    computer, but as far as I'm concerned, I bought it and it's mine. Now, my
    question is this: Is there a workaround for the activation for SP2? I
    don't want to go through this again!
    Thip, Sep 6, 2005

  2. Thip

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Thip wrote:
    > I just went 'round the flagpole with MS over re-activating XP Pro. It's a
    > long story, but this is an OEM version that came on a
    > Gateway--the Gateway now has Linux, and I made a CD and slipstreamed
    > SP2 into it to install on this machine. NO, IT IS NOT PIRATED! The
    > only time it was ever activated/registered was from this machine,
    > never any other, but when I reformatted and went to activate it
    > today, I ended up having to call MS and beg pretty please help me get
    > into my computer.
    > I know that, technically, this version of XP doesn't "belong" to this
    > computer, but as far as I'm concerned, I bought it and it's mine. Now, my
    > question is this: Is there a workaround for the activation
    > for SP2? I don't want to go through this again!

    Buy a legal copy for the machine. Stop pirating. It doesn't look good on
    you.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 6, 2005

  3. Thip

    crampy Guest

    In news:lU5Te.15610$,
    Toolman Tim <> typed:

    > Thip wrote:
    >> I just went 'round the flagpole with MS over re-activating XP Pro.
    >> It's a long story, but this is an OEM version that came on a
    >> Gateway--the Gateway now has Linux, and I made a CD and slipstreamed
    >> SP2 into it to install on this machine. NO, IT IS NOT PIRATED! The
    >> only time it was ever activated/registered was from this machine,
    >> never any other, but when I reformatted and went to activate it
    >> today, I ended up having to call MS and beg pretty please help me get
    >> into my computer.
    >> I know that, technically, this version of XP doesn't "belong" to this
    >> computer, but as far as I'm concerned, I bought it and it's mine.
    >> Now, my question is this: Is there a workaround for the activation
    >> for SP2? I don't want to go through this again!

    > Buy a legal copy for the machine. Stop pirating. It doesn't look good
    > on you.

    Speaking of things that don't look good on people? How's this fitting so
    far, maroon?

    --
    In news:ft3Te.5109$,
    Toolman Tim <> typed:

    "IE and FF probably comprise less than 2% of the browsers in use these
    days."
    crampy, Sep 6, 2005
  4. Thip wrote:

    > I just went 'round the flagpole with MS over re-activating XP Pro. It's a
    > long story, but this is an OEM version that came on a Gateway--the Gateway
    > now has Linux, and I made a CD and slipstreamed SP2 into it to install on
    > this machine. NO, IT IS NOT PIRATED! The only time it was ever
    > activated/registered was from this machine, never any other, but when I
    > reformatted and went to activate it today, I ended up having to call MS
    > and beg pretty please help me get into my computer.
    >
    > I know that, technically, this version of XP doesn't "belong" to this
    > computer, but as far as I'm concerned, I bought it and it's mine. Now, my
    > question is this: Is there a workaround for the activation for SP2? I
    > don't want to go through this again!

    Maybe it is/was a "bios locked" version which will work preactivated but
    only on the computer with the cpuid or whatever identification they chose,
    otherwise you have to reactivate it or get a new copy.
    Now, if you don't want activation, there is still w2k around (or use linux
    on this computer also :=)
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Sep 6, 2005
  5. Thip wrote the following on 9/5/2005 6:00 PM:
    > I just went 'round the flagpole with MS over re-activating XP Pro. It's a
    > long story, but this is an OEM version that came on a Gateway--the Gateway
    > now has Linux, and I made a CD and slipstreamed SP2 into it to install on
    > this machine. NO, IT IS NOT PIRATED! The only time it was ever
    > activated/registered was from this machine, never any other, but when I
    > reformatted and went to activate it today, I ended up having to call MS and
    > beg pretty please help me get into my computer.
    >
    > I know that, technically, this version of XP doesn't "belong" to this
    > computer, but as far as I'm concerned, I bought it and it's mine. Now, my
    > question is this: Is there a workaround for the activation for SP2? I
    > don't want to go through this again!

