XP under VMware question - (Ubuntu)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Feb 28, 2008.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.

    I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
    often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
    happening.

    The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
    ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.

    Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.

    I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.

    And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
    and she reactivated it for me.

    Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Feb 28, 2008

  2. Lodi

    Malcolm Guest

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:38:48 +0100 (CET)
    Lodi <> wrote:

    > Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
    >
    > I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky.
    > And often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
    > happening.
    >
    > The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with
    > 1GB ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
    >
    > Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
    >
    > I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over
    > appearance.
    >
    > And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in
    > India and she reactivated it for me.
    >
    > Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Hi
    I'm using workstation 5.5 but only use 256MB for the XP Pro virtual
    machine and it runs fine. 768MB seems a bit excessive to me, reduce it
    as you are probably eating into your swap on the host machine.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp

    Malcolm, Feb 28, 2008

  3. Lodi

    Bobs Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
    >
    > I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
    > often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
    > happening.
    >
    > The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
    > ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.

    That's too much man. Half it.

    Bobs, Feb 28, 2008
  4. Lodi

    Murray Symon Guest

    Lodi wrote:

    > Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
    >
    > I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
    > often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
    > happening.
    >
    > The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
    > ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
    >
    > Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
    >
    > I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
    >
    > And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
    > and she reactivated it for me.
    >
    > Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    The last chapter of the manual has optimisation hints for guest O/S's.
    The main one is always to install VMware Tools (it's in the 'VM' menu).
    This installs an optimised video driver (among other things) into the
    guest O/S. I see another one for XP is to run it in full-screen mode.

    hth
    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Feb 28, 2008
  5. On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:38:48 +0100 (CET), Lodi <> wrote:

    >Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
    >
    >I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
    >often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
    >happening.
    >
    >The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
    >ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
    >
    >Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
    >
    >I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
    >
    >And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
    >and she reactivated it for me.
    >
    >Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
    >
    >Regards
    >Lodi

    I though you did not need MS software when running the nutters Lunix..?

    Brian Mathews, Feb 28, 2008
  6. Lodi

    EMB Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:38:48 +0100 (CET), Lodi <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
    >>
    >> I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
    >> often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
    >> happening.
    >>
    >> The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
    >> ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
    >>
    >> Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
    >>
    >> I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
    >>
    >> And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
    >> and she reactivated it for me.
    >>
    >> Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi

    > I though you did not need MS software when running the nutters Lunix..?

    Windows in a VM is great - bluescreens no longer require rebooting the
    physical machine. You however would probably benefit from a bloody good
    physical booting on a regular basis.

    EMB, Feb 28, 2008
  7. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:02:29 +1300, Brian Mathews wrote:
    >

    > I though you did not need MS software when running the nutters Lunix..?

    Personally I've no interest in using Windows. The disadvantages of
    MicroSoft software far outweigh the advantage(s).

    However the person for whom I'm setting this up needs to run multimedia
    medical cd's which will only run correctly under MS. There's no way she
    wants MS on her laptop. So VMware to the rescue.

    I happily re-activated my old XP cd and donated it to the cause. It's not
    of any value to me.

    Lodi

    Lodi, Feb 28, 2008
  8. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:43:50 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

    >> Lodi wrote:

    >> Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
    >>
    >> I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
    >> often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
    >> happening.
    >>
    >> The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
    >> ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
    >>
    >> Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
    >>
    >> I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
    >>
    >> And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
    >> and she reactivated it for me.
    >>
    >> Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi

    > The last chapter of the manual has optimisation hints for guest O/S's.
    > The main one is always to install VMware Tools (it's in the 'VM' menu).
    > This installs an optimised video driver (among other things) into the
    > guest O/S. I see another one for XP is to run it in full-screen mode.
    >
    > hth
    > Murray.

    Thanks all for the advice re the memory settings. Very counter-intuitive.

    VMWare recommended 384 MB for the virtual machine up to a pre-swapping
    maximum of 768MB so I'd naturally enough gone for the maximum memory.
    Resetting it down to 512MB seems to have taken out the jerkiness. Thanks.

    One further question. Both the boot-up and shutdown processes take the
    best part of five minutes to complete. Is there a way I can remove the
    "Welcome" and "Shutdown" screens and see what's actually happening.
    Similar to removing "silent" from grub.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Feb 28, 2008
  9. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:21:33 +0100, Lodi wrote:

    > One further question. Both the boot-up and shutdown processes take the
    > best part of five minutes to complete. Is there a way I can remove the
    > "Welcome" and "Shutdown" screens and see what's actually happening.
    > Similar to removing "silent" from grub.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    That doesn't make sense sorry. I actually mean removing the welcome and
    shutdown screens from XP. Not VMware. Thanks.

    In the meantime I'll try and google an answer cos it's a pain not knowing
    what's going on during the boot.

