    www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs/windows_sp2.html

    Anyone know their way round this problem.

    Alan
    A, Jun 1, 2005

  2. A

    Pat Guest

    A wrote:
    > AOL have a download patch to fix their XP SP2 problems where their customers
    > have broadband connection problems. However these customers cannot download
    > the patch because they cannot connect any longer to AOL broadband. Seems
    > like catch 22.
    >
    > See following URL ...
    >
    > www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs/windows_sp2.html
    >
    > Anyone know their way round this problem.
    >
    > Alan

    How does AOL work in the UK? In the US, I believe for "AOL Broadband"
    you subscribe to some Cable/DSL provider, and then AOL charges you a
    monthly fee to use their service. If that's the case, the user should
    still have some connectivity to the internet outside of AOL.

    I don't know, maybe they've changed it to where AOL has their own
    broadband service in the states. Although, I'm sure it's expensive as
    hell and a waste of money.
    Pat, Jun 2, 2005

  3. A

    AG Guest

    "A" <> wrote in message
    > AOL have a download patch to fix their XP SP2 problems where their
    > customers have broadband connection problems. However these customers
    > cannot download the patch because they cannot connect any longer to AOL
    > broadband. Seems like catch 22.
    >
    > See following URL ...
    >
    > www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs/windows_sp2.html
    >
    > Anyone know their way round this problem.
    >
    > Alan

    Most people should still be able to dial up. Personally I'd download it
    myself and put it on either a CD or thumb drive so I'd have it just in case.

    AG
    AG, Jun 2, 2005
  4. A

    A Guest

    The Outcome: AOL asked all the usual questions again for the fourth time in
    two weeks. No British Telecom test had been done as promised. Client
    cancelled AOL at a cost of £170 wasted contract. Have temp. installed
    Tiscali dialup. DSL line release takes 10 to 14 days, then client can order
    from a decent BB supplier.

    A, Jun 3, 2005
  5. A

    AG Guest

    "A" <> wrote in message
    > The Outcome: AOL asked all the usual questions again for the fourth time
    > in two weeks. No British Telecom test had been done as promised. Client
    > cancelled AOL at a cost of £170 wasted contract. Have temp. installed
    > Tiscali dialup. DSL line release takes 10 to 14 days, then client can
    > order from a decent BB supplier.

    If the customer used a credit card to pay AOL they should be able to dispute
    the charges.

    AG
    AG, Jun 4, 2005
  6. A

    A Guest

    Client gave bank account details for direct debit. He is 78, and was a
    Captain in the British army. He now has to decide whether to order another
    broadband once AOL "release" his line. His neighbour said he should fight in
    the courts. I don't know where in the UK AOL contracts are deemed to have
    been made. If it's Glasgow then that's where he would have to go! Thanks for
    the idea. Yesterday I did a Tiscali BB set up and it registered 2.3 mbps,
    the fastest yet. So I must pester BT again about my measlet half mb BB.
    Cheers A.

    A, Jun 4, 2005