XP Standby problems - startup better?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Barb, Jan 28, 2008.

  1. Barb

    Barb Guest

    Hi. I have a Dell Demension 8400 running XP and it can't seem to recover
    properly from Standby. I can put it manually into Standby OK, but when I
    come back to it, it appears to start back OK but nothing works properly, it
    won't restart or switch off, and I often end up having to switch off with
    the power switch.

    This is generally a pain, since I come back to the PC repeatedly during the
    day. I've Googled the problem and it seems to be a common a very diverse
    problem, with a myriad of causes.

    Questions: (1) Anyone got any ideas? (2) Is it harmful to continually
    shut down and restart a PC?

    I can switch the monitor off, obviously, but more power would be saved if I
    could get the machine to switch off temporarily.

    Thanks.

    Barb

    Barb, Jan 28, 2008

  2. Barb wrote:

    > Hi. I have a Dell Demension 8400 running XP and it can't seem to recover
    > properly from Standby. I can put it manually into Standby OK, but when I
    > come back to it, it appears to start back OK but nothing works properly,
    > it won't restart or switch off, and I often end up having to switch off
    > with the power switch.
    >
    > This is generally a pain, since I come back to the PC repeatedly during
    > the
    > day. I've Googled the problem and it seems to be a common a very diverse
    > problem, with a myriad of causes.
    >
    > Questions: (1) Anyone got any ideas? (2) Is it harmful to continually
    > shut down and restart a PC?
    >
    > I can switch the monitor off, obviously, but more power would be saved if
    > I could get the machine to switch off temporarily.

    So use hibernate instead. It is a option under energy settings, just check
    the box and setup ("advanced") hibernate instead of standby.
    If you deliberately want to hibernate, press the shift key and the standby
    button turns into hibernate, once you activated the power setting.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 28, 2008

  3. Barb

    chuckcar Guest

    "Barb" <> wrote in

    > Hi. I have a Dell Demension 8400 running XP and it can't seem to
    > recover properly from Standby. I can put it manually into Standby OK,
    > but when I come back to it, it appears to start back OK but nothing
    > works properly, it won't restart or switch off, and I often end up
    > having to switch off with the power switch.
    >
    > This is generally a pain, since I come back to the PC repeatedly
    > during the day. I've Googled the problem and it seems to be a common
    > a very diverse problem, with a myriad of causes.
    >
    > Questions: (1) Anyone got any ideas? (2) Is it harmful to
    > continually shut down and restart a PC?

    1. Disconnect any external devices such as anything on USB and firewire.
    Failing that fixing it, disable *everything* in startup to see if that
    fixes the problem. If it does, you know what do start eliminating from.
    Try going into standby *immediately* after the computer is finished
    booting - pointing towards some program you run. If all this fails start
    again after removing *both* the ACPI system and power buttons under
    system in device manager (as administrator) along with the stardard
    floppy disk controller. This last fixes a corrupt power management. This
    last you will havbe to do before each of the above along with a restart.

    2. Ever since windows 95 came on the market. Also probably not the
    healthiest thing for a power supply.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 29, 2008