    John Guest

    Came across this today, can't believe what I'm reading, but it seems microsoft have put in a backdoor to the XP SP2 Firewall! check out this link to secure yourself...
    http://www.cebrasoft.com/FWMonitor

    John , Nov 13, 2004

  2. John

    Moe Trin Guest

    In article <>,
    "John Anderson" wrote:

    >Came across this today, can't believe what I'm reading, but it seems
    >microsoft have put in a backdoor to the XP SP2 Firewall!

    Hmmm... "Golly gee" type announcement of yet another microsoft fiasco,
    with NO reference to a credible source, separately posted to (at least)
    alt.security, alt.os.security, and alt.computer.security.

    >check out this link to secure yourself...

    Invitation to an unknown site - again, NO information, but promise of
    some magic "fix".

    >http://www.cebrasoft.com/FWMonitor

    [compton ~]$ host www.cebrasoft.com
    www.cebrasoft.com is a nickname for iis1.linix.net
    iis1.linix.net has address 217.14.176.202
    [compton ~]$

    >From: "John Anderson"

    [compton ~]$ host 217.14.181.80
    80.181.14.217.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer 217-14-181-80.as2582.net
    [compton ~]$ host 217-14-181-80.as2582.net
    Host not found.
    [compton ~]$ domain.check as2582.net
    No match for "AS2582.NET"
    [compton ~]$ domain.check -as 217.14.181.80
    route: 217.14.176.0/20
    descr: Linix
    origin: AS25582
    source: RIPE
    [compton ~]$

    I'd trust microsoft before I'd trust a spammer hyping his own site with a
    hotmail address, from a host with a false name.

    KIDS! THIS IS HOW YOU GET VIRUSES / TROJANS / SPYWARE INSTALLED ON YOUR
    SYSTEMS. It's also how your email address may get added to some spam list.

    Sorry, mister spammer - I've got better things to do. You may want to
    talk to the incompetent klowns at mersinet.co.uk, and tell them that they
    fucked up the DNS record - it's as25582.net, not as2582.net - but neither
    agree with the RIPE address assignments, so that pretty well identifies
    them as blackhats or fools - you figure which. Not that it really matters,
    as neither should be allowed to connect to anyone's computer, much less
    install this magic fix.

    Moe Trin, Nov 14, 2004