    If we use the Intel Wiress Config software, it works fine.

    We have flashed the access points to the most recent bios and have the most
    recent drivers on the laptops.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuQ3Jhenk=?=, Mar 30, 2005

  2. If your Dell clients have an Intel 2100 adapter, load driver version
    1.2.0.56 or later before proceeding.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821442
    http://support.intel.com/support/notebook/sb/CS-006131.htm

    While the articles above are specific to the WPA update to Windows XP SP1,
    WPA support was included in XP SP2. The early driver versions of the Intel
    2100 had a few problems that were addressed in the later revisions. If the
    driver update does not resolve your issue though, please read on!

    The Windows Zero Configuration service automatically detects the
    configurations of wireless networks. If the 'available networks' list for
    the Windows wireless client is displaying the network as WPA, then the
    access points are beaconing WPA support. The access point may be configured
    in what we call a mixed-mode. Mixed-mode simply means that clients can
    connect using the WPA or WEP authentication types simultaneously. Our
    client will automatically detect the settings, and it will choose to use the
    strongest supported security offered by the access point. If the access
    point advertises WPA support, then automatic detection will use it! Our
    client will detect WPA support even if your adapter does not support
    advanced security types.

    Based upon the information in your post, I have a theory for what you are
    experiencing. Can you attempt the following proceedure and reply back with
    the results?

    Start with an empty preferred networks list
    - Open the property sheet for your adapter: START > Network Connections >
    Wireless Network Connection (or the wireless adapter's current name).
    - Select the Wireless Networks tab at the top of the property sheet.
    - Use the Remove button to delete all of the entries in the list.
    - Click the add button
    - In the new property sheet select the association tab.
    - Manually input the SSID, select OPEN for the network authentication type,
    select WEP for the data encryption type, and input the WEP key.
    - Select the authentication tab.
    - Uncheck the box for "Enable IEEE 802.1x..."
    - Click OK to save the settings for this newly created network.
    - Click OK on the remaining property sheet to save the preferred network
    settings.
    - The adapter should associate to the access point within the next sixty
    seconds.

    The Intel ProSet uses manually configured profiles and this is why the
    configuration doesn't change based upon the configuration of the access
    points.
    --
    Jerry Peterson
    Windows Network Services - Wireless

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], Mar 30, 2005

  3. Thanks Jerry. I'm out of the office Thursday and Friday returning on Monday.
    I will try all the different things you mentioned as soon as I return.

    ben

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuQ3Jhenk=?=, Mar 31, 2005