    Why didn't you use the Recovery CD with the OEM OS that came with your
    Gateway product? You could have installed SP2 post install.

    I've rebuilt many Windows XP PCs using the Recovery CD and activation
    has never been a problem.

    --
    The only easy day was yesterday.
    ITSO azionista, Sep 6, 2005
  6. Thip

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Thip" <> wrote:

    >I just went 'round the flagpole with MS over re-activating XP Pro. It's a
    >long story, but this is an OEM version that came on a Gateway--the Gateway
    >now has Linux, and I made a CD and slipstreamed SP2 into it to install on
    >this machine. NO, IT IS NOT PIRATED! The only time it was ever
    >activated/registered was from this machine, never any other, but when I
    >reformatted and went to activate it today, I ended up having to call MS and
    >beg pretty please help me get into my computer.
    >
    >I know that, technically, this version of XP doesn't "belong" to this
    >computer, but as far as I'm concerned, I bought it and it's mine. Now, my
    >question is this: Is there a workaround for the activation for SP2? I
    >don't want to go through this again!

    It appears that your OEM Windows is a BIOS Locked version that is tied
    to the BIOS version used by the original OEM.

    What does the End User License Agreement (file EULA.TXT in the
    \Windows\System32 folder) say with regards to where and how this copy
    can be installed?

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, Sep 6, 2005
  7. Thip

    PC Guest

    "Thip" <> wrote in message
    >I just went 'round the flagpole with MS over re-activating XP Pro. It's a
    >long story, but this is an OEM version that came on a Gateway--the Gateway
    >now has Linux, and I made a CD and slipstreamed SP2 into it to install on
    >this machine. NO, IT IS NOT PIRATED! The only time it was ever
    >activated/registered was from this machine, never any other, but when I
    >reformatted and went to activate it today, I ended up having to call MS and
    >beg pretty please help me get into my computer.
    >
    > I know that, technically, this version of XP doesn't "belong" to this
    > computer, but as far as I'm concerned, I bought it and it's mine. Now, my
    > question is this: Is there a workaround for the activation for SP2? I
    > don't want to go through this again!

    Note the "OEM'
    It means 'Tied to the original equipment'
    i.e. MS has licensed you to use it 'only' on the Gateway.

    Don't worry lots of people think 'Activation' sucks, but when your the only
    game in town.......

    Paul.
    PC, Sep 6, 2005
  8. Thip

    Toolman Tim Guest

    ITSO azionista wrote:
    > Thip wrote the following on 9/5/2005 6:00 PM:
    >> I just went 'round the flagpole with MS over re-activating XP Pro. It's a
    >> long story, but this is an OEM version that came on a
    >> Gateway--the Gateway now has Linux, and I made a CD and slipstreamed
    >> SP2 into it to install on this machine. NO, IT IS NOT PIRATED! The
    >> only time it was ever activated/registered was from this machine,
    >> never any other, but when I reformatted and went to activate it
    >> today, I ended up having to call MS and beg pretty please help me
    >> get into my computer. I know that, technically, this version of XP
    >> doesn't "belong" to this
    >> computer, but as far as I'm concerned, I bought it and it's mine. Now, my
    >> question is this: Is there a workaround for the activation
    >> for SP2? I don't want to go through this again!
    >>

    > Why didn't you use the Recovery CD with the OEM OS that came with your
    > Gateway product? You could have installed SP2 post install.
    >
    > I've rebuilt many Windows XP PCs using the Recovery CD and activation
    > has never been a problem.

