    icons, remove them and redraw them about 7 times before boot is
    complete. What is it doing? Can I eliminate some of this activity? XP
    SP1

    Geoff Pearson, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Geoff Pearson

    °Mike° Guest

    You may have a corrupt icon cache. Delete it and reboot.
    It's a hidden file, called Iconcache.db, that you can find in:

    Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:07:26 -0000, in
    <btp800$9lshi$-berlin.de>
    Geoff Pearson scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 10, 2004

  3. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > You may have a corrupt icon cache. Delete it and reboot.
    > It's a hidden file, called Iconcache.db, that you can find in:
    >
    > Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\
    >

    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:07:26 -0000, in
    > <btp800$9lshi$-berlin.de>
    > Geoff Pearson scrawled:
    >
    > >When booting up my machine seems to fill the screen with my desktop
    > >icons, remove them and redraw them about 7 times before boot is
    > >complete. What is it doing? Can I eliminate some of this activity?

    XP
    > >SP1
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    That seems to have worked! Now it draws the icons once - much more
    peaceful. It doesn't seem to have recreated the iconcache.db file - or,
    at least, not put one back where I deleted it from.

    Geoff Pearson, Jan 10, 2004
  4. Geoff Pearson

    Harrison Guest

    A couple of things to try.

    1. Check for updated drivers for your graphics adapter.

    2. Try booting with the network card disconnected and see if that
    improves it. If it does, try reinstalling or replacing your card.

    Also check for viruses and spyware.

    Harrison, Jan 10, 2004
  5. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > You may have a corrupt icon cache. Delete it and reboot.
    > It's a hidden file, called Iconcache.db, that you can find in:
    >
    > Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\
    >

    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:07:26 -0000, in
    > <btp800$9lshi$-berlin.de>
    > Geoff Pearson scrawled:
    >
    > >When booting up my machine seems to fill the screen with my desktop
    > >icons, remove them and redraw them about 7 times before boot is
    > >complete. What is it doing? Can I eliminate some of this activity?

    XP
    > >SP1
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    and sorry - I should have said thank you.

    Geoff Pearson, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Geoff Pearson

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:42:25 -0000, in
    <btpa1i$9f8av$-berlin.de>
    Geoff Pearson scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> You may have a corrupt icon cache. Delete it and reboot.
    >> It's a hidden file, called Iconcache.db, that you can find in:
    >>
    >> Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\

    <snip>

    >That seems to have worked! Now it draws the icons once - much more
    >peaceful. It doesn't seem to have recreated the iconcache.db file - or,
    >at least, not put one back where I deleted it from.

    The icon cache will be rebuilt as needed. Try rebooting again.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 10, 2004
  7. Geoff Pearson

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:46:08 -0000, in
    <btpa8h$9tv3f$-berlin.de>
    Geoff Pearson scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> You may have a corrupt icon cache. Delete it and reboot.
    >> It's a hidden file, called Iconcache.db, that you can find in:
    >>
    >> Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\

    <snip>

    >and sorry - I should have said thank you.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 10, 2004
  8. <Harrison> wrote in message
    > A couple of things to try.
    >
    > 1. Check for updated drivers for your graphics adapter.
    >
    > 2. Try booting with the network card disconnected and see if that
    > improves it. If it does, try reinstalling or replacing your card.
    >
    > Also check for viruses and spyware.
    >
    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:07:26 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >When booting up my machine seems to fill the screen with my desktop
    > >icons, remove them and redraw them about 7 times before boot is
    > >complete. What is it doing? Can I eliminate some of this activity?

    XP
    > >SP1

    Thanks for these thoughts. Having improved the icon drawing, I ma no
    trying out Mike's web page suggestion to move files out of My Documents.
    I have been having terrible trouble with Outlook Express hanging when I
    move form one newsgroup to another, with 100% CPU activity and I suspect
    the My Docs folder is the problem.

    Geoff Pearson, Jan 10, 2004
  9. Geoff Pearson

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:20:52 -0000, in
    <btpc9l$8scu8$-berlin.de>
    Geoff Pearson scrawled:

    ><Harrison> wrote in message
    >> A couple of things to try.
    >>
    >> 1. Check for updated drivers for your graphics adapter.
    >>
    >> 2. Try booting with the network card disconnected and see if that
    >> improves it. If it does, try reinstalling or replacing your card.
    >>
    >> Also check for viruses and spyware.
    >>
    >> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:07:26 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >When booting up my machine seems to fill the screen with my desktop
    >> >icons, remove them and redraw them about 7 times before boot is
    >> >complete. What is it doing? Can I eliminate some of this activity?

    >XP
    >> >SP1
    >> >

    >Thanks for these thoughts. Having improved the icon drawing, I ma no
    >trying out Mike's web page suggestion to move files out of My Documents.
    >I have been having terrible trouble with Outlook Express hanging when I
    >move form one newsgroup to another, with 100% CPU activity and I suspect
    >the My Docs folder is the problem.

    Try cleaning up your OE folder (Tools / Options / Maintenance).
    And be sure to uncheck the option to compact in the background,
    which can corrupt your .dbx files.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 10, 2004