    Did a system restore and all is OK. But what in blazes caused a decently
    fast computer to turn into a slug. Most Windows updates (well, some) are
    actually beneficial. What's different with this one?
    Goofy_56_096, Jan 10, 2005

  2. "Goofy_56_096" <> wrote in message
    news:%7AEd.3146$F97.3087@trnddc06...
    > Downloaded the latest XP update on my daughters laptop (Dell
    > 1150). Turned
    > it into slug. Took almost 5 mins to boot, had to search for all
    > icons, etc.
    > Did a system restore and all is OK. But what in blazes caused a
    > decently
    > fast computer to turn into a slug. Most Windows updates (well,
    > some) are
    > actually beneficial. What's different with this one?

    Bill sent me a free update of SP2 and I haven't had a problem
    since.
    Jackthe Ripper, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Goofy_56_096

    Jerry G. Guest

    Check for any adware and spyware programs. Download Adaware, and Spybot to
    test for these. For Spywares, there is a free one that comes with the Yahoo
    Tool Bar. Apparently I hear the Yahoo one is very good.

    I had a similar problem to yours with a computer. It turned out that there
    was a spyware that was causing the machine to not properly update. I cannot
    recall the name that was reported. After fixing it with the scan software,
    the computer was okay since then.

    I would not be able to tell you any other details, or guarantee that your
    machine will work out the same. You would have to investigate all of this.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Jan 11, 2005