    only 7 items in start-up. Computer only 1 year old fairly high spec
    Thanks
    John (UK)
    Johnnie Scott, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Johnnie Scott

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:21:02 GMT, "Johnnie Scott"
    <john374999nospam@,,,,ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Done all the usual spyware etc etc. Seems to of happened only in the past
    >Month. Background picture fairly quick but programs take a long tome. Have
    >only 7 items in start-up. Computer only 1 year old fairly high spec

    Only 7 items in the Startup FOLDER or only 7 items load at Startup?

    Turn computer on. Hit control-alt-del. In task manager, how many
    processes are running?
    Evan Platt, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Johnnie Scott

    old jon Guest

    "Johnnie Scott" <john374999nospam@,,,,ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Done all the usual spyware etc etc. Seems to of happened only in the past
    > Month. Background picture fairly quick but programs take a long tome.
    > Have only 7 items in start-up. Computer only 1 year old fairly high spec
    > Thanks
    > John (UK)

    D\load and run CCleaner
    www.ccleaner.com/
    Tick the first block and analyse. See what you can get rid of, then untick
    the block
    Tick the 3rd block, and analyse. See what you can get rid of, then untick
    the block
    Click on Issues, analyse (loadsa rubbish ?.) Fix, but opt to save changes.
    restart in Safe mode. and defrag your drive. That should clean your system
    up for you.
    best wishes..OJ
    old jon, Oct 25, 2005
  4. Johnnie Scott

    Andy Petro Guest

    Problem could be not enough memory. With XP you need at least 512 MB of
    memory. This was my problem.

    Andy Petro, Oct 26, 2005
  5. Johnnie Scott

    ellis_jay Guest

    Johnnie Scott wrote:
    > Done all the usual spyware etc etc. Seems to of happened only in the
    > past Month. Background picture fairly quick but programs take a long
    > tome. Have only 7 items in start-up. Computer only 1 year old
    > fairly high spec
    > Thanks
    > John (UK)

    You may have some program set to run/scan/clean on start up....such as
    spybot or adaware or a virus scanner...most of these programs do not need to
    run/scan/or clean when opening, but rather scan or run on demand. Check
    your program settings and undo if that is your problem. S&D Teatimer or
    Winpatrol offers menus to allow or deny boot up running, also.

    Ellis_jay
    ellis_jay, Oct 27, 2005
  6. "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Johnnie Scott" <john374999nospam@,,,,ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Done all the usual spyware etc etc. Seems to of happened only in the
    >> past Month. Background picture fairly quick but programs take a long
    >> tome. Have only 7 items in start-up. Computer only 1 year old fairly
    >> high spec
    >> Thanks
    >> John (UK)
    >>

    > D\load and run CCleaner
    > www.ccleaner.com/
    > Tick the first block and analyse. See what you can get rid of, then untick
    > the block
    > Tick the 3rd block, and analyse. See what you can get rid of, then untick
    > the block
    > Click on Issues, analyse (loadsa rubbish ?.) Fix, but opt to save changes.
    > restart in Safe mode. and defrag your drive. That should clean your system
    > up for you.
    > best wishes..OJ
    >I had the same problem. I did a "normal startup" from msconfig. It went
    >away, but you will have to deal with things that you may have shut off on
    >startup previous.

    Tony
    Anthony Romanski, Oct 28, 2005