    Does anyone know what is going on, or even how to remove this
    seemingly useless message which keeps reccurring

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Oct 14, 2004

  2. I had the same problem with a DJ400, it was installed as a
    monochrome printer, SP2 wanted to install it as a colour,
    so I let it, problem went away.
    Maybe the same kind of thing?

    Cheers

    Otis E Levator, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Patrick FitzGerald

    JJD Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:24:41 +1300, "Otis E Levator"
    <> wrote:

    >I had the same problem with a DJ400, it was installed as a
    >monochrome printer, SP2 wanted to install it as a colour,
    >so I let it, problem went away.
    >Maybe the same kind of thing?
    >
    >Cheers
    >"Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> On the computer of an organization I am helping out the installation
    >> of the service pack SP2 has produced a message on every start up
    >> saying "New hardware found".
    >>
    >> This mesage refers to the printer which is working perfectly.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what is going on, or even how to remove this
    >> seemingly useless message which keeps reccurring

    I've had the same, but it won't go away, no matter what I do. I try
    to let it install, but it won't actually find software for the printer
    it wants to install, no matter what I offer it. There's a tick box in
    the process that says "Don't ask to install this again" but checking
    it doesn't stop it trying again on next start up. I uninstalled all
    printer devices and reinstalled as proper connected devices asked, but
    still nothing.

    My computer shop chappy says he's seen it before, but he's given up
    trying to find a way to stop it.

    JJD, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Patrick FitzGerald

    Dave Taylor Guest

    JJD <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:24:41 +1300, "Otis E Levator"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I had the same problem with a DJ400, it was installed as a
    >>monochrome printer, SP2 wanted to install it as a colour,
    >>so I let it, problem went away.
    >>Maybe the same kind of thing?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>"Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> On the computer of an organization I am helping out the installation
    >>> of the service pack SP2 has produced a message on every start up
    >>> saying "New hardware found".
    >>>
    >>> This mesage refers to the printer which is working perfectly.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know what is going on, or even how to remove this
    >>> seemingly useless message which keeps reccurring
    >>>

    > I've had the same, but it won't go away, no matter what I do. I try
    > to let it install, but it won't actually find software for the printer
    > it wants to install, no matter what I offer it. There's a tick box in
    > the process that says "Don't ask to install this again" but checking
    > it doesn't stop it trying again on next start up. I uninstalled all
    > printer devices and reinstalled as proper connected devices asked, but
    > still nothing.
    >
    > My computer shop chappy says he's seen it before, but he's given up
    > trying to find a way to stop it.

    and then after it is installed, go into device manager and disable the
    device. does that fix it?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Oct 14, 2004
  5. Patrick FitzGerald

    Matt B Guest

    In news:,
    Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:
    > On the computer of an organization I am helping out the installation
    > of the service pack SP2 has produced a message on every start up
    > saying "New hardware found".
    >
    > This mesage refers to the printer which is working perfectly.
    >
    > Does anyone know what is going on, or even how to remove this
    > seemingly useless message which keeps reccurring
    >

    > Patrick

    Try...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q298370/

    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people.
    Those who get binary...
    And those who don't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Matt B, Oct 14, 2004
  6. Patrick FitzGerald

    JJD Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 06:16:44 GMT, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >JJD <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:24:41 +1300, "Otis E Levator"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I had the same problem with a DJ400, it was installed as a
    >>>monochrome printer, SP2 wanted to install it as a colour,
    >>>so I let it, problem went away.
    >>>Maybe the same kind of thing?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers
    >>>"Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message

    >> I've had the same, but it won't go away, no matter what I do. I try
    >> to let it install, but it won't actually find software for the printer
    >> it wants to install, no matter what I offer it. There's a tick box in
    >> the process that says "Don't ask to install this again" but checking
    >> it doesn't stop it trying again on next start up. I uninstalled all
    >> printer devices and reinstalled as proper connected devices asked, but
    >> still nothing.
    >>
    >> My computer shop chappy says he's seen it before, but he's given up
    >> trying to find a way to stop it.
    >>

    >and then after it is installed, go into device manager and disable the
    >device. does that fix it?

    No, as I said, I reinstall all my *proper* devices. This thing will
    *not* complete its install, so there's nothing to disable in device
    manager.

    JJD

    JJD, Oct 14, 2004
  7. Patrick FitzGerald

    Mark Guest

    Have you tried letting XP install it as it wants to, then manually
    upgrading its driver to the correct one (by right clicking on the
    printer, properties, advanced tab, and hitting new driver), then
    deleting the printer that was manually added (that works) ...doing
    that has solved that problem for me on a few occasions.

    Cheers,

    Mark

    Mark, Oct 14, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    says...

    > On the computer of an organization I am helping out the installation
    > of the service pack SP2 has produced a message on every start up
    > saying "New hardware found".
    >
    > This mesage refers to the printer which is working perfectly.
    >
    > Does anyone know what is going on, or even how to remove this
    > seemingly useless message which keeps reccurring
    >

    > Patrick

    I've just dealt with exactly the same problem on a Win2000 pro system.
    Also seen it on a WinME system, with a USB printer in both cases.

    Solution was to uninstall all previously installed HP software, and, in
    the case of the ME system, going in to the registry to manually delete
    double entries for drivers (hopefully not your problem), then
    reinstalling from scratch.
    Just deleting the printer from control panel and adding it back in
    didn't work - had to uninstall the HP software as well. Go figure.
    I think it's (still) a problem with registry keys gone bad; probably
    happening when switching usb device on and off...

    h.t.h. -Peter

    --
    ***************
    direct replies to peters[underscore]spambot[at]

    Peter Huebner, Oct 14, 2004
  9. Patrick FitzGerald, Oct 14, 2004
  10. Thanks to everybody for the help you provided on this problem.

