    Hard disk crashed and was replaced. Installed XP Pro then SP2. Then installed Norton AV 2004 Pro, Norton was activated on line just like it should be appeared no problem. Rebooted per instructions, system would not boot. System starts to boot, gets to desktop with several of the icons showing, then dies. Requires hard restart.

    Uninstalled norton, removed SP2, installed norton, installed SP 2, system works perfectly.

    Any ideas out there???
    Nobody Here, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Nobody Here

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:37:15 GMT, "Nobody Here" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a computer, AMD XP 2200, 785 Meg SDRAM 80 Gig harddrive. Installed XP Pro with SP1, then Norton AV Pro 2004. No problem. Updated to XP SP2 also with no problem.
    >
    >Hard disk crashed and was replaced. Installed XP Pro then SP2. Then installed Norton AV 2004 Pro, Norton was activated on line just like it should be appeared no problem. Rebooted per instructions, system would not boot. System starts to boot, gets to desktop with several of the icons showing, then dies. Requires hard restart.
    >
    >Uninstalled norton, removed SP2, installed norton, installed SP 2, system works perfectly.
    >
    >Any ideas out there???

    Just one question, what's the html for?
    It ain't needed.

    joevan
    joevan, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Nobody Here

    Morey Guest

    "Nobody Here" <> wrote message

    > I have a computer, AMD XP 2200, 785 Meg SDRAM 80 Gig
    > harddrive. Installed XP Pro with SP1, then Norton AV Pro
    > 2004. No problem. Updated to XP SP2 also with no problem.
    >
    > Hard disk crashed and was replaced. Installed XP Pro then
    > SP2. Then installed Norton AV 2004 Pro, Norton was activated
    > on line just like it should be appeared no problem. Rebooted
    > per instructions, system would not boot. System starts to
    > boot, gets to desktop with several of the icons showing, then
    > dies. Requires hard restart.
    >
    > Uninstalled norton, removed SP2, installed norton, installed
    > SP 2, system works perfectly.

    Get a better AV. Don't use norton

    > Any ideas out there???

    > face="Comic Sans MS" size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
    >
    > ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C482BC.3653F170--

    Post in plain text.
    Morey, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Nobody Here

    Marfa, Texas Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:37:15 GMT, "Nobody Here" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have a computer, AMD XP 2200, 785 Meg SDRAM 80 Gig harddrive. Installed XP Pro with SP1, then Norton AV Pro 2004. No problem. Updated to XP SP2 also with no problem.
    >>
    >>Hard disk crashed and was replaced. Installed XP Pro then SP2. Then installed Norton AV 2004 Pro, Norton was activated on line just like it should be appeared no problem. Rebooted per instructions, system would not boot. System starts to boot, gets to desktop with several of the icons showing, then dies. Requires hard restart.
    >>
    >>Uninstalled norton, removed SP2, installed norton, installed SP 2, system works perfectly.
    >>
    >>Any ideas out there???

    > Just one question, what's the html for?
    > It ain't needed.
    >
    > joevan

    It appears as though he is using OE as newsreader and has it set the
    same for email and news. Oh well. :)

    --
    Just West of Nowhere
    Marfa, Texas
    Marfa, Texas, Aug 15, 2004
  5. Nobody Here

    John Guest

    While everyone else tells you to post in plain text I will make a hopefully
    usefull suggestion.

    Try install XP then updating with SP1 then add Norton if you must, then
    upgrade to SP2 if you want to before it is finally released.

    I hope that helps.

    To those about to tell me not to post on top "£$%^&*()

    Unknown, Aug 15, 2004
  7. Nobody Here

    John Guest

    "David Qunt" <> wrote in message
    > "John" <> squirted these wordjisms deep inside the bumtube
    > of the newstwat in
    >
    > > While everyone else tells you to post in plain text I will make a
    > > hopefully usefull suggestion.
    > >
    > > Try install XP then updating with SP1 then add Norton if you must,
    > > then upgrade to SP2 if you want to before it is finally released.
    > >

    > XP SP2 has been finally released. That happened last Monday.
    >
    > --
    > *********************************
    > > David Qunt

    Is it. On reading your reply I ran windows updates and it says I am right up
    to date and that auto update is enabled on my computer so I guess I have SP2
    installed in the background. If that is correct then it did not turn the XP
    firewall on.
    John, Aug 15, 2004
  8. X-No-archive: yes
    "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    Get rid of Norton.

    Why repost the html?
    Richard Rogers, Aug 15, 2004
  9. Nobody Here

    Brian Guest

    "Unknown" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    Get rid of Norton.

    and in the mean time check your settings... tools>>options>>sending>>send in
    original message's format <uncheck>
    Brian, Aug 15, 2004
  10. Nobody Here

    Nobody Here Guest

    Not bad. 9 replies. 3 complain about html. Sorry, but that is whas was
    set on the customers machine. 3 make the comment about getting better AV.
    No choice, that is what the customer bought and wants installed.

    1 reply actually tried to help. Thank you John. I did install XP with SP1,
    then Norton and then SP2. That worked fine. The problem is that unless you
    have that configuration, you cannot do it. Unless you build your own, you
    get what is shipped with your machine. In this case, xp with sp2.

    There is nothing on the Microsoft site not the Symantec site about the
    problem. This version of XP with SP2 came from an OEM who ships with SP2
    incorporated.

    Nobody Here, Aug 15, 2004
  11. Nobody Here

    David Qunt Guest

    David Qunt, Aug 15, 2004
  12. So this guy used html. Big deal. Got nothing better to do than complain.
    Also you complain about Norton. If you are so intelligent, what is the best
    antivirus out there? If you say McAfee, then we all know you are crazy.
    Some people like Norton for what ever reason, others do not. This guy asked
    for help and all he got was a bunch of crap from some idiots with nothing
    else better to do than to wine and complain.

