    This takes a long time to install, at least on my Dell 8100 laptop....up to
    4 hours now, and the progress bar is only at 20%(backing up files...) .
    Maybe I should have defragged the drive first.

    JedMeister, Jun 16, 2004

  2. JedMeister

    Route Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:10:49 +1200, JedMeister wrote:

    > This takes a long time to install, at least on my Dell 8100 laptop....up to
    > 4 hours now, and the progress bar is only at 20%(backing up files...) .
    > Maybe I should have defragged the drive first.

    Are you installing the official release or just a candidate release?

    --
    ....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...

    Route, Jun 16, 2004

  3. JedMeister

    JedMeister Guest

    Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 2 .... just on my
    laptop (with nothing important on it anyway) to see how the firewall
    functionality looks.

    JedMeister, Jun 16, 2004
  4. JedMeister

    Howard Guest

    Route wrote:

    > Are you installing the official release or just a candidate release?

    XP SP2 RC2 was just made available for download today.

    Howard, Jun 16, 2004
  5. In article <MSOzc.52$>,
    says...
    > This takes a long time to install, at least on my Dell 8100 laptop....up to
    > 4 hours now, and the progress bar is only at 20%(backing up files...) .
    > Maybe I should have defragged the drive first.

    Since when has SP2 been available?

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 16, 2004
  6. JedMeister

    JedMeister Guest

    sorry, it is sp2 rc2..

    JedMeister, Jun 16, 2004
  7. JedMeister

    JedMeister Guest

    Finally finished installing - 9 hours later.

    The SP2 RCS firewall does not seem to block outgoing traffic from what I see
    so far (activated firewall, ran the Nero update check, and the request went
    through a-ok).

    JedMeister, Jun 16, 2004
  8. JedMeister

    PseUDO Guest

    JedMeister wrote:

    > Finally finished installing - 9 hours later.
    >
    > The SP2 RCS firewall does not seem to block outgoing traffic from what I see
    > so far (activated firewall, ran the Nero update check, and the request went
    > through a-ok).
    >

    > "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>This takes a long time to install, at least on my Dell 8100 laptop....up

    >>4 hours now, and the progress bar is only at 20%(backing up files...) .
    >>Maybe I should have defragged the drive first.

    Whats the specs of your laptop, i installed sp2 last night on my laptop
    2.4Ghz celeron 512MB ram and the install was around 15 mins.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Jun 17, 2004
  9. JedMeister wrote:
    > This takes a long time to install, at least on my Dell 8100 laptop....up to
    > 4 hours now, and the progress bar is only at 20%(backing up files...) .
    > Maybe I should have defragged the drive first.

    it only took ~10 mins on mine... but that was a while ago, what version
    you using?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 17, 2004
  10. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>This takes a long time to install, at least on my Dell 8100 laptop....up to
    >>4 hours now, and the progress bar is only at 20%(backing up files...) .
    >>Maybe I should have defragged the drive first.

    > Since when has SP2 been available?

    RC2... the other day

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 17, 2004
  11. JedMeister wrote:
    > The SP2 RCS firewall does not seem to block outgoing traffic from what I see
    > so far (activated firewall, ran the Nero update check, and the request went
    > through a-ok).

    It is meant to ask you...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 17, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz says...
    > JedMeister wrote:
    > > This takes a long time to install, at least on my Dell 8100 laptop....up to
    > > 4 hours now, and the progress bar is only at 20%(backing up files...) .
    > > Maybe I should have defragged the drive first.

    > it only took ~10 mins on mine... but that was a while ago, what version
    > you using?

    I have seen some very slow SP1 installs on some PCs taking a couple of
    hours.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 17, 2004
  13. JedMeister

    JedMeister Guest

    Dell Inspiron 8100 1.2ghz pentium M, with 48 gig 5400 harddrive.

    15 minutes is awesome, I don't know why mine took so long- just the registry
    backup took over an hour.