    Lodi

    Lodi, Feb 28, 2008
  10. Lodi wrote:
    > However the person for whom I'm setting this up needs to run multimedia
    > medical cd's which will only run correctly under MS. There's no way she
    > wants MS on her laptop. So VMware to the rescue.

    Just to check that you've looked at medibuntu :

    http://www.medibuntu.org/
    https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/

    Mark Robinson, Feb 28, 2008
  11. Lodi

    shane Guest

    Lodi did scribble:

    > Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
    >
    > I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
    > often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
    > happening.
    >
    > The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
    > ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
    >
    > Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
    >
    > I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
    >
    > And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
    > and she reactivated it for me.
    >
    > Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    You've installed vmtools onto that instance right?
    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick

    shane, Feb 28, 2008
  12. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:31:58 +1300, shane wrote:

    > Lodi did scribble:
    >
    >> Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
    >>
    >> I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
    >> often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
    >> happening.
    >>
    >> The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
    >> ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
    >>
    >> Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
    >>
    >> I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
    >>
    >> And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
    >> and she reactivated it for me.
    >>
    >> Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi

    > You've installed vmtools onto that instance right?

    Yep. First thing after the initial install

    Lodi

    Lodi, Feb 28, 2008
  13. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:29:51 +1300, Mark Robinson wrote:

    >> Lodi wrote:
    >> However the person for whom I'm setting this up needs to run multimedia
    >> medical cd's which will only run correctly under MS. There's no way she
    >> wants MS on her laptop. So VMware to the rescue.

    > Just to check that you've looked at medibuntu :
    >
    > http://www.medibuntu.org/
    > https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/

    Thanks. I'm aware of medibuntu but don't think it's what I need. The
    multimedia presentations have to be pretty near perfect. It just seems
    that VMWare was the easiest solution. I didn't want to start installing
    additional programmes/codecs etc which may or not have done the job and
    were only needed for the one job anyway.

    At least XP in VMware can be used for other things (not that any
    immediately spring to mind)

    Thanks anyway.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Feb 28, 2008
  14. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    >> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:21:33 +0100, Lodi wrote:

    >> One further question. Both the boot-up and shutdown processes take the
    >> best part of five minutes to complete. Is there a way I can remove the
    >> "Welcome" and "Shutdown" screens and see what's actually happening.
    >> Similar to removing "silent" from grub.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi

    > That doesn't make sense sorry. I actually mean removing the welcome and
    > shutdown screens from XP. Not VMware. Thanks.
    >
    > In the meantime I'll try and google an answer cos it's a pain not knowing
    > what's going on during the boot.

    THe short answer is that you can't.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Feb 28, 2008
  15. Lodi

    EMB Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > One further question. Both the boot-up and shutdown processes take the
    > best part of five minutes to complete. Is there a way I can remove the
    > "Welcome" and "Shutdown" screens and see what's actually happening.
    > Similar to removing "silent" from grub.

    Hack boot.ini

    Details here:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963892.aspx

    EMB, Feb 28, 2008
  16. Lodi

    thingy Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
    >
    > I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
    > often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
    > happening.
    >
    > The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
    > ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
    >
    > Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
    >
    > I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
    >
    > And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
    > and she reactivated it for me.
    >
    > Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    The underlying OS needs RAM to work, so I'd look at re-balancing a bit,
    (look for signs of linux swapping) also you should be looking to install
    vm-tools, which I assume is available on GSX? for ESX which is what I
    use, these symptoms dis-appear once the vm-tools are installed.

    Run things like top, make sure you are not swapping, the laptop probably
    has a low rpm harddrive which will impact swapping particularly badly
    Consider adding another gig of ram....I wouldn't run on less than 2...4
    is practical....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Feb 28, 2008
  17. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Lodi wrote:
    >> One further question. Both the boot-up and shutdown processes take the
    >> best part of five minutes to complete. Is there a way I can remove the
    >> "Welcome" and "Shutdown" screens and see what's actually happening.
    >> Similar to removing "silent" from grub.
    >>

    > Hack boot.ini
    >
    > Details here:
    >
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963892.aspx

    EMB, do those switches enable you to see what is happening at boot time?

    Or does it just switch the gui bits off?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Feb 28, 2008
  18. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-02-28, Murray Symon <> wrote:
    > Lodi wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
    >>
    >> I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
    >> often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
    >> happening.

    You might like to try Virtualbox

    Sorry that is not what you asked ;-)

    Howver virtualbox worked for me in 5 mins, VMware is still another project.

    Gordon, Feb 29, 2008
  19. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-02-28, Brian Mathews <> wrote:

    > I though you did not need MS software when running the nutters Lunix..?

    Woger is that you?

    Gordon, Feb 29, 2008
  20. Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-02-28, Brian Mathews <> wrote:
    >> I though you did not need MS software when running the nutters Lunix..?
    >>

    > Woger is that you?

    The failure to spell his own name is a bit of a give-away.

    Mark Robinson, Feb 29, 2008