    I do not have a virus, judging from full scans with NOD32, Spyware Dr.
    and a few other popular bug zappers.

    XP SP2 running all hotfixes to date. Thanks for any help.
    JJ, Feb 8, 2009

  2. In message <>, JJ wrote:
    > I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem and needed to use msconfig. When
    > I tried to set it to just run necessary services, I got an error
    > message that only an Admin can do this. I am the only account on the
    > laptop, with full admin privileges! There *is* no other account.
    >
    > How can I fix this? I checked Control Panel -> User Accounts and sure
    > enough, there I am, listed with full (not limited) privileges.
    >
    > I do not have a virus, judging from full scans with NOD32, Spyware Dr.
    > and a few other popular bug zappers.
    >
    > XP SP2 running all hotfixes to date. Thanks for any help.

    Might Help:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.html?forumID=47&threadID=181020

    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Feb 8, 2009

  3. JJ

    Guest

    Re: XP SP2 says I don't have Admin Priv but I do!

    On Feb 8, 2:45 pm, JJ <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem and needed to use msconfig. When
    > I tried to set it to just run necessary services, I got an error
    > message that only an Admin can do this. I am the only account on the
    > laptop, with full admin privileges! There *is* no other account.
    >
    > How can I fix this? I checked Control Panel -> User Accounts and sure
    > enough, there I am, listed with full (not limited) privileges.
    >
    > I do not have a virus, judging from full scans with NOD32, Spyware Dr.
    > and a few other popular bug zappers.
    >
    > XP SP2 running all hotfixes to date. Thanks for any help.

    I just had the same thing happen on a used laptop that I acquired.
    I'd go to add new programs and access would be denied. The screen
    flashed so fast that I didn't even see the denial. I Googled xp tips
    for access denied and found a program that runs in dos to alleviate
    the problem. It seems that a number of registry keys had been changed
    to not allow changes in permissions. It might have been a result of
    many programs being added and removed over time. I ran the program and
    it took a long time to go through all the thousands of keys. In the
    end, it fixed everything and I can do what I want. Yours sounds like
    the same problem. Sorry I don't have that computer available with me.
    , Feb 8, 2009