    He wasn't putting it back on the Gateway. He was putting it on a DIFFERENT
    computer. Pirate.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 7, 2005
  9. Thip

    Thip Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Thip wrote:
    >
    > Maybe it is/was a "bios locked" version which will work preactivated but
    > only on the computer with the cpuid or whatever identification they chose,
    > otherwise you have to reactivate it or get a new copy.
    > Now, if you don't want activation, there is still w2k around (or use linux
    > on this computer also :=)
    > --

    That's what I don't understand. This copy of XP has only been activated
    *from this machine*. I've done it twice and now suddenly there's a big
    problem with it.
    Thip, Sep 7, 2005
  10. Thip wrote:

    > "Walter Mautner" wrote
    > ..
    >> Thip wrote:
    >>
    >> Maybe it is/was a "bios locked" version which will work preactivated but
    >> only on the computer with the cpuid or whatever identification they
    >> chose, otherwise you have to reactivate it or get a new copy.
    >> Now, if you don't want activation, there is still w2k around (or use
    >> linux on this computer also :=)
    >> --

    > That's what I don't understand. This copy of XP has only been activated
    > *from this machine*. I've done it twice and now suddenly there's a big
    > problem with it.

    Then we all didn't understand you in the first place. You said you got the
    OEM XP with a Gateway pc which now has linux on it (sounded like that pc is
    not anymore your concern) and you want to install the XP on "this"
    new/different PC. Well, anyways, installing XP _after_ Linux is a bad idea
    because XP demands the first active partition and also wipes the linux
    bootloader/mbr.
    Now you tell us, you already activated twice - the pc probably was activated
    at the shop a first time, and the 3 attempts/half year might be exhausted
    just that way, and you have to call them.
    Another issue (since you tend to be reluctant to tell the whole story after
    all) might be addition/removal of vital components like graphic/network
    card, harddisks ... or even setting noapic for linux kernel compatibility,
    which resorts the interrupts. XP activation check recognizes such changes
    just as you had changed the motherboard - or installed your xp on a
    different pc.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Sep 7, 2005
  11. Walter Mautner wrote the following on 9/6/2005 9:49 PM:
    > Thip wrote:
    >

    >>"Walter Mautner" wrote
    >>..
    >>
    >>>Thip wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Maybe it is/was a "bios locked" version which will work preactivated but
    >>>only on the computer with the cpuid or whatever identification they
    >>>chose, otherwise you have to reactivate it or get a new copy.
    >>>Now, if you don't want activation, there is still w2k around (or use
    >>>linux on this computer also :=)
    >>>--

    >>That's what I don't understand. This copy of XP has only been activated
    >>*from this machine*. I've done it twice and now suddenly there's a big
    >>problem with it.

    > Then we all didn't understand you in the first place. You said you got the
    > OEM XP with a Gateway pc which now has linux on it (sounded like that pc is
    > not anymore your concern) and you want to install the XP on "this"
    > new/different PC. Well, anyways, installing XP _after_ Linux is a bad idea
    > because XP demands the first active partition and also wipes the linux
    > bootloader/mbr.
    > Now you tell us, you already activated twice - the pc probably was activated
    > at the shop a first time, and the 3 attempts/half year might be exhausted
    > just that way, and you have to call them.
    > Another issue (since you tend to be reluctant to tell the whole story after
    > all) might be addition/removal of vital components like graphic/network
    > card, harddisks ... or even setting noapic for linux kernel compatibility,
    > which resorts the interrupts. XP activation check recognizes such changes
    > just as you had changed the motherboard - or installed your xp on a
    > different pc.

    Actually, in his original post, he stated, "I know that, technically,
    this version of XP doesn't "belong" to this computer, but as far as I'm

    ITSO azionista, Sep 7, 2005
  12. Thip

    > Thip wrote:
    >

    >> "Walter Mautner" wrote

    > Then we all didn't understand you in the first place. You said you got the
    > OEM XP with a Gateway pc which now has linux on it (sounded like that pc
    > is
    > not anymore your concern) and you want to install the XP on "this"
    > new/different PC. Well, anyways, installing XP _after_ Linux is a bad idea
    > because XP demands the first active partition and also wipes the linux
    > bootloader/mbr.
    > Now you tell us, you already activated twice - the pc probably was
    > activated
    > at the shop a first time, and the 3 attempts/half year might be exhausted
    > just that way, and you have to call them.
    > Another issue (since you tend to be reluctant to tell the whole story
    > after
    > all) might be addition/removal of vital components like graphic/network
    > card, harddisks ... or even setting noapic for linux kernel compatibility,
    > which resorts the interrupts. XP activation check recognizes such changes
    > just as you had changed the motherboard - or installed your xp on a
    > different pc.

