XP SP2

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Jesus Alvarado !!, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. 1 Gig diskspace is this true ? needed ?
    Jesus Alvarado !!, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Jesus Alvarado !!

    Steve Guest

    Steve, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Jesus Alvarado !!

    RH Guest

    I followed your link....interesting...not 1 GB but 2 GB
    required for installation

    RH, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Jesus Alvarado !!

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    am i the only geek who thinks 2 gigs for a SP is insane! i guess the
    internet media is right, this is a major update to the OS product.

    "RH" <> wrote in news:3f7c01c47fb5
    $7d069cd0$:

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://rowdy_yates2.tripod.com/
    Rowdy Yates, Aug 11, 2004
  5. Jesus Alvarado !!

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Aug 11, 2004 "Rowdy Yates" blathered:

    > am i the only geek who thinks 2 gigs for a SP is insane! i guess the
    > internet media is right, this is a major update to the OS product.

    No wonder it took them so dam long to release it!

    --
    Tech "'That's a whole lotta code' Geek" Pro
    MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Aug 11, 2004
  6. Jesus Alvarado !!

    nerd32768 Guest

    > On Aug 11, 2004 "Rowdy Yates" blathered:
    >
    > > am i the only geek who thinks 2 gigs for a SP is insane! i guess the
    > > internet media is right, this is a major update to the OS product.

    > No wonder it took them so dam long to release it!
    >
    > --
    > Tech "'That's a whole lotta code' Geek" Pro
    > MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    > I'm TechGeekPro, and I approved this post.

    It just takes up so much space because the installation sets a system
    restore point, and backs up a ton of files
    nerd32768, Aug 11, 2004
  7. >1 Gig diskspace is this true ? needed ?

    According to kb837783 it's anywhere up to, quote: -1560 MB peak usage
    during installation, with quote: - 30 MB of free hard disk space on
    the first primary system partition.

    However the readme with sp2 says simple says, quote: - 900 MB of
    available disk space during installation

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 11, 2004
  8. Jesus Alvarado !!

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:25:26 GMT, "Jesus Alvarado !!"
    <> wrote:

    >1 Gig diskspace is this true ? needed ?

    The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837783

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE
    Paul Lynch, Aug 11, 2004
  9. Jesus Alvarado !!

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Jesus Alvarado !!" <> wrote in message
    > 1 Gig diskspace is this true ? needed ?

    You'll probably need less disk space if you wait for XP CDs with SP2 already
    integrated and do a fresh install from those.

    Shell out some more money, to MS, to save HD space. Sound plan.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Aug 11, 2004
  10. Jesus Alvarado !!

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Rowdy Yates, Aug 11, 2004
  11. Jesus Alvarado !!

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Ken Briscoe" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > "Jesus Alvarado !!" <> wrote in message
    >> 1 Gig diskspace is this true ? needed ?
    >>

    > You'll probably need less disk space if you wait for XP CDs with SP2
    > already integrated and do a fresh install from those.
    >
    > Shell out some more money, to MS, to save HD space. Sound plan.

    Why would you do that? You can make your own.

    --
    Kelley
    aka Catwalker

    "I hate the fact that you people don't salute me!"
    catwalker63, Aug 11, 2004
  12. Jesus Alvarado !!

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:49:58 -0400, "Ken Briscoe"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jesus Alvarado !!" <> wrote in message
    >> 1 Gig diskspace is this true ? needed ?
    >>

    >You'll probably need less disk space if you wait for XP CDs with SP2 already
    >integrated and do a fresh install from those.
    >
    >Shell out some more money, to MS, to save HD space. Sound plan.

    Or you could just make your own. I do.

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE
    Paul Lynch, Aug 11, 2004
  13. >>Shell out some more money, to MS, to save HD space. Sound plan.

    >Or you could just make your own. I do.

    what make your money???

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 11, 2004
  14. Jesus Alvarado !!

    Ben Guest

    > >>Shell out some more money, to MS, to save HD space. Sound plan.

    > >Or you could just make your own. I do.

    > what make your money???
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    I think he means slipstream the service pack! Basically you have to generate
    a quantum field around the hard disk containing XP, allowing you to
    slipstream the service pack into it. :)

    See below for details:

    http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/index.php/Quantum_slipstream_drive
    http://scorpion.startrek-rebellion.com/ship/slipstream.htm

    Ben
    Ben, Aug 12, 2004
  15. Jesus Alvarado !!

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:59:55 +0100, "Ben"
    <> wrote:

    >"The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere" <.> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> >Or you could just make your own. I do.

    >> what make your money???
    >>
    >> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    >I think he means slipstream the service pack! Basically you have to generate
    >a quantum field around the hard disk containing XP, allowing you to
    >slipstream the service pack into it. :)
    >
    >See below for details:
    >
    >http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/index.php/Quantum_slipstream_drive
    >http://scorpion.startrek-rebellion.com/ship/slipstream.htm
    >
    >Ben

    Wow !! Those Quantum drive methods you've shown are way too advanced
    for me. I just use the humble -s switch with the service pack updater
    file to create an integrated build of XP :)

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE
    Paul Lynch, Aug 12, 2004
  16. Jesus Alvarado !!

    Paul Lynch Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:53:32 +0100, The Poster Formerly Known as Kline
    Sphere <.> wrote:

    >>>Shell out some more money, to MS, to save HD space. Sound plan.

    >>Or you could just make your own. I do.

    >what make your money???
    >
    >Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Well, yes I do make money but I don't 'make' it, if you see what I
    mean ;-)

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE
    Paul Lynch, Aug 12, 2004
  17. Jesus Alvarado !!

    Ben Guest

    "Paul Lynch" <> wrote in message

    > Wow !! Those Quantum drive methods you've shown are way too advanced
    > for me. I just use the humble -s switch with the service pack updater
    > file to create an integrated build of XP :)
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Paul Lynch
    > MCSE

    Nah that's the old way of doing it! The other way means the drive speed
    increases to warp 9.999, and XP benefits from additional security features,
    such as shields, phasers, and photon torpedo's, hopefully this should reduce
    the amount of viruses, trojans, spyware and klingons infecting the drive!

    :)
    Ben, Aug 12, 2004
  18. > hopefully this should reduce
    >the amount of viruses, trojans, spyware and klingons infecting the drive!

    what about trolls?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 12, 2004
  19. Jesus Alvarado !!

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > > hopefully this should reduce
    > >the amount of viruses, trojans, spyware and klingons infecting the drive!

    > what about trolls?

    Unfortunately, MS isn't smart enough to fend off all the trolls.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Aug 12, 2004
  20. >> > hopefully this should reduce
    >> >the amount of viruses, trojans, spyware and klingons infecting the drive!

    >> what about trolls?

    >Unfortunately, MS isn't smart enough to fend off all the trolls.

    maybe in sp3?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 12, 2004