    Just dnloaded the Pre XP SP3 updates all 72 Megs of it..

    That's a lot of Updates..

    Mind you a lot less than SP2..
    XP, Aug 31, 2005

  2. XP

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Just dnloaded the Pre XP SP3 updates all 72 Megs of it..
    >
    > That's a lot of Updates..
    >
    > Mind you a lot less than SP2..

    download a beta release of a service pack? you must be be nuts
    Craig Sutton, Aug 31, 2005

  3. XP

    Thor Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "XP" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Just dnloaded the Pre XP SP3 updates all 72 Megs of it..
    >>
    >> That's a lot of Updates..
    >>
    >> Mind you a lot less than SP2..
    >>

    > download a beta release of a service pack? you must be be nuts

    I think you have hit the nail on the head, you realise it is Roger you are
    speaking to ?

    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor
    Thor, Aug 31, 2005
  4. XP

    XP Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:15:32 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <>
    wrote:

    >"XP" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Just dnloaded the Pre XP SP3 updates all 72 Megs of it..
    >>
    >> That's a lot of Updates..
    >>
    >> Mind you a lot less than SP2..
    >>

    >download a beta release of a service pack? you must be be nuts

    Yes I like excitement, these are all release updates that MS supplies to
    request users, but not for NZ..
    XP, Aug 31, 2005
  5. XP

    Dave Taylor Guest

    XP <> wrote in

    > Yes I like excitement, these are all release updates that MS supplies to
    > request users, but not for NZ..

    I think that NZ users would get them if they went through what all the
    other users have to. These are specific fixes for specific problems and as
    you know they may cause other problems. If it ain't broke...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 31, 2005
  6. XP

    Rider Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > XP <> wrote in
    >
    >> Yes I like excitement, these are all release updates that MS supplies to
    >> request users, but not for NZ..

    > I think that NZ users would get them if they went through what all the
    > other users have to. These are specific fixes for specific problems and
    > as
    > you know they may cause other problems. If it ain't broke...

    But its his ... it's bound to be broke..

    :)

    Rider
    Rider, Aug 31, 2005
  7. XP

    autechre Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:15:32 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrotd:

    >"XP" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Just dnloaded the Pre XP SP3 updates all 72 Megs of it..
    >>
    >> That's a lot of Updates..
    >>
    >> Mind you a lot less than SP2..
    >>

    >download a beta release of a service pack? you must be be nuts

    There is no SP3 beta yet. That pack is just a rollup of all the
    current post-SP2 fixes.

    Nothing to see here... move along.
    autechre, Sep 1, 2005
  8. XP

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:55:38 +1200, autechre <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:15:32 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    ><> wrotd:
    >

    >>"XP" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Just dnloaded the Pre XP SP3 updates all 72 Megs of it..
    >>>
    >>> That's a lot of Updates..
    >>>
    >>> Mind you a lot less than SP2..
    >>>

    >>download a beta release of a service pack? you must be be nuts
    >>

    >There is no SP3 beta yet. That pack is just a rollup of all the
    >current post-SP2 fixes.
    >
    >Nothing to see here... move along.

    NO ITS NOT, CAN'T YOU READ..?
    XP, Sep 1, 2005
  9. XP

    PseUDO Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:55:38 +1200, autechre <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:15:32 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    >><> wrotd:
    >>

    >>>"XP" <> wrote in message

    >>>download a beta release of a service pack? you must be be nuts
    >>>

    >>There is no SP3 beta yet. That pack is just a rollup of all the
    >>current post-SP2 fixes.
    >>
    >>Nothing to see here... move along.

    > NO ITS NOT, CAN'T YOU READ..?

    They are hotfixes that have "ALREADY" been released, just rolled up into
    one download!.

    http://www.thehotfix.net/sp3.html

    Like it says on the website "All hotfix downloads are linked directly to
    Microsoft. These are 100% official downloads"

    The forum is here if anyone wants to read up on it
    http://www.thehotfix.net/forums/index.php?showforum=5

    At least they now have an installer for it.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Sep 1, 2005
  10. XP

    Mercury Guest

    ms does not issue hotfixes in a manner that supports hosting for download.
    ie, the files issued self-expire.

    most of the fixes on the list are either standard or critical updates or
    non-hotfixes that i can see.

    personally, any site that misrepresents things as hot fixes is not
    trustworthy.

    use at your own peril.

    Mercury, Sep 1, 2005
  11. XP

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Mercury" <> wrote in news:df6oc4$ee8$:

    > use at your own peril.

