XP SP3 Flaged as a normal update..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Dec 17, 2007.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    <no > wrote in message
    news:...

    > Just had MS install SP3, it came up with the shied that it was a normal
    > update and only took some
    > 15mins..??
    >
    > I thought that it was a 70meg update..?

    Not sure what you've got exactly, but XP SP3 hasn't been officially released
    yet and won't be until early 2008.
    impossible, Dec 17, 2007

  2. impossible

    impossible Guest

    <no > wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 01:00:32 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >><no > wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Just had MS install SP3, it came up with the shied that it was a normal
    >>> update and only took some
    >>> 15mins..??
    >>>
    >>> I thought that it was a 70meg update..?
    >>>

    >>Not sure what you've got exactly, but XP SP3 hasn't been officially
    >>released
    >>yet and won't be until early 2008.
    >>

    > SP3 has been released to the Public as version SR1

    You mean RC1? As in Release Candidate 1? As in the beta version?

    impossible, Dec 17, 2007

  3. impossible

    no Guest

    no , Dec 17, 2007
  4. impossible

    no Guest

    no , Dec 17, 2007
  5. impossible

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    no > wrote in message

    > No it not called a Beta its RC1..

    "Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is currently in development. As of November
    2007, Microsoft's web site indicates a "preliminary" release date to be in
    the first half of 2008.

    Microsoft has begun a *beta* test of Service Pack 3. The latest testing
    build of Service Pack 3 is the Release Candidate build, 3244.

    On December 4, 2007, Microsoft released the RC version of Service Pack 3 to
    both TechNet and MSDN Subscribers."
    Nik Coughlin, Dec 17, 2007
  6. Re: XP SP3 flagged as a normal update

    In message <>, no
    wrote:

    > No it not called a Beta its RC1..

    What Microsoft calls a "Release Candidate" is what everybody else calls
    a "Beta".
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 17, 2007
  7. impossible

    no Guest

    no , Dec 17, 2007
  8. impossible

    impossible Guest

    <no > wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:14:19 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>no > wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> No it not called a Beta its RC1..
    >>>

    >>"Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is currently in development. As of
    >>November
    >>2007, Microsoft's web site indicates a "preliminary" release date to be in
    >>the first half of 2008.
    >>
    >>Microsoft has begun a *beta* test of Service Pack 3. The latest testing
    >>build of Service Pack 3 is the Release Candidate build, 3244.
    >>
    >>On December 4, 2007, Microsoft released the RC version of Service Pack 3
    >>both TechNet and MSDN Subscribers."

    > And Now to the Public..

    Originally released for testing to MSDN and TechNet subscribers --
    circulated since "as is" on plenty of torrent sites. It's a 350Mb download,
    so you can be sure that when MS releases it to the public next year it won't
    be via Automatic Updates.
    impossible, Dec 17, 2007
  9. Re: XP SP3 Flaged as a normal update..

    On Dec 17, 7:17 pm, no wrote:

    > >"Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is currently in development. As of November
    > >2007, Microsoft's web site indicates a "preliminary" release date to be in
    > >the first half of 2008.

    > >Microsoft has begun a *beta* test of Service Pack 3. The latest testing
    > >build of Service Pack 3 is the Release Candidate build, 3244.

    > >On December 4, 2007, Microsoft released the RC version of Service Pack 3 to
    > >both TechNet and MSDN Subscribers."

    > And Now to the Public

    Its public, only if you do the registry entry (which is widely
    available on your favorite search engine) change, to make it appear in
    Windows Update, just like the beta testers have

    The reason why it installed so quickily, is when you install via
    Windows Update it does Express Update which does a binary diff, and
    only sends the bit changes down the wire

    For example this takes the standalone Vista SP1 from about 700MB down
    to about 75MB

    IE Don't believe the press reports that say Vista SP1 is a GB download
    etc

    Cheer
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 17, 2007
  10. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message

    >> >"Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is currently in development. As of
    >> >November
    >> >2007, Microsoft's web site indicates a "preliminary" release date to be
    >> >in
    >> >the first half of 2008.

