XP startup problem (missed desktop) after Ghost image restore

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. I'm experiencing a xp 64 bit startup problem after a restore made using a
    previously made symantec Ghost 8.2 dump image.

    The operating system load fine but the desktop is missed, no icons / task
    bar, only a light blue shaded screen with the xp logo in the middle.

    My main HDD is splitted in two partitions:

    - Primary NTFS 48Gb for XP Professional (32bit)
    - Secondary NTFS 26Gb for XP 64bit

    To perform the backup, I load Ghost using a Floppy Disk then I do a HDD to
    IMAGE backup storing it on a secondary drive. In this manner, bot XP pro and
    XP 64 bit are saved.

    After restoring, XP 32 bit run without problem but XP 64 show the issue
    described above.

    I had made several restore attempt, but same problem.

    I've then reinstalled, configured and updated again XP 64 bit. Tested it
    several days and saved it to a Ghost image. After restoring the same
    problem occour...

    It seem that Ghost leave out something in the 64 bit op.sys partition,
    what's wrong in your opinion ?

    My system is configured as follow:

    Main board: Intel D945Pvs
    Cpu: Pentium D 3Ghz
    4 x 1Gb DDR2 memory
    Vga: ATI FireGL v5100

    HDD1: WD Raptor 74Gb sata1
    HDD2: WD 200Gb sata2
    HDD3: Maxtor 300Gb sata1

    All the peripherial work absolutely fine in both 32 and 64 bit environment.
    All the attempt was made using the latest drivers + update available.

    Single user / no password / no lan for both op.sys

    Thanks for any advice!

    Mario
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=, Jan 16, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Have you tried to back up each partition separately? I have Ghost 9 so am
    unfamiliar with 8, but I have Ghost installed on my 32 bit system and have
    imaged the x64 partition from there. I have restored it from the image
    using the install CD and from the 32 bit system with no problems.

    John Barnes, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Thanks for your reply,

    I had also saved each partition into separate ghost image but I got the same
    problem.

    Never tested Ghost 9 because I prefer the old DOS way, but since something
    is wrong I will reconsiderate this.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=, Jan 16, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Be aware that you can only RESTORE from the Ghost 9 CD. You must have it
    installed on a 32-bit system to make an image. I don't know about the new
    Ghost 10, which may install and work on x64, but I understand the bootable
    CD still only allows restores.

    John Barnes, Jan 16, 2006
  5. Thanks for your answer, good thing to know.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=, Jan 22, 2006