    am overlooking something. Is there a way to actually do this using this
    utility, and how do I go about doing this?

    Thank you
    =?Utf-8?B?ZGltYWtp?=, Nov 14, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZGltYWtp?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    Channel setting for ad-hoc is a proprietary parameter of
    wi-fi adapter driver.
    Also, the Microsoft API has no notion of channel at all - only frequency.
    This is why you could'nt find it.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Nov 14, 2005

  3. Thank you for your response.

    Is it possible to obtain the exact frequency range and from it determine the
    channel number or does it simply tell you a general 2.4Ghz which only tells
    you that it's an 802.11b connection?
    I am a C++ developer, and I am interested in finding out how to obtain this
    information programatically.

    Regards,

    Dmitry

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGltYWtp?=, Nov 15, 2005
  4. On current versions of XP, it will only create Ad-Hoc networks using 802.11b
    on channel 11. At this point 802.11 only supports Adhoc in 802.11b and WEP
    is the only supported encryption scheme. For ease of use Microsoft
    restricted creating just to the single channel. WZC will see and connect to
    Ad-Hoc networks created by other devices on any of the 802.11 channels.

    With Vista and the activities of the 802.11s (Mesh working group), Ad-Hoc
    capabilities will be greatly expanded...
    Philip Doragh, Nov 15, 2005
  5. "Philip Doragh" <> wrote in message
    > On current versions of XP, it will only create Ad-Hoc networks using
    > 802.11b on channel 11. At this point 802.11 only supports Adhoc in
    > 802.11b and WEP is the only supported encryption scheme. For ease of use
    > Microsoft restricted creating just to the single channel. WZC will see
    > and connect to Ad-Hoc networks created by other devices on any of the
    > 802.11 channels.
    >
    > With Vista and the activities of the 802.11s (Mesh working group), Ad-Hoc
    > capabilities will be greatly expanded...

    I always set the channel, ad-hoc, through the driver properties for the NIC.
    I wasn't restricted to 11.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Nov 17, 2005