    with exactly the same problem as above.
    Is it just me - or is there a problem with the latest automatic updates?
    Have run AV, Adaware, and Spybot S&D - nothing detected.

    frederick, Oct 16, 2005

  2. Its possible you've hit the issue, with changed Access Control Lists on
    %windir%\registration, described at
    http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2005/10/14/412537.aspx

    in this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=909444

    Call into Microsoft Services on 0800 800 004 who will be able to offer
    you free technical support on this issue.

    If you want to try yourself, here are the steps from that KB:

    To resolve this problem, restore the default permissions to the COM+
    catalog. To do this, follow these steps:1. In the %windir%/registration
    folder, make sure that the Everyone group has READ permissions.
    2. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the SYSTEM
    account has FULL CONTROL permissions.
    3. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the
    Administrators group has FULL CONTROL permissions.
    4. In the advanced security properties of the .clb files in the
    %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Inherit from parent
    the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with
    entries explicitly defined here option is selected.
    5. Make sure that the Everyone group has one of the following
    permissions:· Traverse permissions ("List Folder Contents") on
    all parent directories, including %systemdrive%, %windir%, and
    %windir%\registration
    · The Bypass Traverse Checking permission

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 17, 2005

  3. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Its possible you've hit the issue, with changed Access Control Lists on
    > %windir%\registration, described at
    > http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2005/10/14/412537.aspx
    >
    > in this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=909444
    >
    > Call into Microsoft Services on 0800 800 004 who will be able to offer
    > you free technical support on this issue.
    >
    > If you want to try yourself, here are the steps from that KB:
    >
    > To resolve this problem, restore the default permissions to the COM+
    > catalog. To do this, follow these steps:1. In the %windir%/registration
    > folder, make sure that the Everyone group has READ permissions.
    > 2. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the SYSTEM
    > account has FULL CONTROL permissions.
    > 3. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the
    > Administrators group has FULL CONTROL permissions.
    > 4. In the advanced security properties of the .clb files in the
    > %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Inherit from parent
    > the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with
    > entries explicitly defined here option is selected.
    > 5. Make sure that the Everyone group has one of the following
    > permissions:· Traverse permissions ("List Folder Contents") on
    > all parent directories, including %systemdrive%, %windir%, and
    > %windir%\registration
    > · The Bypass Traverse Checking permission
    >

    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    Thanks Nathan,

    But this is XP home. I posted a previous (probably related) problem a
    few weeks ago about file permissions problems that *probably* ensued
    after difficulties with an XP install on this machine. That problem has
    (or I thought it had) been resolved.

    It is a little crazy IMO that there is not a tool within XP HE that
    allows changing file permissions a la XP Pro "security" tab on the file
    properties dialog. (using shrpubw - won't do the trick) After all - if I
    understand correctly, a few lines of code have been "deleted" on the
    "budget" home edition. While setting file permissions *might* be only
    one of many issues for which users may wish to pay a premium for the Pro
    edition, not having access to setting file permissions when I have
    encountered such problems is a total pain in the neck.

    I need to use this PC - I have other things that I need to do. However,
    thanks - I will call the 0800 number and see what they can offer.

    frederick, Oct 17, 2005
  4. frederick

    Not Dave Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:15:15 +1300, frederick <> growled
    these words from under a rock:

    >Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Nathan
    >>

    >Thanks Nathan,
    >
    >But this is XP home. I posted a previous (probably related) problem a
    >few weeks ago about file permissions problems that *probably* ensued
    >after difficulties with an XP install on this machine. That problem has
    >(or I thought it had) been resolved.
    >
    >It is a little crazy IMO that there is not a tool within XP HE that
    >allows changing file permissions a la XP Pro "security" tab on the file
    >properties dialog. (using shrpubw - won't do the trick) After all - if I
    >understand correctly, a few lines of code have been "deleted" on the
    >"budget" home edition. While setting file permissions *might* be only
    >one of many issues for which users may wish to pay a premium for the Pro
    >edition, not having access to setting file permissions when I have
    >encountered such problems is a total pain in the neck.
    >
    >I need to use this PC - I have other things that I need to do. However,
    >thanks - I will call the 0800 number and see what they can offer.

    You could reboot in Safe Mode to access the proper file permission
    settings.

