    Any ideas or do I just give up completely? I got halfway through an online
    chat with MS support when they closed down!

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Paul

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in
    news:41671424$0$54810$:

    > Further to my earlier post, I have now just about given up on SP2. I
    > have tried 7 times, including with absolutely nothing else running,
    > and in safe mode, and it still refuses to copy the file iedw.ex_/exe.
    >
    > I have defragged the HDDs, scanned with adaware, spybot and
    > spysweeper, done an antivirus scan, disabled av, disabled zone alarm,
    > and it still won't work.
    >
    > Any ideas or do I just give up completely? I got halfway through an
    > online chat with MS support when they closed down!
    >
    > Paul

    It sounds like you have some kind of disk or file error that you're not
    going to come around it seems like until you resolve it. Is pointing to the
    HD for the error, are you using SP2 on a CD and it has the error, are you
    downloading and installing SP2 or what?

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Paul

    Conor Guest

    In article <41671424$0$54810$>, Paul
    says...
    > Further to my earlier post, I have now just about given up on SP2. I have
    > tried 7 times, including with absolutely nothing else running, and in safe
    > mode, and it still refuses to copy the file iedw.ex_/exe.
    >
    > I have defragged the HDDs, scanned with adaware, spybot and spysweeper, done
    > an antivirus scan, disabled av, disabled zone alarm, and it still won't
    > work.

    But did you try installing SP2 from another source such as alternative
    download or CD?

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.
    Conor, Oct 9, 2004
  4. Paul

    Eos Guest

    "Conor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <41671424$0$54810$>, Paul
    > says...
    >> Further to my earlier post, I have now just about given up on SP2. I
    >> have
    >> tried 7 times, including with absolutely nothing else running, and in
    >> safe
    >> mode, and it still refuses to copy the file iedw.ex_/exe.

    You have a 'dud' file there! Get it again and it'll work.
    Eos.
    Eos, Oct 9, 2004
  5. Paul

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| Further to my earlier post, I have now just about given up on SP2.
    >| I have tried 7 times, including with absolutely nothing else
    >| running, and in safe mode, and it still refuses to copy the file
    >| iedw.ex_/exe.
    >|
    >| I have defragged the HDDs, scanned with adaware, spybot and
    >| spysweeper, done an antivirus scan, disabled av, disabled zone
    >| alarm, and it still won't work.
    >|
    >| Any ideas or do I just give up completely? I got halfway through an
    >| online chat with MS support when they closed down!
    >|
    >| Paul

    Is it possible that this is caused by the file being in use during the
    install? Try loading the task manager and checking to see if there are
    programs/processes running that can be shut down.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 9, 2004
  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks for all your comments

    I have attempted to install

    4 times from CD
    2 times from download
    2 times from CD files copied onto HDD and run from there

    I have tried with literally everything shut down, and in safe mode

    The cd expands files to a temporary folder. The first error message offers
    the option to continue without installing this file, but it then comes up
    with another error box pointing to the temporary folder, you still cant get
    anywhere with "retry" and it then shuts down, removes half of what it's put
    in and tells you that XP may not work properly.

    I have pasted all the error messages into a word document but its a bit
    large to attach (even zipped)

    I'm baffled.

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 9, 2004
  7. Paul

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in

    > Thanks for all your comments
    >
    > I have attempted to install
    >
    > 4 times from CD
    > 2 times from download
    > 2 times from CD files copied onto HDD and run from there
    >
    > I have tried with literally everything shut down, and in safe mode
    >
    > The cd expands files to a temporary folder. The first error message
    > offers the option to continue without installing this file, but it
    > then comes up with another error box pointing to the temporary folder,
    > you still cant get anywhere with "retry" and it then shuts down,
    > removes half of what it's put in and tells you that XP may not work
    > properly.
    >
    > I have pasted all the error messages into a word document but its a
    > bit large to attach (even zipped)
    >
    > I'm baffled.

    Have you gone to Explorer and right-clicked the HDD <C>
    Properties/Tools/Check Now to check the HDD for any errors and have the
    O/S remove or fix any bad tracks or sectors?

    If you're using FAT32 and not NTFS, then you may want to switch to NTFS
    that is more fault tolerant.

    It may be that you have a problem with the HDD and the install is using
    the same area of the HDD (bad sectors or tracks) over and over and it's
    having trouble reading files, if you're having the same problems no
    matter which way you try to install SP2.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Oct 9, 2004
  8. Paul

    gb Guest

    Maybe your version of XP is pirated.

    gb, Oct 9, 2004
  9. Paul

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| Thanks for all your comments
    >|
    >| I have attempted to install
    >|
    >| 4 times from CD
    >| 2 times from download
    >| 2 times from CD files copied onto HDD and run from there
    >|
    >| I have tried with literally everything shut down, and in safe mode
    >|
    >| The cd expands files to a temporary folder. The first error message
    >| offers the option to continue without installing this file, but it
    >| then comes up with another error box pointing to the temporary
    >| folder, you still cant get anywhere with "retry" and it then shuts
    >| down, removes half of what it's put in and tells you that XP may not
    >| work properly.
    >|
    >| I have pasted all the error messages into a word document but its a
    >| bit large to attach (even zipped)
    >|
    >| I'm baffled.
    >|
    >| Paul

    email that to me...timothymayer at hotmail dot com

    I had similar problems at work due to a modified logon routine (Novell
    networking). It was looking for files to install that were not even part of
    SP2 or Windows! I had to locate the files manually and tell the install
    program where to find them.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 9, 2004