    Just a Lerker, Aug 15, 2004
  13. Nobody Here

    John Guest

    John, Aug 15, 2004
  14. Nobody Here

    John Guest

    "David Qunt" <> wrote in message
    > "John" <> squirted these wordjisms deep inside the bumtube
    > of the newstwat in
    >
    > > "David Qunt" <> wrote in message
    > >> "John" <> squirted these wordjisms deep inside the
    > >> bumtube of the newstwat in

    > >> XP SP2 has been finally released. That happened last Monday.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> *********************************
    > >> >
    > >> ****************************************************

    > > Is it. On reading your reply I ran windows updates and it says I am
    > > right up to date and that auto update is enabled on my computer so I
    > > guess I have SP2 installed in the background. If that is correct then
    > > it did not turn the XP firewall on.
    > >

    > Yes, what I said is correct. A cursory glance at MS' site would have told
    > you that.
    >
    > Here is a link, from which I downloaded SP2 last Monday, and which I have
    > just checked is still working:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-
    > 4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
    >
    > I have also read that SP2 will appear on Windows Update tomorrow. WU in
    > turn is being upgraded from v4 to v5, with SP2 only appearing initially
    > to those who have been upgraded to v5.
    >
    > You can check if you have SP2 installed or not quite easily - Start/Run,
    > then type "winver" (without quotes) and press enter. Or right-click 'My
    > Computer' and choose properties. Or go to Help/About Windows from any
    > Explorer Window.
    >
    > Why don't you check that one of those ways, and then read the MS sites to
    > see if SP2 has been released or not - and only *then* come back and
    > doubt what I said earlier.

    I wouldn't doubt you. In fact I appreciate the info. No body knows it all.
    It seems I have SP1 only.

    I think I will leave it until it appears on the update. I understand from
    reading other posts that it turns the XP firewall on so I will notice if it
    gets installed in the background. There is no rush from my point of view as
    I have firewall and anti virus software up and running as well as the being
    behind the NAT of a router.

    I have also blocked HTA as HTA seems to get passed most of the security in
    the browser.
    John, Aug 15, 2004
  15. Nobody Here

    John Guest

    > Not bad. 9 replies. 3 complain about html. Sorry, but that is whas was
    > set on the customers machine. 3 make the comment about getting better AV.
    > No choice, that is what the customer bought and wants installed.
    >
    > 1 reply actually tried to help. Thank you John. I did install XP with

    SP1,
    > then Norton and then SP2. That worked fine. The problem is that unless

    you
    > have that configuration, you cannot do it. Unless you build your own, you
    > get what is shipped with your machine. In this case, xp with sp2.
    >
    > There is nothing on the Microsoft site not the Symantec site about the
    > problem. This version of XP with SP2 came from an OEM who ships with SP2
    > incorporated.

    Pleased to help. I have to say I am not fond of Norton. It is too invasive,
    but as you say you put on a customers machine what they want.
    So they are shipping XP with SP2 already! That was quick.
    John, Aug 15, 2004
  16. Nobody Here

    David Qunt Guest

    David Qunt, Aug 15, 2004
  17. Nobody Here wrote:

    > Not bad. 9 replies. 3 complain about html. Sorry, but that is whas was
    > set on the customers machine. 3 make the comment about getting better AV.
    > No choice, that is what the customer bought and wants installed.

    > 1 reply actually tried to help. Thank you John. I did install XP with SP1,

    The three about HTML helped, too: you're posting in plain text, now.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 15, 2004
  18. Just a Lerker wrote:

    > So this guy used html. Big deal. Got nothing better to do than complain.
    > Also you complain about Norton. If you are so intelligent, what is the best
    > antivirus out there? If you say McAfee, then we all know you are crazy.
    > Some people like Norton for what ever reason, others do not. This guy asked
    > for help and all he got was a bunch of crap from some idiots with nothing
    > else better to do than to wine and complain.

    And *your* help for him is apparently still up your ass -- it's sure not
    in here.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 15, 2004
  19. Nobody Here

    SgtMinor Guest

    Just a Lerker wrote:

    > So this guy used html. Big deal. Got nothing better to do than complain.
    > Also you complain about Norton. If you are so intelligent, what is the best
    > antivirus out there? If you say McAfee, then we all know you are crazy.
    > Some people like Norton for what ever reason, others do not. This guy asked
    > for help and all he got was a bunch of crap from some idiots with nothing
    > else better to do than to wine and complain.

    Perhaps you should "lerk" some more. HTML *is* a big deal. 24HSHD is a
    plain text newsgroup. HTML sucks up bandwidth. HTML can contain
    malicious code. Some newreaders don't do HTML. Some think it's
    ignorant to use HTML in usenet posts or email, for that matter.

    And what do you mean by "wine and complain?"
    SgtMinor, Aug 15, 2004
  20. Nobody Here

    Nobody Here Guest

    This thread is getting way off track. I posted from a customer's machine in
    html. I made a mistake. I should have checked the plain text box.

    We have had so many replys about this is not a html group and norton being
    no good and not one with a useful suggestion, with the exception of the 1 by
    John.

    The problem still exists. Does anyone know of a possible solution to the
    Windows XP with SP2 inbedded that will allow Norton AV to be installed? It
    does not matter if you do not like Norton. It does not matter if you will
    wait for Microsoft to update your OS when it feels like it. It is included
    in the restore disk that this customer has. That is what I have to work
    with.

    If no one knows the answer, then fine. I will wait to see if MS or Symantec
    has a solution. In the meantime, all you complainers and criticizers have a
    nice day.

    Nobody Here, Aug 15, 2004