    any snags with motherboard etc...

    thanx ???
    Dave

    Dave, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Dave

    Nad Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just a simple question,can a hard drive with an operating system on
    > board be transferred to another pc and work as normal.Will there be
    > any snags with motherboard etc...
    >
    > thanx ???
    > Dave

    Unless the computers are of very simular configuration, it would be best to
    format and start from fresh.

    Nad, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    thanx for that. the orginal drive is from a home built pc and was
    going to go in a hp pc.both pc`s have similar spec, same speed same
    memory etc, different mother boards of course.Should there be a
    problem installing new operating system on branded pc.I ask this
    because the hp has xp home and i want to replace with xp proff.

    Dave

    Dave, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Dave

    Linda Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > thanx for that. the orginal drive is from a home built pc and was
    > going to go in a hp pc.both pc`s have similar spec, same speed same
    > memory etc, different mother boards of course.Should there be a
    > problem installing new operating system on branded pc.I ask this
    > because the hp has xp home and i want to replace with xp proff.
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:57:26 +0100, "Nad" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Dave" <> wrote in message
    >>> Just a simple question,can a hard drive with an operating system on
    >>> board be transferred to another pc and work as normal.Will there be
    >>> any snags with motherboard etc...
    >>>
    >>> thanx ???
    >>> Dave

    >>Unless the computers are of very simular configuration, it would be best
    >>format and start from fresh.

    If the PCs do not have identical motherboards, read Nad's lips & reformat.

    Linda, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Dave

    Pennywise Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:40:11 GMT, Dave <>
    wrote:

    |>Just a simple question,can a hard drive with an operating system on
    |>board be transferred to another pc and work as normal.Will there be
    |>any snags with motherboard etc...

    Simple answer; 98 is a champ at trading systems just give it the
    drivers it ask for. 2000 and XP are a real pain and easier to just
    reinstall.

    Pennywise, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Dave

    philo Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Just a simple question,can a hard drive with an operating system on
    > board be transferred to another pc and work as normal.Will there be
    > any snags with motherboard etc...

    I do a lot of harddrive transplants...
    with XP there's about a 40% chance of the OS reconfiguring itself

    if not...simply boot from the cd and perform a repair installtion...
    you will have to apply your updates again afterwards

    philo, Sep 2, 2004
  7. Dave

    WormWood Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Just a simple question,can a hard drive with an operating system on
    > board be transferred to another pc and work as normal.Will there be
    > any snags with motherboard etc...
    >
    > thanx ???
    > Dave

    Dave?

    Dave's not here.

    WormWood, Sep 3, 2004
  8. Dave

    D Guest

    yes I am top posting :p

    hi Dave,

    read up and edumacate yourself on Sysprep utility and Ghosting!!

    cheers,

    D, Sep 3, 2004