NOTES: last
    Freeware version
    Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP
    Languages: English
    system driver files. Use this program to find and identify all drivers or
    optionally limit it to non-Microsoft drivers and then copy them to a
    backup directory of your choice. You can choose to copy all or only
    selected drivers.

    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_programs.php#0845-PW
    bambam, Oct 11, 2005
  7. John in Surrey wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:50:38 +1300, GraB <> wrote:
    >

    >>Also, I have seen mentioned somewhere here, for XP, a programme for
    >>backing up drivers. Anyone know what it is? I suspect he may be
    >>better to load fresh drivers in the long run.

    > It backs up your personal settings & restores your machine as-was
    > brace yourself for a roger attack...

    I have to agree with w***r on this. Copying any code from a compromised
    system on the assumption that the wily perpetrators wouldn't have thought
    of subverting that particular system component is just ... asking for the
    big conical cap with the "D" on it.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2005
  8. GraB

    Phstpok Guest

    GraB stubbed out the damp squib on 11/10/2005 12:50 a.m.and tried to
    bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    > A friend of mine, who has no end of trouble with his XP box, at my
    > suggestion reinstalled his XP from a newer SP2 version disc, replacing
    > a pre-SP1 disc, but unfortunately, I just found out, just installed
    > over the top, so is still riddled with spyware and everything else.
    >
    > I am trying to coax him into doing a fresh install but he is concerned
    > at having to get all the updates again. I understand there are a few
    > sites that do a "all-rolled-into-one" updater file. Any
    > recommendations?
    >
    > Also, I have seen mentioned somewhere here, for XP, a programme for
    > backing up drivers. Anyone know what it is? I suspect he may be
    > better to load fresh drivers in the long run.

    Driver Collector

    Phstpok, the friendly alien
    Phstpok, Oct 11, 2005