    Not Dave, Oct 17, 2005
  5. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Not Dave wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:15:15 +1300, frederick <> growled
    > these words from under a rock:
    >

    >>Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>
    >>>Cheers
    >>>Nathan
    >>>

    >>Thanks Nathan,
    >>
    >>But this is XP home. I posted a previous (probably related) problem a
    >>few weeks ago about file permissions problems that *probably* ensued
    >>after difficulties with an XP install on this machine. That problem has
    >>(or I thought it had) been resolved.
    >>
    >>It is a little crazy IMO that there is not a tool within XP HE that
    >>allows changing file permissions a la XP Pro "security" tab on the file
    >>properties dialog. (using shrpubw - won't do the trick) After all - if I
    >>understand correctly, a few lines of code have been "deleted" on the
    >>"budget" home edition. While setting file permissions *might* be only
    >>one of many issues for which users may wish to pay a premium for the Pro
    >>edition, not having access to setting file permissions when I have
    >>encountered such problems is a total pain in the neck.
    >>
    >>I need to use this PC - I have other things that I need to do. However,
    >>thanks - I will call the 0800 number and see what they can offer.

    > You could reboot in Safe Mode to access the proper file permission
    > settings.

    It wouldn't boot into safe mode with the update installed. Rolled back
    and permissions set in safe mode, but other problems when the update
    reinstalled. Could have blocked the update from installing - but
    something else would have broken in future for sure. This was a can of
    worms resulting from an install of XP that wouldn't boot properly after
    (possibly incorrect) video drivers were installed and couldn't be
    uninstalled (no uninstall, system restore wouldn't load, removing device
    drivers manually didn't resolve it) I should have formatted and started
    again then. I have done so now.

    frederick, Oct 17, 2005
  6. frederick

    Guest

    I would appreciate someone explaining to one who does not normally mess
    with the registry or COM+ specifically how to make the changes
    described in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=909444. In other words,
    how do I find the "%windir%\registration" folder to make the 5 changes
    to reset the permissions back to default?

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Its possible you've hit the issue, with changed Access Control Lists on
    > %windir%\registration, described at
    > http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2005/10/14/412537.aspx
    >
    > in this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=909444
    >
    > Call into Microsoft Services on 0800 800 004 who will be able to offer
    > you free technical support on this issue.
    >
    > If you want to try yourself, here are the steps from that KB:
    >
    > To resolve this problem, restore the default permissions to the COM+
    > catalog. To do this, follow these steps:1. In the %windir%/registration
    > folder, make sure that the Everyone group has READ permissions.
    > 2. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the SYSTEM
    > account has FULL CONTROL permissions.
    > 3. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the
    > Administrators group has FULL CONTROL permissions.
    > 4. In the advanced security properties of the .clb files in the
    > %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Inherit from parent
    > the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with
    > entries explicitly defined here option is selected.
    > 5. Make sure that the Everyone group has one of the following
    > permissions:· Traverse permissions ("List Folder Contents") on
    > all parent directories, including %systemdrive%, %windir%, and
    > %windir%\registration
    > · The Bypass Traverse Checking permission
    >

    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    , Oct 18, 2005
  7. wrote:
    > I would appreciate someone explaining to one who does not normally mess
    > with the registry or COM+ specifically how to make the changes
    > described in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=909444. In other words,
    > how do I find the "%windir%\registration" folder to make the 5 changes
    > to reset the permissions back to default?

    Start, run, %windir%\registration
    Right click properties, security in the open Explorer window

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 18, 2005
  8. frederick

    Not Dave Guest

    On 17 Oct 2005 18:46:38 -0700, growled these
    words from under a rock:

    >I would appreciate someone explaining to one who does not normally mess
    >with the registry or COM+ specifically how to make the changes
    >described in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D909444. In other words,
    >how do I find the "%windir%\registration" folder to make the 5 changes
    >to reset the permissions back to default?

    Take it to a computer shop.

    Not Dave, Oct 18, 2005
  9. frederick

    Guest

    Thanks Nathan, but in Windows XP Pro (at least on my PC) there is no
    security tab in the %windir%\registration properties, thus no access to
    permissions settings at that location. I also have a PC running Windows
    2000 and I do find the security tab and permissions settings on that
    one. The problem I am having with permissions is on the PC running
    Windows XP. So where are these registration permissions settings
    accessible in XP?