    >> >Microsoft has begun a *beta* test of Service Pack 3. The latest testing
    >> >build of Service Pack 3 is the Release Candidate build, 3244.

    >> >On December 4, 2007, Microsoft released the RC version of Service Pack 3
    >> >both TechNet and MSDN Subscribers."

    >> And Now to the Public

    > Its public, only if you do the registry entry (which is widely
    > available on your favorite search engine) change, to make it appear in
    > Windows Update, just like the beta testers have
    >
    > The reason why it installed so quickily, is when you install via
    > Windows Update it does Express Update which does a binary diff, and
    > only sends the bit changes down the wire
    >
    > For example this takes the standalone Vista SP1 from about 700MB down
    > to about 75MB
    >
    > IE Don't believe the press reports that say Vista SP1 is a GB download
    > etc

    How big is Vista SP1 if you **want** to download it in full for purposes of
    bringing fresh installations up to date? That's always been the advantage of
    SPs -- that they're compilations of previous updates/patches you can run
    from your own machine.
    impossible, Dec 17, 2007
  11. On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:14:19 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > On December 4, 2007, Microsoft released the RC version of Service Pack 3
    > to both TechNet and MSDN Subscribers."

    Those poor Guinea Pigs, or perhaps the better analogy is "lab rats",
    being force-fed something by Micro$oft with an unknown, or potentially
    highly dangerous effect just to see what might happen.

    Were there release notes detailing the list of what had changed?

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Dec 17, 2007
  12. Re: XP SP3 flagged as a normal update

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:29:09 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > What Microsoft calls a "Release Candidate" is what everybody else calls
    > a "Beta".

    What Micro$oft calls "Service Pak 1" is what everyone else calls "the
    first version of Micro$oft software that we might actually consider
    installing".

    "Service Pak 2" is what many would call "the version that is actually
    approaching the condition at which others would consider is nearly ready
    for a x.0 release.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Dec 17, 2007
  13. impossible

    no Guest

    no , Dec 17, 2007
  14. impossible

    no Guest

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:29:09 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, no
    >wrote:
    >
    >> No it not called a Beta its RC1..

    >What Microsoft calls a "Release Candidate" is what everybody else calls
    >a "Beta".

    No it was a Beta now a RC..
    no , Dec 17, 2007
  15. impossible

    Rhino Guest

    Re: XP SP3 flagged as a normal update

    On 17 Dec 2007 19:06:20 +1300, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:29:09 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> What Microsoft calls a "Release Candidate" is what everybody else calls
    >> a "Beta".

    >What Micro$oft calls "Service Pak 1" is what everyone else calls "the
    >first version of Micro$oft software that we might actually consider
    >installing".
    >
    >"Service Pak 2" is what many would call "the version that is actually
    >approaching the condition at which others would consider is nearly ready
    >for a x.0 release.

    I'm interested in your sig. Do you actually work in the IT industry
    in NZ?

    Regarding x.0 releases, most corporates would never install x.0
    software, they will always run release x-1.patch whatever

    This not only applies to MS, but also in my experience (38 years in
    Telecommunications/IT) to Cisco, Unix, Linux and other O/S's including
    the NEC NEAX exchanges of Telecom.

    If you don't believe me, try convincing a large corporate customer to
    upgrade all their Cisco routers and switches to the "latest version
    that was released last week."

    Cheers, Rhino
    Rhino, Dec 17, 2007
  16. impossible

    no Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:45:02 -0800 (PST), Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >> >"Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is currently in development. As of November
    >> >2007, Microsoft's web site indicates a "preliminary" release date to be in
    >> >the first half of 2008.

    >> >Microsoft has begun a *beta* test of Service Pack 3. The latest testing
    >> >build of Service Pack 3 is the Release Candidate build, 3244.

    >> >On December 4, 2007, Microsoft released the RC version of Service Pack 3 to
    >> >both TechNet and MSDN Subscribers."