    Evidently I didn't explain myself very well (my fault). Two PC's, one
    homemade and one Gateway. The Gateway had XP preinstalled. The homemade PC
    had nothing. The Gateway now has Linux and was given to my son. This PC,
    which never had an OS, then had the OEM XP installed on it and was activated
    twice from this PC, never from the Gateway. Now all of a sudden I'm having
    a problem activating it, and that caused my frustration.
    Thip, Sep 7, 2005
  13. Thip

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-09-06, Thip <> wrote:

    snip

    > I know that, technically, this version of XP doesn't "belong" to this
    > computer, but as far as I'm concerned, I bought it and it's mine. Now, my
    > question is this: Is there a workaround for the activation for SP2? I
    > don't want to go through this again!

    On a purely factual point, you did not buy any software from Microsoft and
    what you have does not belong to you. Microsoft don't seem to sell
    software at all, ever, not to anyone. They made their fortune by not
    selling software.

    What you did pay for was a licence to use some software, subject to the
    terms and conditions attached to that licence. You had to agree to that
    license before any of the software would work at all.

    If you want to use Microsoft software, you have to use it on their terms.
    That's the way they like it, and it seems to work for them.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 7, 2005
  14. Thip

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Thip" <> wrote:

    >Evidently I didn't explain myself very well (my fault). Two PC's, one
    >homemade and one Gateway. The Gateway had XP preinstalled. The homemade PC
    >had nothing. The Gateway now has Linux and was given to my son. This PC,
    >which never had an OS, then had the OEM XP installed on it and was activated
    >twice from this PC, never from the Gateway. Now all of a sudden I'm having
    >a problem activating it, and that caused my frustration.

    Were the previous activations done prior to 1 March 2005?

    That would explain this situation.

    Prior to 1 March 2005 if a BIOS Locked OEM version of Windows XP was
    installed on a computer from a different version it simply reverted to
    being a generic OEM version and could be activated over the Internet
    in the normal way.

    That led to considerable abuse of these OEM licenses. Word was
    getting around that if you had one of these BIOS Locked OEM versions
    you could install it on a second computer and it would activate and
    appear to be fully legitimate.

    As of 1 March 2005 Microsoft changed the activation procedures so that
    these BIOS Locked OEM versions will no longer activate over the
    Internet, and they are also declining telephone activation requests
    for these versions. They are self-activating when used on the
    designated motherboards so it does not affect the actual OEM systems,
    just when the Windows is installed on a different brand computer, or
    when the OEM motherboard is replaced with one from a different source.

    Ron Martell, Sep 7, 2005
  15. Thip

    Ron Martell Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote:

    >If you want to use Microsoft software, you have to use it on their terms.
    >That's the way they like it, and it seems to work for them.

    Same for every other software company in the world, except for
    contract programming shops that do custom built applications for major
    corporations and governments.

    Ron Martell, Sep 7, 2005
  16. Thip

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Ron Martell wrote:
    > "Thip" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Evidently I didn't explain myself very well (my fault). Two PC's,
    >> one homemade and one Gateway. The Gateway had XP preinstalled. The
    >> homemade PC had nothing. The Gateway now has Linux and was given to
    >> my son. This PC, which never had an OS, then had the OEM XP
    >> installed on it and was activated twice from this PC, never from the
    >> Gateway. Now all of a sudden I'm having a problem activating it,
    >> and that caused my frustration.
    >>