    Thanks again for your help.

    wrote:
    > I would appreciate someone explaining to one who does not normally mess
    > with the registry or COM+ specifically how to make the changes
    > described in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=909444. In other words,
    > how do I find the "%windir%\registration" folder to make the 5 changes
    > to reset the permissions back to default?
    >
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > > Its possible you've hit the issue, with changed Access Control Lists on
    > > %windir%\registration, described at
    > > http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2005/10/14/412537.aspx
    > >
    > > in this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=909444
    > >
    > > Call into Microsoft Services on 0800 800 004 who will be able to offer
    > > you free technical support on this issue.
    > >
    > > If you want to try yourself, here are the steps from that KB:
    > >
    > > To resolve this problem, restore the default permissions to the COM+
    > > catalog. To do this, follow these steps:1. In the %windir%/registration
    > > folder, make sure that the Everyone group has READ permissions.
    > > 2. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the SYSTEM
    > > account has FULL CONTROL permissions.
    > > 3. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the
    > > Administrators group has FULL CONTROL permissions.
    > > 4. In the advanced security properties of the .clb files in the
    > > %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Inherit from parent
    > > the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with
    > > entries explicitly defined here option is selected.
    > > 5. Make sure that the Everyone group has one of the following
    > > permissions:· Traverse permissions ("List Folder Contents") on
    > > all parent directories, including %systemdrive%, %windir%, and
    > > %windir%\registration
    > > · The Bypass Traverse Checking permission
    > >

    > > Cheers
    > > Nathan

    , Oct 19, 2005
  10. frederick wrote:
    > After installing latest XP (Home) automatic updates last night - on
    > reboot this morning my PC my firewall was disabled, virus checker turned
    > off, and network connections disabled. No time to check why - so did a
    > system restore - all okay. Automatic updates reinstalled this morning
    > with exactly the same problem as above.
    > Is it just me - or is there a problem with the latest automatic updates?
    > Have run AV, Adaware, and Spybot S&D - nothing detected.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/17/ms_patch_glitch/

    Glitch afflicts critical MS patch
    Look before you leap
    By John Leyden
    Published Monday 17th October 2005 15:33 GMT

    Microsoft has warned enterprises of glitches involving a security update issued last week. A patch designed to fix a flaw in Windows
    middleware components (MS05-051.mspx) creates system instability in environments with modified Access Control List (ACL) settings.

    In a statement, Microsoft said it is "aware of reports of isolated issues after deployment with Microsoft Security Bulletin
    MS05-051. We are working with a limited number of affected customers to help resolve these issues". It's unclear how many users are
    affected by the glitch. Problems arising from the update can range from leaving users unable to log on after the patch is applied to
    a blank screen after the update. But not applying the update leaves systems vulnerable to a critical security glitch that security
    firms warn is ripe for exploitation by an internet worm.

    That leaves sys admins damned if they don't and (possibly) screwed if they do and in an unenviable position where extra testing
    would seem to be the only sensible approach. ®

    Mark Robinson, Oct 19, 2005
  11. On 18 Oct 2005 18:01:41 -0700, wrote:

    >Thanks Nathan, but in Windows XP Pro (at least on my PC) there is no
    >security tab in the %windir%\registration properties, thus no access to
    >permissions settings at that location.

    The security tab will show up if you go into the Tools menu, select
    Folder Options, on the View Tab, last entry in the Advanced Settings
    list 'Use simple file sharing', if you un-tick this you will get
    Sharing & Security tabs rather than the basic XP one. :)

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 19, 2005
  12. frederick

    Guest

    my problem is not even the security tab i can't log on to windows after
    the
    update not even in to safe mode with command prompt.
    I have a backup hard disk that enable me the option to got to that
    folder
    but i think if i change the setting they are the setting of backup
    system
    not the updated one, so i'm realy lost
    any ideas how to restore the system or uninstall the update?

    , Oct 21, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    Not Dave <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I would appreciate someone explaining to one who does not normally mess
    >>with the registry or COM+ specifically how to make the changes
    >>described in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=909444. In other words,
    >>how do I find the "%windir%\registration" folder to make the 5 changes
    >>to reset the permissions back to default?

    >Take it to a computer shop.

    It is very telling of the widespread fundamental security flaws in the
    system, is it not, when even the vendor's own attempts at patching the
    problems end up causing even worse problems of their own?

    And they wonder why we call it "Dimdows" ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2005
  14. frederick

    Impossible Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > my problem is not even the security tab i can't log on to windows
    > after
    > the
    > update not even in to safe mode with command prompt.
    > I have a backup hard disk that enable me the option to got to that
    > folder
    > but i think if i change the setting they are the setting of backup
    > system
    > not the updated one, so i'm realy lost
    > any ideas how to restore the system or uninstall the update?

    Control Panel...Add or remove programs

    Make sure that "show updates" is checked, then select the XP update
    you want to uninstall.

    Impossible, Nov 1, 2005