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Oct 14, 2004
  11. Patrick FitzGerald

    DaveG Guest

    Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

    > On the computer of an organization I am helping out the installation
    > of the service pack SP2 has produced a message on every start up
    > saying "New hardware found".
    >
    > This mesage refers to the printer which is working perfectly.
    >
    > Does anyone know what is going on, or even how to remove this
    > seemingly useless message which keeps reccurring
    >

    > Patrick

    I recall reading somewhere that some installation scripts don't complete
    properly if the runonce key under hklm/microsoft/windows/current version
    has been deleted.

    You just have to recreate the key.

    Dave

    DaveG, Oct 15, 2004
  12. Patrick FitzGerald

    JJD Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:52:10 +1300, Mark <> wrote:

    >Have you tried letting XP install it as it wants to, then manually
    >upgrading its driver to the correct one (by right clicking on the
    >printer, properties, advanced tab, and hitting new driver), then
    >deleting the printer that was manually added (that works) ...doing
    >that has solved that problem for me on a few occasions.

    Thanks, but as I said, it won't actually complete the install when you
    let it go in the direction it says it wants to go, so there's no
    possibility of correcting anything later, because it doesn't correctly
    install..

    JJD

    JJD, Oct 15, 2004
  13. Patrick FitzGerald

    JJD Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:22:23 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:16:01 +1300, "Matt B"
    ><> wrote:

    >>Try...
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q298370/

    >Thanks Matt - that is what I need

    Can you please tell me what it was, because when I go to that URL I
    get the following:

    "The Requested Web Page is Not Available
    The page you were looking for is currently not available. The address
    may not be correct, or there may be a temporary problem with this
    site."

    JJD

    JJD, Oct 15, 2004
  14. On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:58:41 +1300, JJD <> wrote:

    >"The Requested Web Page is Not Available
    >The page you were looking for is currently not available. The address
    >may not be correct, or there may be a temporary problem with this
    >site."

    It was available this morning and it gave information on what to do
    about he "not found" problem.

    It is as you noted not there now , perhaps it is being updated.

    Keep trying !!

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Oct 15, 2004
  15. Patrick FitzGerald

    JJD Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:38:02 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:58:41 +1300, JJD <> wrote:
    >

    >>"The Requested Web Page is Not Available
    >>The page you were looking for is currently not available. The address
    >>may not be correct, or there may be a temporary problem with this
    >>site."

    >It was available this morning and it gave information on what to do
    >about he "not found" problem.
    >
    >It is as you noted not there now , perhaps it is being updated.
    >
    >Keep trying !!

    Thanks, it came back, but I have a problem. When I went to delete

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM

    a dialogue box told me there was an error deleting the key. I notice
    there are further subfolders in the LPTENUM folder and am wondering if
    this is the problem. Did you notice whether you had subfolders in the
    LPTENUM folder before you deleted it? Did everything proceed smoothly
    for you?

    JJD

    JJD, Oct 15, 2004
  16. On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:56:51 +1300, JJD <> wrote:

    >Thanks, it came back, but I have a problem. When I went to delete
    >
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
    >
    >a dialogue box told me there was an error deleting the key. I notice
    >there are further subfolders in the LPTENUM folder and am wondering if
    >this is the problem. Did you notice whether you had subfolders in the
    >LPTENUM folder before you deleted it? Did everything proceed smoothly
    >for you?

    I have not taking any action yet so
    I cant help you with that

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Oct 15, 2004
  17. *found new hardware"

    On applying the resolution to the "found new hardware" problem ,
    article 298370 in Microsoft knowledge base which suggests deleting the
    registry key

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM

    this key failed to delete with the message

    Cannot delete LPTENUM: Error while deleting Key

    Anyone got any suggestions on what I should do know?

    TIA

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Nov 25, 2004
  18. Patrick FitzGerald

    frederick Guest

    Re: *found new hardware"

    > On applying the resolution to the "found new hardware" problem ,
    > article 298370 in Microsoft knowledge base which suggests deleting the
    > registry key
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
    >
    > this key failed to delete with the message
    >
    > Cannot delete LPTENUM: Error while deleting Key
    >
    > Anyone got any suggestions on what I should do know?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > Patrick

    Open Regedit
    Right click on the key
    Select "Permissions"
    Check Full Control | Allow, then OK button
    Delete key

    I haven't looked at the MSKB article, but did they recommend deleting the entire
    registry branch, or to look there to delete the entry for the offending
    device(s)?

    frederick, Nov 25, 2004
  19. Patrick FitzGerald

    Invisible Guest

    Re: *found new hardware"

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:37:03 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:

    >On applying the resolution to the "found new hardware" problem ,
    >article 298370 in Microsoft knowledge base which suggests deleting the
    >registry key
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
    >
    >this key failed to delete with the message
    >
    > Cannot delete LPTENUM: Error while deleting Key
    >
    >Anyone got any suggestions on what I should do know?

    This any help?

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21162074.html

    Invisible, Nov 25, 2004
  20. Patrick FitzGerald

    Mr Scebe Guest

    Re: *found new hardware"

    > On applying the resolution to the "found new hardware" problem ,
    > article 298370 in Microsoft knowledge base which suggests deleting the
    > registry key
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
    >
    > this key failed to delete with the message
    >
    > Cannot delete LPTENUM: Error while deleting Key
    >
    > Anyone got any suggestions on what I should do know?

    Most likely you will have to stop the service that this key is using. There
    probably isn't one, so you may have to disable the printer port in the BIOS
    until you can delete the key.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"