    for a while and then says " the device can't be identified" and makes
    me choose the appropriate network card from the list. It still works
    fine but I just want to know if anyone else has noticed this?

    Dogg, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Dogg

    theseus Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > Okay...
    >
    > SP2 has made changes to installing a printer in XP which is annoying.
    > To setup HP Jetdirect printers in the past (since Win2K) I've just
    > used local printer, unticked "Automatically detect and install my plug
    > and play printer", created a new TCP\IP port with the address of the
    > printer, specifed the model and it's all good. Now it thinks about it
    > for a while and then says " the device can't be identified" and makes
    > me choose the appropriate network card from the list. It still works
    > fine but I just want to know if anyone else has noticed this?

    Is that with or without the firewall turned on ?
    There is a list of ports that JetDirect uses at the bottom of this table,
    maybe one it uses for discovery is blocked
    http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/lp/printservers.htm

    theseus, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:56:51 +1200, "theseus" <> wrote:

    >Dogg wrote:
    >> Okay...
    >>
    >> SP2 has made changes to installing a printer in XP which is annoying.
    >> To setup HP Jetdirect printers in the past (since Win2K) I've just
    >> used local printer, unticked "Automatically detect and install my plug
    >> and play printer", created a new TCP\IP port with the address of the
    >> printer, specifed the model and it's all good. Now it thinks about it
    >> for a while and then says " the device can't be identified" and makes
    >> me choose the appropriate network card from the list. It still works
    >> fine but I just want to know if anyone else has noticed this?

    >Is that with or without the firewall turned on ?
    >There is a list of ports that JetDirect uses at the bottom of this table,
    >maybe one it uses for discovery is blocked
    >http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/lp/printservers.htm

    Yeah, that's the first thing I checked, turned off.

    Dogg, Aug 24, 2004
  4. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:44:27 +1200, Dogg
    <doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> says...