    JedMeister, Jun 17, 2004
  14. JedMeister

    JedMeister Guest

    The XP SP2 RC2 firewall is turned on, and , I do not have any exceptions
    configured, and outgoing traffic seems to be allowed. Perhaps I need to
    figure out how to setup different security zones - at least, zonealarm is
    more intuitive.

    JedMeister, Jun 17, 2004
  15. JedMeister wrote:
    > The XP SP2 RC2 firewall is turned on, and , I do not have any exceptions
    > configured, and outgoing traffic seems to be allowed. Perhaps I need to
    > figure out how to setup different security zones - at least, zonealarm is
    > more intuitive.

    On my home machine I tinkered with it, and by default it asked me for
    everything to be "allowed" or not.
    It was fairly straight forward, but I knew what was trying to run, I try
    to be a moron about these things sometimes, but sometimes Im just not
    stupid enough to be a typical end user.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 17, 2004
  16. JedMeister

    Route Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:02:53 +1200, JedMeister wrote:

    > Finally finished installing - 9 hours later.
    >
    > The SP2 RCS firewall does not seem to block outgoing traffic from what I see
    > so far (activated firewall, ran the Nero update check, and the request went
    > through a-ok).

    To stop outbound traffic if needed, you can use IPsec which is an existing
    feature of Win 2k, XP and Win 2k3 O/S's

    --
    ....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...

    Route, Jun 17, 2004
  17. "JedMeister" <> wrote in message news:<4qYzc.249$>...
    > Finally finished installing - 9 hours later.
    >
    > The SP2 RCS firewall does not seem to block outgoing traffic from what I see
    > so far (activated firewall, ran the Nero update check, and the request went
    > through a-ok).

    The Windows Firewall in XP SP2 does not block outgoing traffic at all.
    It blocks inbound unsolicited traffic

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 18, 2004
  18. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in message news:<>...
    > JedMeister wrote:
    > > The XP SP2 RC2 firewall is turned on, and , I do not have any exceptions
    > > configured, and outgoing traffic seems to be allowed. Perhaps I need to
    > > figure out how to setup different security zones - at least, zonealarm is
    > > more intuitive.

    > On my home machine I tinkered with it, and by default it asked me for
    > everything to be "allowed" or not.

    The dialog box you are seeing if asking you if said application is
    allowed to listen for inbound connections - nothing to do with
    blocking outbound

    > It was fairly straight forward, but I knew what was trying to run, I try
    > to be a moron about these things sometimes, but sometimes Im just not
    > stupid enough to be a typical end user.

    This is one of the reasons why XPSP2 Windows Firewall doesn't attempt
    to block outbound traffic. I'm sure you can imagine the helpdesk
    calls to Microsoft, Xtra, Dell etc etc "the www.interweb thingy
    doesn't let me browse anymore, help!?"

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 18, 2004
  19. JedMeister

    Sketchee.com Guest

    (Nathan Mercer) wrote in message news:<>...

    > The Windows Firewall in XP SP2 does not block outgoing traffic at all.
    > It blocks inbound unsolicited traffic
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    Odd. It does block outgoing traffic for me. It pops up a window in
    the center of the screen asking if I want to allow the program to
    access the internet. If I click yes it adds it to the exceptions in
    the firewall control panel.

    Brian
    http://www.sketchee.com

    Sketchee.com, Jun 27, 2004
  20. (Sketchee.com) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Nathan Mercer) wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    > > The Windows Firewall in XP SP2 does not block outgoing traffic at all.
    > > It blocks inbound unsolicited traffic
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Nathan

    > Odd. It does block outgoing traffic for me. It pops up a window in
    > the center of the screen asking if I want to allow the program to
    > access the internet. If I click yes it adds it to the exceptions in
    > the firewall control panel.

    Windows Firewall in XP SP2 doesn't block outgoing traffic.
    That dialog box you see that pops up is asking if you want to allow
    those apps to receive inbound traffic to them.

    There is some docs on the Windows Firewall up on
    www.microsoft.com/sp2preview

    Cheers
    Nathan Mercer

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 27, 2004