    application.

    is there a way around this?
    Thanks in advance
    Ronnie H, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Ronnie H

    Mackin Guest

    Ronnie H wrote:

    > SP2 problems: after a clean install of WinXP pro SP2 most
    > applications reinstalled OK. Exceptions were 16 bit programs. These
    > are small shareware programs, eg, mortgage calculators, stickers, metric
    > converters etc etc. These do not appear on Microsoft's list.
    >
    > some install and do not run, some do not install, all result in this
    > message:
    >
    > 16 Bit Windows Subsystem
    >
    > C:\Windows\system32\ autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS-DOS
    > or Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the
    > application.
    >
    > is there a way around this?
    > Thanks in advance

    Maybe an answer here?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    Mackin
    Mackin, Nov 29, 2004

  3. On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:37:57 +1300, "Ronnie H" <>
    wrote:

    >SP2 problems: after a clean install of WinXP pro SP2 most
    >applications reinstalled OK. Exceptions were 16 bit programs. These
    >are small shareware programs, eg, mortgage calculators, stickers, metric
    >converters etc etc. These do not appear on Microsoft's list.
    >
    >some install and do not run, some do not install, all result in this
    >message:
    >
    >16 Bit Windows Subsystem
    >
    >C:\Windows\system32\ autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
    >running MS-DOS
    >or Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the
    >application.
    >
    >is there a way around this?
    >Thanks in advance

    I had the same problem.
    The file Autoexec.nt is missing from Windows\system32. to restore it
    do the following:

    Use search to find Autoexec.nt file. it will probably be in
    C:\Windows\repair, copy and paste it to C:\Windows\system 32.
    That should fix your problem.

    Alan Keatinge
    Alan Keatinge, Nov 29, 2004
  4. Ronnie H

    David Guest

    Alan Keatinge wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:37:57 +1300, "Ronnie H" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>SP2 problems: after a clean install of WinXP pro SP2 most
    >>applications reinstalled OK. Exceptions were 16 bit programs. These
    >>are small shareware programs, eg, mortgage calculators, stickers, metric
    >>converters etc etc. These do not appear on Microsoft's list.
    >>
    >>some install and do not run, some do not install, all result in this
    >>message:
    >>
    >>16 Bit Windows Subsystem
    >>
    >>C:\Windows\system32\ autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
    >>running MS-DOS
    >>or Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the
    >>application.
    >>
    >>is there a way around this?
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>

    > I had the same problem.
    > The file Autoexec.nt is missing from Windows\system32. to restore it
    > do the following:
    >
    > Use search to find Autoexec.nt file. it will probably be in
    > C:\Windows\repair, copy and paste it to C:\Windows\system 32.
    > That should fix your problem.
    >
    > Alan Keatinge

    I had a similar problem (pre-SP2). The autoexec.nt file was there, but
    command.com was missing, resulting in an error about autoexec.nt, which
    i found weird.
    David, Nov 29, 2004
  5. Ronnie H

    steven Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:37:57 +1300, Ronnie H wrote:

    > SP2 problems: after a clean install of WinXP pro SP2 most
    > applications reinstalled OK. Exceptions were 16 bit programs. These
    > are small shareware programs, eg, mortgage calculators, stickers, metric
    > converters etc etc. These do not appear on Microsoft's list.
    >
    > some install and do not run, some do not install, all result in this
    > message:
    >
    > 16 Bit Windows Subsystem
    >
    > C:\Windows\system32\ autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS-DOS
    > or Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the
    > application.
    >
    > is there a way around this?
    > Thanks in advance

    yep email the people who wrote your vast aray of 16bit software and ask
    them to recompile it for a 32bit system.

    hell they have had damn near 8 years to do it.

    steven h
    steven, Nov 29, 2004
  6. Ronnie H

    Ronnie H Guest

    Thanks to all respondents: problem now solved.

    Ronnie H, Nov 30, 2004