    How do you feel about the Autopatcher series?
    http://www.autopatcher.com/

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 2, 2005
  12. XP

    Mercury Guest

    no opinion.
    the site furnishes no info about the product.
    why should anyone download it?
    ok the site is really rich in the no BS arena, but lacking in info.
    do they really expect people to trust forums?

    i have heard of the product before.... but.....

    is it any good?
    why use it?
    why not use windows update?

    Mercury, Sep 2, 2005
  13. XP

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <df97er$5bh$>, says...

    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > > "Mercury" <> wrote in news:df6oc4$ee8$:
    > >
    > >> use at your own peril.

    > > How do you feel about the Autopatcher series?
    > > http://www.autopatcher.com/
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ciao, Dave

    > no opinion.
    > the site furnishes no info about the product.
    > why should anyone download it?
    > ok the site is really rich in the no BS arena, but lacking in info.
    > do they really expect people to trust forums?
    >
    > i have heard of the product before.... but.....
    >
    > is it any good?
    > why use it?
    > why not use windows update?

    I used to recommend Shavlik Technologies NetChkPro - haven't used it for
    a long time now though. These folk were involved in the development of
    the Windows Update process and Baseline Security Analyser. I think MS
    do their own thing thesedays.

    http://www.shavlik.com

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 3, 2005
  14. XP

    Mercury Guest

    I've used that & its good, but it gets expensive on large sites.

    Mercury, Sep 3, 2005
  15. XP

    Rob J Guest

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 16:37:27 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <df97er$5bh$>, says...
    >
    >> "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message

    >> > How do you feel about the Autopatcher series?
    >> > http://www.autopatcher.com/
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Ciao, Dave

    >> no opinion.
    >> the site furnishes no info about the product.
    >> why should anyone download it?
    >> ok the site is really rich in the no BS arena, but lacking in info.
    >> do they really expect people to trust forums?
    >>
    >> i have heard of the product before.... but.....
    >>
    >> is it any good?
    >> why use it?
    >> why not use windows update?

    >I used to recommend Shavlik Technologies NetChkPro - haven't used it for
    >a long time now though. These folk were involved in the development of
    >the Windows Update process and Baseline Security Analyser. I think MS
    >do their own thing thesedays.
    >
    >http://www.shavlik.com

    MSBA is very good. I use it to help support a network running on a
    Linux server with Ghost to send the updates to the machines.
    Rob J, Sep 4, 2005
  16. XP

    Phstpok Guest

    Dave Taylor stubbed out the damp squib on 2/09/2005 8:48 p.m.and tried
    to bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    > "Mercury" <> wrote in news:df6oc4$ee8$:
    >

    >>use at your own peril.

    > How do you feel about the Autopatcher series?
    > http://www.autopatcher.com/

    I've used autopatcher 5.1.0.9 for about a month now. Works well, hasn't
    presented any problems apart from being a bt slow, and it keeps copies
    of everything it d/ls.

    Rob
    Phstpok, Sep 5, 2005
  17. In article <df6oc4$ee8$>, "Mercury" <>
    wrote:

    >ms does not issue hotfixes in a manner that supports hosting for download.
    >ie, the files issued self-expire.

    That means you can't even pass along copies to others, such as those who
    might not have ready Internet access.

    That seems bloody stupid. Why does Microsoft do such a thing?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 18, 2005
  18. XP

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:25:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > That seems bloody stupid. Why does Microsoft do such a thing?

    Because there are some persons out there which would take those files and
    tamper with them and then pass them off as being good files when they're
    infested with worms et c.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Windows is a bonfire, Linux is the sun. Linux only looks smaller if you lack
    perspective.
    Bling-Bling, Sep 18, 2005
  19. In article <>,
    Bling-Bling <> wrote:

    >>In article <df6oc4$ee8$>, "Mercury" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>ms does not issue hotfixes in a manner that supports hosting for download.
    >>>ie, the files issued self-expire.

    >>That means you can't even pass along copies to others, such as those who
    >>might not have ready Internet access.
    >>
    >>That seems bloody stupid. Why does Microsoft do such a thing?

    >Because there are some persons out there which would take those files and
    >tamper with them and then pass them off as being good files when they're
    >infested with worms et c.

    The answer to that is obvious, especially to Microsoft. It already ships
    a digital-signing API in Windows, why not use that to digitally sign
    updates? Then they can be freely redistributed, without fear of
    corruption creeping in.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 19, 2005