    > Were the previous activations done prior to 1 March 2005?
    >
    > That would explain this situation.
    >
    > Prior to 1 March 2005 if a BIOS Locked OEM version of Windows XP was
    > installed on a computer from a different version it simply reverted to
    > being a generic OEM version and could be activated over the Internet
    > in the normal way.
    >
    > That led to considerable abuse of these OEM licenses. Word was
    > getting around that if you had one of these BIOS Locked OEM versions
    > you could install it on a second computer and it would activate and
    > appear to be fully legitimate.
    >
    > As of 1 March 2005 Microsoft changed the activation procedures so that
    > these BIOS Locked OEM versions will no longer activate over the
    > Internet, and they are also declining telephone activation requests
    > for these versions. They are self-activating when used on the
    > designated motherboards so it does not affect the actual OEM systems,
    > just when the Windows is installed on a different brand computer, or
    > when the OEM motherboard is replaced with one from a different source.
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Which is why I called him a pirate. Software piracy is the primary reason MS
    had to implement the activation system in the first place. And it increases
    the cost of the product to all legitimate end users. I won't help someone
    with pirated software - be it from MS, or Lotus, or anyone.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 7, 2005
  17. Thip wrote:

    > Evidently I didn't explain myself very well (my fault). Two PC's, one
    > homemade and one Gateway. The Gateway had XP preinstalled. The homemade
    > PC
    > had nothing. The Gateway now has Linux and was given to my son. This PC,
    > which never had an OS, then had the OEM XP installed on it and was
    > activated
    > twice from this PC, never from the Gateway. Now all of a sudden I'm
    > having a problem activating it, and that caused my frustration.

    Ah ... well, microsoft did tie OEM versions (see the EULA) to the pcs they
    are selling it with. At least the same brand and mainboard make. From
    Microsofts point of view, you "pirated" the software by using it on another
    pc - even though you deleted it on the first one. And yes, you do not "own"
    the software, just the media it was delivered with.
    Now, a locked OEM version of XP surely is a lot cheaper (for the retailers
    that is) then a full version - which you need to install on _any_ *one*
    computer you get hold of. Nevertheless, you will have to explain yourself
    if you want to activate too often.
    If you don't agree to the EULA, buy another OS (or use linux like your son,
    and run wine/crossover/win4lin/bochs with win9x for legacy windows
    programs) and the programs you need, simply put.
    Btw., that's one more good reason why governments ought to use open document
    standards ....
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Sep 7, 2005
  18. Thip

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-09-07, Ron Martell <> wrote:
    > Whiskers <> wrote:
    >

    >>If you want to use Microsoft software, you have to use it on their terms.
    >>That's the way they like it, and it seems to work for them.

    > Same for every other software company in the world, except for
    > contract programming shops that do custom built applications for major
    > corporations and governments.

    Them as well, very often.

    However, not all licenses are as restrictive and limiting as Microsft's,
    not by a long way - cf BSD and GPL, for a start.

    If you have software issued under the GPL, you can install it on whatever
    machines you want to, as often as you like, and you can make copies and give
    them away - the license specifically says you can. You can change or
    extend it too; just as long as you apply the same GPL to your contribution,
    if you want to share it. This is the exact opposite of Microsoft's
    approach.

    That could be why Microsoft are so scared of Linux :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 7, 2005
  19. Thip

    Thip Guest

    Him is a her.

    Thip, Sep 7, 2005
  20. Thip

    Thip Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "Thip" <> wrote:
    >
    > Were the previous activations done prior to 1 March 2005?
    >
    > That would explain this situation.
    >
    > Prior to 1 March 2005 if a BIOS Locked OEM version of Windows XP was
    > installed on a computer from a different version it simply reverted to
    > being a generic OEM version and could be activated over the Internet
    > in the normal way.
    >
    > That led to considerable abuse of these OEM licenses. Word was
    > getting around that if you had one of these BIOS Locked OEM versions
    > you could install it on a second computer and it would activate and
    > appear to be fully legitimate.
    >
    > As of 1 March 2005 Microsoft changed the activation procedures so that
    > these BIOS Locked OEM versions will no longer activate over the
    > Internet, and they are also declining telephone activation requests
    > for these versions. They are self-activating when used on the
    > designated motherboards so it does not affect the actual OEM systems,
    > just when the Windows is installed on a different brand computer, or
    > when the OEM motherboard is replaced with one from a different source.
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --

    Thank you, Ron. Evidently there's no solution to my problem (except to make
    an image of the drive), but I appreciate your clearing up the mystery for
    me.
    Thip, Sep 7, 2005