    >> And Now to the Public

    >Its public, only if you do the registry entry (which is widely
    >available on your favorite search engine) change, to make it appear in
    >Windows Update, just like the beta testers have
    >
    >The reason why it installed so quickily, is when you install via
    >Windows Update it does Express Update which does a binary diff, and
    >only sends the bit changes down the wire
    >
    >For example this takes the standalone Vista SP1 from about 700MB down
    >to about 75MB
    >
    >IE Don't believe the press reports that say Vista SP1 is a GB download
    >etc
    >
    >Cheer
    >Nathan

    I did the registry entry some weeks ago but it never worked no matter how I tried, but this
    morning I had the Update warning shield thing and that worked 100% and was fast..

    A lot of web sites have been posting MS links for the Full 340meg ? update, stating that it now been
    released to the public.
    no , Dec 17, 2007
  17. Re: XP SP3 flagged as a normal update

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:21:48 +1300, Rhino wrote:

    > If you don't believe me, try convincing a large corporate customer to
    > upgrade all their Cisco routers and switches to the "latest version that
    > was released last week."

    Nobody in their right mind would migrate, say, 2000 PCs onto a version of
    an application that they had not thoroughly tested in their UAT
    environment.

    You don't replace/update software that works unless there is a very
    compelling reason to do so.

    The old adage applies equally as well in IT as it does in most other
    industries - if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Dec 17, 2007
  18. Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:14:19 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> On December 4, 2007, Microsoft released the RC version of Service Pack 3
    >> to both TechNet and MSDN Subscribers."

    > Those poor Guinea Pigs, or perhaps the better analogy is "lab rats",
    > being force-fed something by Micro$oft with an unknown, or potentially
    > highly dangerous effect just to see what might happen.
    >
    > Were there release notes detailing the list of what had changed?

    Hahahahaha, what a melodramatic drama queen !
    Southern Kiwi, Dec 17, 2007
  19. impossible

    Alan Guest

    <no > wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:45:02 -0800 (PST), Nathan Mercer
    > <> wrote:

    >>> And Now to the Public

    >>Its public, only if you do the registry entry (which is widely
    >>available on your favorite search engine) change, to make it appear
    >>in
    >>Windows Update, just like the beta testers have
    >>
    >>The reason why it installed so quickily, is when you install via
    >>Windows Update it does Express Update which does a binary diff, and
    >>only sends the bit changes down the wire
    >>
    >>For example this takes the standalone Vista SP1 from about 700MB
    >>down
    >>to about 75MB
    >>
    >>IE Don't believe the press reports that say Vista SP1 is a GB
    >>download
    >>etc
    >>
    >>Cheer
    >>Nathan

    > I did the registry entry some weeks ago but it never worked no
    > matter how I tried, but this
    > morning I had the Update warning shield thing and that worked 100%
    > and was fast..
    >
    > A lot of web sites have been posting MS links for the Full 340meg ?
    > update, stating that it now been
    > released to the public.

    Hi No One,

    What do you gain by doing the registry key update?

    I am not sure what the advantage is against waiting until it comes out
    on Windows Update - is it just to get it earlier?

    Thanks,
    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Dec 17, 2007
  20. impossible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: XP SP3 Flaged as a normal update..

    Somewhere on teh interweb impossible typed:
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message

    >>> And Now to the Public

    >> Its public, only if you do the registry entry (which is widely
    >> available on your favorite search engine) change, to make it appear
    >> in Windows Update, just like the beta testers have
    >>
    >> The reason why it installed so quickily, is when you install via
    >> Windows Update it does Express Update which does a binary diff, and
    >> only sends the bit changes down the wire
    >>
    >> For example this takes the standalone Vista SP1 from about 700MB down
    >> to about 75MB
    >>
    >> IE Don't believe the press reports that say Vista SP1 is a GB
    >> download etc
    >>

    > How big is Vista SP1 if you **want** to download it in full for
    > purposes of bringing fresh installations up to date? That's always
    > been the advantage of SPs -- that they're compilations of previous
    > updates/patches you can run from your own machine.

    I believe the man just said "about 700MB" above for the 'standalone
    version'.

    I would suspect that it may be possible to order it (FOC) on CD from MS, as
    was possible with XP SP2....
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.